7/11 want me to sign their log.

browniehound

I could go both ways on this one. One side says "I i'm not signing anything just because you tell me" but the other side says "who cares"? I'm thinking, "who cares"?

Which brings up another question. What the heck are these people looking for when they want my signature? Am I going to be hauled into court some day and some 7/11 owner will be shouting out "LOOK LOOK! YOU SIGNED THIS LOG! IT SAYS YOU BROUGHT MY CAT FOOD THAT I DIDN'T GET!!!"

My response, yeah OK buddy, I'll sign it if it makes you happy.

It still begs the question, what the hell are they looking for???

Its like these customers that insist I sign the end of day when they are right there to witness and help me load the pick-up. Its fine if they are not there when I make the pick-up and I sign to let them know I was there, but I have these idiots that insist I sign the end of day in front of them??? I just want to know why???

Then you have the customers that save the end of day. For heavens sake, its a sticker with a freaking BAR CODE on it??? What the heck good is it after I scan it???? Its served its purpose and its time to through in the trash.

The customer can not ascertain any information regarding their shipments from that bar-code, yet some are hell-bent on me signing it and them keeping it. Also, when I sign my name its just a scribble, but some idiots still want me to do it.

This also begs another question: has any customer that has questioned a shipment ever taken the signed end of day and brought it to a UPS facility and "LOOK HERE THE DRIVER SIGNED THIS, WHERE IS MY PACKAGE"? These people are just total geeks and have no idea why they want me to sign the end of day anymore than I have of why I'm actually signing it?

By the way, my name is Joe Mafunzello and one customer doesn't believe it when I write it clearly on their end of day. If this is something you worry about on a daily basis then I truly feel sorry for you.....We'll just call them "end of day" neurotics....

For the love of God's great green earth, focus on something that matters, no? Why are you focused on my end of day barcode, lol?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The numbers within the end of day barcode reveal much more than you may think. The number(s) 2 digits in from the end is the total number of packages that were processed and that you are stating/signing that you picked up. Look for this number the next time you scan the end of day. Some customers treat the end of day as though it were gospel while others throw it in the trash as soon as I scan it. You need to work with each of them to determine the importance they place on it. I often have customers who either did not process their end of day or could not get it to print. I jokingly tell them not to worry as we will bill them anyway.

dillweed

Is it possible that the orders to sign that log came from someone in management? Someone who sits in an office high above the common clerk and makes up extra procedures for some reason or another? Is it possible that the clerk is just following directions to keep his job? hmmm.. sound familiar?

bigbrownhen

Is it possible that the orders to sign that log came from someone in management? Someone who sits in an office high above the common clerk and makes up extra procedures for some reason or another? Is it possible that the clerk is just following directions to keep his job? hmmm.. sound familiar?

Yes, Steve stated in earlier posts 7-11 management is requesting this procedure due to the theft of money orders. Just how having us sign this log will help them determine who the thief is escapes me, but then again, I'm just a truck driver. What are they doing, cross checking the names of people cashing said money orders with the log? Aren't those things trackable much like our packages?

tieguy

Banned
The Brown Cafe is all about dialogue, and sometimes the dialogue in a thread has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, like this, for instance. Signing logs and such may be common practice to you, where you are, but I've never done it before, so pardon me for starting a thread to see what others were thinking.

The problem with you starting this thread is you may not want to hear the answer and those posters that like you will kiss your but rather then give you the truth. What the BC is about you're not really asking for and you're not really getting.

I on the other hand think you're a little full of yourself so I'm not afraid to give you the truth unlike your friends here who tell you what you want to hear.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The problem with you starting this thread is you may not want to hear the answer and those posters that like you will kiss your but rather then give you the truth. What the BC is about you're not really asking for and you're not really getting.

I on the other hand think you're a little full of yourself so I'm not afraid to give you the truth unlike your friends here who tell you what you want to hear.

In my experience, it is not uncommon to be asked to sign various logs and rosters on route.
Probably where people become guarded in what they sign originates at the hub.
The bulk of paper UPS asks us to sign, which I don't as there is nothing in it for me, is designed to build cases against the employee.
In reading this thread, the biggest thing I see is that this log Steve is being asked to sign doesn't have anything on it indicating what it is that is being documented.
With that in mind, it seems reasonable to me to question or have reservations in signing this document.
Call it kissing his butt if you want Tie, I call it covering his butt.
This is a mindset that was fostered and developed by Steve and myself in our daily interactions with UPS management.

bbsam

Staff member
Maybe it's not that they are signing anything at all just that they think they are signing something. Kind of like having a Brinks Security sign in your front yard. Really, do you think the manager and assistant manager of a 7/11 go over the vendor logs at the end of the week?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sam's Club has 2 separate logs for vendors/deliveries. One of strictly for UPS/FedEx and the other is for everyone else. We are asked to sign and note how many packages we deliver. We are also asked to provide them with a copy of the previous day's deliveries but I can't seem to get our morning OMS to remember to print this out for me.

diesel96

I have delivered at 1000's of locations in my career and have been asked to sign in countless times, if this is all you have to worry about in a day then you are one hell of a lucky guy. After 9/11 the airport I delivered asked me to show my UPS I.D., my Drivers Liscense, and my S.S.I. card. So I did! You guys cry on here about rules and how UPS abuses them, well guess what other companies have rules too. I have not liked all the requests that customers have asked for and I have not followed them all either, but its a signature so just log in and go about your day.

I agree....Worried about signing a customer log sheet and exposing yourself, let's take this to the next level, since some of us drive on the Airport Tarmac, the County/Gov't wanted three forms of Gov't iD, fingerprints, FBI background checks, 3 hr's of classroom, and two final exams in order to recieve our airport Security SIDA badges and Ramp driver endorsements.

You know when our wives/girlfriends put on their favorite partydress and ask us guys if they look fat in it ? Just curious if your truthful then ? Or tell her what she wants to hear....:happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
I agree....Worried about signing a customer log sheet and exposing yourself, let's take this to the next level, since some of us drive on the Airport Tarmac, the County/Gov't wanted three forms of Gov't iD, fingerprints, FBI background checks, 3 hr's of classroom, and two final exams in order to recieve our airport Security SIDA badges and Ramp driver endorsements.

You know when our wives/girlfriends put on their favorite partydress and ask us guys if they look fat in it ? Just curious if your truthful then ? Or tell her what she wants to hear....:happy-very:

Not sure about yours but mine looks pretty darn good in pantyhose. hopefully this post won't lead to another attack on her here.

In a more direct response to your point , I am a point where I really don't take too much on this site seriously. Most of my comments are jokes or pokes with tongue in cheek. I post a smiley face if I think about it.

Raw

Raw Member
Not sure about yours but mine looks pretty darn good in pantyhose. hopefully this post won't lead to another attack on her here.

In a more direct response to your point , I am a point where I really don't take too much on this site seriously. Most of my comments are jokes or pokes with tongue in cheek. I post a smiley face if I think about it.
She needs pantyhose to cover up her very gross veins!:wink2:

tieguy

Banned
Another would imply that there was an initial attack, which there was not.

yet you tried to defend it by claiming he apologized for an attack you now try to say was never made. No wonder I can't take anything said seriously you liars change your stories every time you post....:)

You should probably accept 407's friend request looks like you may need it.

UPSSOCKS

A blood lab once asked me to sign their log, they said they were doing an audit and everyone that entered had to sign for a week, I refused and the nurse (Ratchet) went haywire and demanded my name to call in a complaint. I buckeled and signed, luckily I never had that work again but I have personally decided to boycott that lab company and use the competing lab instead! :dissapointed:

Way to go, because you behave like a child we probably have lost another customer. When you refused to help them with their audit they probably decided to boycott UPS and go with our competitor. You will be one of the people after the next contract asking why you have to pay for healthcare now. The reason you will be paying healthcare lies in every mirror you look in. It's your fault. Thanks for losing us customers....

UPSSOCKS

I always sign customer logs "UPS"

And that's all you need to do. It makes the customer happy, and holds no one accountable. If a customer wants you to sign something you should sign it. Just don't sign it in a way that could make you liable for anything...

Raw

Raw Member
Way to go, because you behave like a child we probably have lost another customer. When you refused to help them with their audit they probably decided to boycott UPS and go with our competitor. You will be one of the people after the next contract asking why you have to pay for healthcare now. The reason you will be paying healthcare lies in every mirror you look in. It's your fault. Thanks for losing us customers....
I feel bad now. :sad-very:

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I've delivered to 7-11s with logs. The logs always have spots for info that didn't pertain to what I am doing so I'd line through those spots when I'd sign it. My problem was that they wanted the packages in one part of the store and the log was in another. I told them "Lets make a deal. I'll sign it, but I am going to leave them right by the log." Done deal. everyone is happy.

Most things the customers ask are not difficult to do. Steve has a point though that if it is blank not to sign. I wouldn't want them to fill anything in. I've had customers say I have missed pick ups when I hadn't. Thank you GPS for proof.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I've delivered to 7-11s with logs. The logs always have spots for info that didn't pertain to what I am doing so I'd line through those spots when I'd sign it. My problem was that they wanted the packages in one part of the store and the log was in another. I told them "Lets make a deal. I'll sign it, but I am going to leave them right by the log." Done deal. everyone is happy.

Most things the customers ask are not difficult to do. Steve has a point though that if it is blank not to sign. I wouldn't want them to fill anything in. I've had customers say I have missed pick ups when I hadn't. Thank you GPS for proof.
Our deal is working pretty well, so far. I walk in with the pkgs, get the clerks attention, clerk gets the clipboard and fills out that UPS delivered how ever many pkgs, and while I sign their log, they sign the DIAD, and off I go.