50 yrs of Embargo of cuba. Why??

texan

Perhaps the same type of people are in charge that pointed Nukes at us in the first place. Let us not forget.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Perhaps the same type of people are in charge that pointed Nukes at us in the first place. Let us not forget.

I still remember the "duck and cover" drills we did in grade school, not that they would have done a bit of good. As soon as Castro assumes room temperature, I'm all for normalizing relations with Cuba.

804brown

They asked for nukes to protect themselves. Remember the Bay of Pigs invasion?? Kennedy and the generals wanted castro gone by any means necessary including illegal invasions!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The USSR dropped support for Cuba a long time ago (when the USSR broke apart) so they are not much of a threat to anyone except fans of the Red Scare. Right now, they might try and lob a 57' Chevy and some cigars at us (yippee!!), but that's about all they've got besides tired old rhetoric. This won't stop Fox News from saying that they are just waiting for their chance to "take over" (LOL).

DS

Fenderbender
I'm just thinking out loud here.It's a poor but beautiful country.Prolonging the embargo helps nobody.Resuming trade and tourism with them would be beneficial to both of you.It would be a close,affordable travel option for Americans seeking a tropical vacation,Cuba would benefit more,but I wonder if the Castro regime would welcome a new alliance.I would be leery as well if I was a well off (government) Cuban official.Maybe hollywood could use another Ricky Ricardo :beersmiley:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The relationship between Russia and Cuba can best be compared to that of UPS upper management and a center manager. Both Cuba and the center manager are mere puppets and unable to make decisions on their own. The embargo should have been lifted a long time ago.

rod

Retired 22 years
I guess I don't care one way or the other. I sold my 1954, 1956 and 1959 Chevys a long time ago.

DS

Fenderbender
And tropical Cuba without Americans even better ! LOL ;)
The browncafe community finds this offensive.
Being that 99% of the members are Americans.
Freedom of speech is allowed.
Racism,however will not be tolerated.:usaflag2:

P

pickup

As we have seen in past presidential elections, Florida can be a key swing state. It has a good number of pissed off Cuban exiles and their descendants. No political party is going to risk the wrath of this small but influential electorate. Until the death of Castro or more reforms in Cuba(and even then), nothing substantial is going to change in regards to this embargo.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Cuba has a new business partner...China.
They are drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico, you know that place that bhos has placed off limited to all US based drilling.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Cuba has a new business partner...China.
They are drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico, you know that place that bhos has placed off limited to all US based drilling.

Did it ever occur to you that China's economy is as dependent on us as we are on them? As long as we keep buying WalMart crap produced by Chinese cheap labor the Chinese are further enabled to take a bigger piece of the world's economic "pie". So, every time you support the Walton family by buying your cheap Chinese-made anything at WalMart or any other US company that produces there, you have provided China the cash to partner with Cuba, Iran, or any of the corrupt African countries to get the resources they (China) need to feed their pet American pig.

They will get the oil and ore they need wherever they want, and the American consumer only has themselves and GOP leaders like Romney to blame for it. Cuba is small potatoes, my friend.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Strange that you never look at almost all of the boxes shipped with your company.
A majority of them have Made in China on them.
And very few are actually WalMart products.
If you must blame any GOP leaders, don't blame today's , blame Nixon.
After all he was the first to open up trade talks with China.

xfdxgroundmgmt

Imo................ These days the south Florida Cuban's need it to stay off limits to the U.S.A. because they are the ones able to bring America to Cuba and make alot of $$$$.