6 Years And.......

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
we are every 2 yrs,, there has been alot of moves,, worst thing is, there is no training on the new routes,, people are told to just use ed and go

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I move every year. It is always fun to bump a junior driver that think it is their route and they own it.
They're so cute when they get their first route :happy-very:.
Years ago we had a guy who really seemed to think he was going to be on his first route "forever". He even bought his house on route so he could go home for lunch. When he got bumped we thought we were gonna have to put him on a suicide watch.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
We bid every two years as well. I am 9th of 53 and have been on my route 8 years this month. The current bid started the first of this month and about 85% of the center has changed routes.It has gotten ugly between some drivers who were bid off their routes,and the two on-car-supes have been frantic as their precious production numbers have gone in the toilet due to people learning routes. It has been great entertainment for me

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I took the day off today. I was going to wait till the end of the day to choose, but I did it right after driver start time. I chose the route out west that is semi-rural. I've covered this one a bunch while I was swinging, so I hope it's not too hard to remember. On, and I won't be on the new route for at least a week..............VACATION!!!

tourists24

Lot`s of route changes here, an over 25 year driver on a route for over 25 years bid off ! I think the new virtual time study here caused a route change domino effect. It`s good to change routes, keeps everyone on their toes and keeps us from getting bored and complacent. :happy-very:
do the virtual time studies seem to make things better or worse?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
. I felt sorry for some of the older guys that were run ragged or working on their own time because they couldn't do the route. Of course if they were too stupid to stay on it, that was their problem.If I had a route that you couldn't do while taking a lunch, I wouldn't stay on it long. After a month or so, you learn the best way to run a route and what shortcuts you can take.

I can take a lunch on any route, no matter how many stops they load on it.

The trick is to pull over and take your lunch first. Once you have eaten and taken your full meal period, then you call in to let your sup know about how many of those stops you will be sheeting as missed.

The beauty of this method is that it eliminates all of the arguing and whining and negotiating. You arent asking for any help; you are merely a messenger who is calling in to inform them that they have a problem. They can choose to solve their problem or they can choose not to solve their problem. You get paid the same either way.

barnyard

KTM rider
I have been covering a route for almost 4 years. The 'owner' of the route and UPS settled the worker's comp claim and he is no longer with UPS, so the route went up for bid. I did not get it and will go back to covering routes. I called my supe today and reminded him that I take all my lunch on route, right before my pick ups. I told him that I expect the routes that I cover to be dispatched accordingly. I told him that I would not cover his mistakes (deliver businesses until pick ups start, then take break right before I punch out.) The driver that had that route, said he was sick of delivering until his pick ups started, so he bid off the route.

So easy to fix.

If the route is dispatched per the norm, there will be 15-20 missed businesses on Monday.

If it is not fixed by Tuesday, besides missed businesses, I will also file an over/excessive 9.5 grievance (worked over 9.5 every day this week, I do most days, but today I gave notice, that next week, I expect more manageable days.)

I will use the tools available in the contract to make my day bearable.

Tony31yrs

A lot of guys in our center used to like to take the downtown routes because everything closed at 5 o'clock. As the supes put more work on the routes, they started taking lunch at the end of the day. Management saw what they were doing and broke up the residential city routes and added the stops onto the business routes. All of a sudden, the 5 o'clock routes were getting done at 7 and no one wanted to bid them. The drivers pretty much screwed themselves.
I once had a suburban route that was 95% business. They tried putting more business stops on me and there was no way I could take a lunch and have no missed businesses because there weren't many residentials to save for after 5. I started calling in and telling my super that I would have missed businesses and he wound up having to come out and take work off me or sending another driver out. When he asked where they could find me, I told him I would be taking lunch for the next 45 minutes. After 3 days of this, he took work off of me.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The only time one of our routes goes up for bid is when someone vacates it. Either by getting fired or retiring or going back to utility (cover).

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The only time one of our routes goes up for bid is when someone vacates it. Either by getting fired or retiring or going back to utility (cover).
I saw your picture today while sitting near the computer. It popped up during the screensaver on my computer. I'm REALLY sorry I didn't go along with you guys on the cruise.

Driveslayer

Sounds like Karma to me! You run and gun it for the old boss, which makes your route appear to be easier than it is. Then your upset that a more senior driver bumps you! Now everyone is screwed. Also US1 is not safe to drive on while your bulkhead door is open and talking on your cell. Too much eratic traffic. How many accidents have you had in the past two years? Just wondering.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Stung

Getting bumped is part of UPS life for some. John, the guy that ran the route next to mine (well actually my old route when John started) got bumped this year. Been on it for almost 20 years. It will be interesting to see how that route picks up additional volume. It seems that John has been getting by pretty easy because he is the supplier of college football tickets to management. We will see if that continues with someone else running the route.

As to being divorced, that is really tough. And to be totally in love with your girls makes it even tougher. Some parents think of their kids the same way others think of the bag that lunch came in. Shame your wife is not that type.

Enjoy life, accept challenges, overcome adversity, stand tall, and love your children with a passion every time you get the chance. Not saying you should spoil them.........

d