60 Minutes Story on Departure of DHL from Wilmington OH

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

60 Minutes is currently airing a story on the effects of DHL's decision to close it's US operations and the loss of 10,000 jobs in Wilmington alone. Truly puts things in to perspective for me and shows just how pathetic the "turkeys" thread is.

bones

I just watched it, couldn't agree more, think I will spend less time next year complaining about my job and more time thanking God I have one to complain about.

TheDick

Thats an old one. A few months old from first air-time. I cant say i feel sorry for sub-sidizing themsleves with the german post office money to push there way into a saturated market. Yeah it was sad.A year before DHL quit ground shipping my local DHL facility was about to vote the teamsters in but the franchise owner sold it to another guy who sort-of fired everybody and made them all temps thru an agency. They went from 18$ an hour to 10$/no bennies. They all gave 2week notice

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thats an old one. A few months old from first air-time. I cant say i feel sorry for sub-sidizing themsleves with the german post office money to push there way into a saturated market. Yeah it was sad.A year before DHL quit ground shipping my local DHL facility was about to vote the teamsters in but the franchise owner sold it to another guy who sort-of fired everybody and made them all temps thru an agency. They went from 18$ an hour to 10$/no bennies. They all gave 2week notice

This story was actually an update on the original story.

trouble maker

HBO did a story about 5 months ago on the pull out of a General Motors production plant in Ohio. It was sad, it was being shut down a few days before Christmas last year. 2,000 people lost their jobs. It's amazing how much we take for granted sometimes, isn't it?

airbusfxr

This is an old story but I guess it was updated. The Thanksgiving Rachel Ray and Nick Lachey benefit show was someone actually helping the folks.

Mapp

Choo Choo
The way UPS keeps wasting money with stupid performance measurements instead of cost we are going end up the same.

When you get down to the guys who actually have their hands on things, they know what to do. They can design, engineer, and build the best products in the world. My question is: Why haven't we unleashed their potential? The answer is: the General Motors system. It's like a blanket of fog that keeps these people from doing what they know needs to be done. I come from an environment where, if you see a snake, you kill it. At GM, if you see a snake, the first thing you do is go hire a consultant on snakes. Then you get a committee on snakes, and then you discuss it for a couple of years. The most likely course of action is -- nothing. You figure, the snake hasn't bitten anybody yet, so you just let him crawl around on the factory floor. We need to build an environment where the first guy who sees the snake kills it. At Electronic Data Systems employees were trained from the day they joined the company to spend all day serving the customer, getting results, being the best in the world -- not being good bureaucrats. At GM the stress is not on getting results -- on winning -- but on bureaucracy, on conforming to the GM system. You get to the top of General Motors not by doing something, but by not making a mistake. You form groups, hold meetings, get consensuses, don't make decisions. You just kind of let this big old log keep rolling, knowing that sooner or later you're going to retire and get a big retirement anyhow. One day I made a speech to some senior executives. I said, ''Okay, guys, I'm going to give you the whole code on what's wrong. You don't like your customers. You don't like your dealers. You don't like the people who make your cars. You don't like your stockholders. And, to a large extent, you don't like one another.-Ross Perot

Anyone see any parallels between GM and UPS?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Say what you want, but they set out to steal as much volume, which in turn means job, from UPS. If it was your job, and you couldn't hang out at Dunkin' Donuts and stop home to post on Brown Cafe each day, I bet you would reconsider the above statement.

I wasn't looking at it from the viewpoint of our jobs vs theirs. I was trying to be more compassionate and look at what has been left in the wake of their departure.

If we were to close the Plattsburgh center the impact of losing 200+ jobs would be felt but we are talking about the loss of over 9K jobs in one city.

We are talking about people going to food kitchens daily.

I wasn't looking to start a fight over this but was trying to show just how lucky we truly are to have what we have.

Dave

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I wasn't looking at it from the viewpoint of our jobs vs theirs. I was trying to be more compassionate and look at what has been left in the wake of their departure.

If we were to close the Plattsburgh center the impact of losing 200+ jobs would be felt but we are talking about the loss of over 9K jobs in one city.

We are talking about people going to food kitchens daily.

I wasn't looking to start a fight over this but was trying to show just how lucky we truly are to have what we have.

Dave
I'm with you on all points except for the "lucky" part. I don't see luck having anything to do UPS's or my success. Nor did luck play a role in DHL's demise.

tarbar66

:happy2:
The way UPS keeps wasting money with stupid performance measurements instead of cost we are going end up the same.

When you get down to the guys who actually have their hands on things, they know what to do. They can design, engineer, and build the best products in the world. My question is: Why haven't we unleashed their potential? The answer is: the General Motors system. It's like a blanket of fog that keeps these people from doing what they know needs to be done. I come from an environment where, if you see a snake, you kill it. At GM, if you see a snake, the first thing you do is go hire a consultant on snakes. Then you get a committee on snakes, and then you discuss it for a couple of years. The most likely course of action is -- nothing. You figure, the snake hasn't bitten anybody yet, so you just let him crawl around on the factory floor. We need to build an environment where the first guy who sees the snake kills it. At Electronic Data Systems employees were trained from the day they joined the company to spend all day serving the customer, getting results, being the best in the world -- not being good bureaucrats. At GM the stress is not on getting results -- on winning -- but on bureaucracy, on conforming to the GM system. You get to the top of General Motors not by doing something, but by not making a mistake. You form groups, hold meetings, get consensuses, don't make decisions. You just kind of let this big old log keep rolling, knowing that sooner or later you're going to retire and get a big retirement anyhow. One day I made a speech to some senior executives. I said, ''Okay, guys, I'm going to give you the whole code on what's wrong. You don't like your customers. You don't like your dealers. You don't like the people who make your cars. You don't like your stockholders. And, to a large extent, you don't like one another.-Ross Perot

Anyone see any parallels between GM and UPS?

Where would this country be if Ross Perot had been successful in his run for President?

bbsam

Staff member
:happy2:

Where would this country be if Ross Perot had been successful in his run for President?
The "giant sucking sound" would be the Chinese pulling all of their investment capital out of the country leaving a capital starved economy in the throws of stagflation that would make us pine for the Carter administration.