6 Years And.......

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Our routes are up for bid this year, and for the past 6 years I've been on the same route. I guess the guy from across town thought that this route would be better than the route he is currently on, so he bumped me. Though I've become comfortable on this route, which is far from easy, though I make it look that way, I know that this is life and many things don't last in life. At times change can be good, so I'm going to accept this change as God's will, and move on to bigger and better things.

No, this doesn't mean I'm quitting UPS, or God forbid, going into MGMT. It simply means that some things are not in my control, I realize that, and won't fight against this change. Hey, I might even find better things to take pictures of.

Will I pick the "Downtown" route, will I pick a "Central" route, or will I take the route "Out West"? To be continued....

TheKid

Good luck STUG. I have moved the last two bids . . . it is like the first day of school all over again when you start a new route.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Bid for life in my building. Do you still pull the TP60? Guy's that don't pull trailers have no idea what a pain they are until it's their responsibility. Well good luck.

bigbrownhen

Yep, we have long term bids here too. Thank goodness. I like my route and have a decent idea of what time I'll be home most of the time. There have been drivers bumped here last year, but that was due to routes being eliminated. There were some guys who had been on route for 10 yrs or more bumped.

Best of luck to you on your new route Steve. You have the right attitude about the change, everything else will fall into place. :happy2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Bid for life in my building. Do you still pull the TP60? Guy's that don't pull trailers have no idea what a pain they are until it's their responsibility. Well good luck.
No, and I think that's why he bid the route. That and the fact that since I'm being divorced, I've been running and gunning, (though not skipping lunch, LOL), on the days I need to pick up my girls. I try to get them while there's still daylight so we can go swimming, rollerblading and such. Thank God for daylight savings time!

The new driver is in for an awakening when he finds out that things just don't come off that fast, unless you're willing to sacrifice yourself. I predict one dissatisfied driver.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Yep, we have long term bids here too. Thank goodness. I like my route and have a decent idea of what time I'll be home most of the time. There have been drivers bumped here last year, but that was due to routes being eliminated. There were some guys who had been on route for 10 yrs or more bumped.

Best of luck to you on your new route Steve. You have the right attitude about the change, everything else will fall into place. :happy2:
Thanks bbh! Same happening here. One senior driver bumped another, and so on, and so on..........

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
No, and I think that's why he bid the route. That and the fact that since I'm being divorced, I've been running and gunning, (though not skipping lunch, LOL), on the days I need to pick up my girls. I try to get them while there's still daylight so we can go swimming, rollerblading and such. Thank God for daylight savings time!

The new driver is in for an awakening when he finds out that things just don't come off that fast, unless you're willing to sacrifice yourself. I predict one dissatisfied driver.

So you are saying that some drivers work faster than others, while still taking lunch. You are stirring the BC pot.:angry:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
So you are saying that some drivers work faster than others, while still taking lunch. You are stirring the BC pot.:angry:
LOL, ain't that the truth. There are R/G's that skip lunch, take lunch and finish way early. There are fast method driver's that do both as well. As for me, right now I'm the perfect combination of both, or so I think.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We bid every two years, I signed the bid list again for the seventh time on my current route. Hopefully you get a better route and this works out as a plus for you.

over9five

Staff member
Come to Feeders. I bid this job last week, and was bumped the next day. Job before that was for 3 weeks. Job before that 2 weeks.
New job next week.

Jobs here have to be posted any time there is a change in start time, change in content, when someone goes on comp/disability, or when a senior man has to pass wind. Starts the whole bumping process.

Raw

Raw Member
Lot`s of route changes here, an over 25 year driver on a route for over 25 years bid off ! I think the new virtual time study here caused a route change domino effect. It`s good to change routes, keeps everyone on their toes and keeps us from getting bored and complacent. :happy-very:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've never stayed on a route more than 2 years, just bid this one for the second year. I'm in town now, next bid I think I'm going back out to the country.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Our routes are up for bid this year, and for the past 6 years I've been on the same route. I guess the guy from across town thought that this route would be better than the route he is currently on, so he bumped me. Though I've become comfortable on this route, which is far from easy, though I make it look that way, I know that this is life and many things don't last in life. At times change can be good, so I'm going to accept this change as God's will, and move on to bigger and better things.

No, this doesn't mean I'm quitting UPS, or God forbid, going into MGMT. It simply means that some things are not in my control, I realize that, and won't fight against this change. Hey, I might even find better things to take pictures of.

Will I pick the "Downtown" route, will I pick a "Central" route, or will I take the route "Out West"? To be continued....

No matter which route it is, it should be interesting to meet some new people and learn new things along the way. Good luck Steve!

Your approach and what you wrote reminded me of a chapter out of a fun philosphy book I was reading last year...

http://www.amazon.com/60-Second-Philosopher-Expand-Your-Minute/dp/1851686886

The premise is - everyone likes to say that there are many different choices in life and many paths to choose, so choose wisely..

That does beg the question: are there really many paths to choose, Or is there only one path and no path not taken- because the path you choose is the only path? (very basic bottom line of the chapter, anyway lol)

good luck, keep us posted!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Come to Feeders. I bid this job last week, and was bumped the next day. Job before that was for 3 weeks. Job before that 2 weeks.
New job next week.

Jobs here have to be posted any time there is a change in start time, change in content, when someone goes on comp/disability, or when a senior man has to pass wind. Starts the whole bumping process.

Been a few days but I've heard some interesting rumors. lol One is (unrelated to the feeder rumors) that there were 60-70 part-timers laid off in the hub, and 0 of them agreed to go to the preload to continue working. How sad is that?

:D

Tony31yrs

We used to bid every year and then it changed to every two years. The good thing about bidding every so often was that there could always be some total pain of a business moving onto a route and ruining it or IE making changes that screwed up the time allowance.
I stayed on my last two routes for ten years each. After that, the customers got too used to me and started to take advantage by asking me to wait, come back, not ready, etc. The thing that got me ticked off was that they would be ready with pickups for the runners that would fill in for me when I was off, but often couldn't do me a favor by being ready early when I needed to get done early.
Some senior drivers would stay on really hard routes because they were afraid to learn a new one. I felt sorry for some of the older guys that were run ragged or working on their own time because they couldn't do the route. Of course if they were too stupid to stay on it, that was their problem.If I had a route that you couldn't do while taking a lunch, I wouldn't stay on it long. After a month or so, you learn the best way to run a route and what shortcuts you can take.