50 miles

johnny_hotdog

So I go in on friday and look at my route on the computer to get an idea of what I have as I was running a cut route. The ODO was all sorts of messed up but it wasn't optimized yet so I didn't think much if it. After I pulled out of the building and downloaded my orion I start looking and see that it was even more messed up. I thought Orion was supposed to save miles but since it was friday I decided to run it my way and came in 50 miles under my projected miles! If that doesn't show them that Orion sucks nothing will.

ManInBrown

I ran a garbage route they put together last minute one time, that had me start in a town about 20 minutes from the center. Do a few stops. Then drive to another town 20 more minutes away. All the rest of the work I thought was in that second town. I come to the last page and I had to drive all the way back to the first town that was in the total opposite direction of the center, to do 3 more stops that were right where I was first thing in the morning. It's there show. I'm just a worker bee. WAD and let the money pile up

watdaflock?

It would be interesting to find out if they kept track how often drivers beat Orion on miles and (if) anyone fwds that info to the necessary decision makers.

Last edited:

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I average upwards of 190 miles per day. I can consistently beat ORION miles by at least 30. I choose to follow ORION most days as it drops my dispatch by around 25 stops.
When I'm driving, I'm not lifting. Easier on the body and miles are money!

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
I average 50 miles of driving per day on my route so I find it very hard to believe that you could beat the Orion projection by 50 (or 60) miles.

I drive 80 miles just getting to and from my delivery area. Routes can very greatly.

Almost and hour and a half when no stops are being made, but that time is used to determine SPORH.
Granted those miles help my plan, but I have to stay busy once I am on area.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I drive 80 miles just getting to and from my delivery area. Routes can very greatly.

Almost and hour and a half when no stops are being made, but that time is used to determine SPORH.
Granted those miles help my plan, but I have to stay busy once I am on area.

We have routes where you drive 50 miles or so before delivering your first package.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Then why the first comment? Either you have some understanding or you don't.

My first comment had nothing to do with the second.

The routes where you have to drive 50 miles or so before delivering your first package are generally for a single zip code. I used to cover one of those routes and the total miles used to average around 150. There would be no way in the world that I could beat that route by 50 miles.

I posted the mileage of my current delivery route to try to put in to perspective just how tough it would be to beat Orion by 50 miles.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So I go in on friday and look at my route on the computer to get an idea of what I have as I was running a cut route. The ODO was all sorts of messed up but it wasn't optimized yet so I didn't think much if it. After I pulled out of the building and downloaded my orion I start looking and see that it was even more messed up. I thought Orion was supposed to save miles but since it was friday I decided to run it my way and came in 50 miles under my projected miles! If that doesn't show them that Orion sucks nothing will.

Did they plan a split and then switch it back? That really messes up the loop.

JL 0513

The highest mileage routes in my center only reach about 110 miles a day. The furthest route to get to is 17 miles. About a 45 route center.

Re-Raise

Last week Orion had me delivering a single air package to an address as my first stop at 8:45 and then returning at 4:45 to deliver the other 223 packages for that address.

You can't make this stuff up

Holydriver

That doesn't matter. Orion is to save mikes while putting more stops in the truck. You'll notice that a route that used to have 105 stops on a heavy day now has 120 on a typical day after Orion. Thing is, you'll have roughly the same amount of miles as you did before Orion came around.

Holydriver

I average 50 miles of driving per day on my route so I find it very hard to believe that you could beat the Orion projection by 50 (or 60) miles.
I see it all the time. Especially in the country will routes that have pick up stops all over the place. Orion calculated those miles, while the driver may not even need to make the drive.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Last week Orion had me delivering a single air package to an address as my first stop at 8:45 and then returning at 4:45 to deliver the other 223 packages for that address.

You can't make this stuff up
224 parcels for one stop? Takes me close to two days to peddle that many parcels!