6 to 1 outside hire question

PT sup here, if Im interested in driving and we are due for an outside hire, can I apply? If so, if I don't make it do I go back to my old job?

Thanks

InsideUPS

Zeromissed......I don't see why you could not be the outside hire.... and yes....I believe that you would simply go back to your original position if for some reason you would not qualify....

Think positive..... let your manager know your interested... and go for it.

Best of Luck.....

_Mayday_

Yes Really
Just had a pt sup go driving in my building and he was telling me if he didn't make it that was it, no going back to his old job like the teamsters get to do. Worth verifying with your HR person.

brown_trousers

I heard they reserve those 1 in 6 hires for PT sups that want to become ride along sups. I talked to one of the sups that was getting the 1 in 6, he said the center manager told him he would make his job hell if he took that 1 in 6 spot and then didnt take the ride-along position in 6 months when they offer it to him.

They say you don't get your old pt sup job back. Because you are an "off the street hire." But if I seen at least 1 get their job back. You may also have to take a pay cut.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I heard they reserve those 1 in 6 hires for PT sups that want to become ride along sups. I talked to one of the sups that was getting the 1 in 6, he said the center manager told him he would make his job hell if he took that 1 in 6 spot and then didnt take the ride-along position in 6 months when they offer it to him.

What is a ride along supe? We call them On Car Supes, although they aren't on car that often.

BrownTie

Zeromissed: First of all, what are your intentions? Did you want to go full time to gain a little driving experience to become a Full Time Supervisor?. What is your goal?.. Be aware that during your 30 days, make sure your trainer reviews with you the expectations you must accomplish on a weekly bases. Have a shop steward available during the review. Follow the methods from safety to delivery. Good Luck.

I would rather go driving. I do think about FT on road sup. I don't know if I can make a commitment to move to another center at the drop of a hat though. I talk to my current on road sup daily about it. I guess I would just have to see how it went. I do miss the union I must say. I just feel as though I'm in a rut and I need to do something about it.

I would rather go driving. I do think about FT on road sup. I don't know if I can make a commitment to move to another center at the drop of a hat though. I talk to my current on road sup daily about it. I guess I would just have to see how it went. I do miss the union I must say. I just feel as though I'm in a rut and I need to do something about it.

keep reminding them that you want to go driving. You don't want them to slip a transfer into that position.

j13501

Two comments:

First, the rules about returning to your part time sup job if you fail to qualify are (like most things at UPS), different based on where in the country you are. There are many local contract agreements that have been established over the years regarding part time sups driving. Some parts of the country allow you to return to your sup job, others do not. Make sure as was mentioned before, that you check with H.R. for the rules in your building.

Secondly, the key thing that you have to understand is that, your division manager certainly understands the value of that, one "off the street hire". I hope you are the best part-time supervisor in your building because your Management team will want to reward that "best" part-time supervisor with a full time job. It makes sense - recognizing a person for excellent results is not only fair, it's good motivation for all the part-time supervisors because they see that a person's hard work is rewarded. Good Luck.

Mapp

Choo Choo
Two comments:
your Management team will want to reward that "best" part-time supervisor with a full time job. It makes sense - recognizing a person for excellent results is not only fair, it's good motivation for all the part-time supervisors because they see that a person's hard work is rewarded.

Hilarious. :happy-very:

In my area I have seen a couple PT sups be allowed to drive during the free period/peak season (10-1 to 12-31) with the goal of them getting experience and then returning to their PT sup position until a full time sup opening. Typically they are the ones that have shown an interest in full time mgmt and ultimately they will become on road sups ( how many drivers do you see putting their letter in...that's right, none) so it is a way for them to gain a smidge bit of experience before going full time. I can say that in my district, we have been burned by a number of PT sups that became drivers and then are not very successful (productive, safe, positive, customer service, etc.) so I think a few have ruined it for most. There is not a chance in hell that our division manager would allow a PT sup to become a full time driver. That may be wrong, but with the lack of drivers that want to become sups, the PT sup (with a couple months driving experience) that wants to be a supervisor will be a better on-road sup than someone brought over from IE that has Zero driving experience. Just my opinion...could be way off base, you tell me.