6 to 1

southern

contract says alternating 6 to 1 full time hires. so what happens if company passes up on the outside hire when its their turn? does it restart the 6 again and they wait for it again or can they just dangle it in air for whenever they feel like using it?

P

pickup

contract says alternating 6 to 1 full time hires. so what happens if company passes up on the outside hire when its their turn? does it restart the 6 again and they wait for it again or can they just dangle it in air for whenever they feel like using it?

Are you sure that there wasn't an outside hire??? The outside hire slot can go to an on road supervisor(someone working for the company already). This is how some people within the company get their friends/hidden relatives a short cut to a driving job.

southern

positive there was not one. ups chose not to use it and then pt moved up. then few years later another pt moved up. and now they say they will use it. language says alternating not dangle it in air until you want to use it. if you pass on it you should wait till next 6.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

positive there was not one. ups chose not to use it and then pt moved up. then few years later another pt moved up. and now they say they will use it. language says alternating not dangle it in air until you want to use it. if you pass on it you should wait till next 6.

Would that then mean they would have to hire 2 from the outside before any other PTers would be promoted?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Go ask the Union ... most likely this was agreed upon.
It does not matter what you ... it matters what the Union thinks.

It would seem a win-win ... two Union P/T got to go early while the company maintains the right to put a person they want for management in the position to learn the job from the ground up.

southern

Go ask the Union ... most likely this was agreed upon.
It does not matter what you ... it matters what the Union thinks.

It would seem a win-win ... two Union P/T got to go early while the company maintains the right to put a person they want for management in the position to learn the job from the ground up.

and there is the problem. too many agreed upon things in back rooms without any input from rank and file. 9.5 language change is another. union is forgetting who pays their salaries. or maybe not.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
and there is the problem. too many agreed upon things in back rooms without any input from rank and file. 9.5 language change is another. union is forgetting who pays their salaries. or maybe not.

Keep in mind that the Union is much like the National government.

You elect Union officials and they make the decisions ... that's the nature of representative organizations.

If the Union had not agreed to the delay, then the company would have hired someone off the street and the 2nd person that went driving would just now be getting their chance and you would still be in the same situation.

southern

Keep in mind that the Union is much like the National government.

You elect Union officials and they make the decisions ... that's the nature of representative organizations.

If the Union had not agreed to the delay, then the company would have hired someone off the street and the 2nd person that went driving would just now be getting their chance and you would still be in the same situation.

so you think they should be able to postpone that hire and eventually collect them and exercise say 2 at one time? i feel like alternating means just that. 6 inside 1 outside. 6 inside 1 outside. if they pass on their 1 then it should start over. if not the word alternating means nothing.

How involved are you in your local union??? What kind of things do you do to be involved besides the paying of dues???

Catatonic

Nine Lives
so you think they should be able to postpone that hire and eventually collect them and exercise say 2 at one time? i feel like alternating means just that. 6 inside 1 outside. 6 inside 1 outside. if they pass on their 1 then it should start over. if not the word alternating means nothing.

I don't have any thoughts on this.

I was simply presenting a logical explanation of why.

You are emotionally involved in this which tends to cloud critical thinking.

My suggestion is that you should contact your Union, get the facts and then develop a logical and rational argument and take appropriate actions.

Just trying to see what you do to be so involved to criticize your local and make accusations of back room deals. If you aren't involved you really have no clue what you are talking about.

southern

not saying corrupt things are going on just that deals are made without consulting stewards in our areas centers. shouldnt a union consult its members on major things that affect them?

menotyou

bella amicizia
The 6-1 'card', as we call it in our center, hasn't been used in years. The scuttlebutt about it is that they are holding on to it for just the right moment. I guess I wasn't the right moment. :rofl:

southern

ba has said it would be a waste of time to file? well our center will waste his time then. and appeal if possible. i was just looking on here for advice for a fellow employee.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

ba has said it would be a waste of time to file? well our center will waste his time then. and appeal if possible. i was just looking on here for advice for a fellow employee.

What would you file on? It sounds as though this actually favored the union by allowing a PTer to be promoted earlier than they should have been had the company used their outside hire.