-7 in Anchorage...operations affected?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
dewed ... saw it was -7 in Anchorage. You out on the ramp yet?

-46 in Fairbanks. What things special do you have to do when it's that cold?

trickpony1

Do they require the feeder drivers to shut the engine off at every opportunity to save fuel and make the idle time numbers look good?

(sarcasm)

rushfan

Albert Gore was right! It's hotter than hell out due to excess amounts of CO2 from cows farting, people drinking beer, and dead people rotting. We had the 2nd most amount of snow in recorded history.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hoax, when I was in the Air Force my job was to put gas on airplanes at Plattsburgh AFB. They would stop flying at -70F windchill. One night it was -68F windchill and it was business as usual.

drewed

Shankman
Yea beyond not bringing equipment inside during non operations and not being able to get it started the next morning no big issues i think we bottomed out at about -15 to 20 no wind no snow just bitterness

I'mTheMan

As I recall in my experience with airport operations, we had more than several equipments of problem that won't start like K-loaders, push backs, tug, even fuel truck were froze and couldn't fill the fuel to the aircraft causing big delays though. Did anyone or GSE ever though about putting "heet" which helps prevents fuel lines from freezing and it would help to start effectively in such deeper colder weather? I uses heet only when the temps were in 20 and 30's during snow storm. It helps really well keeping the engine running and for very cold start.

Big Babooba

Hoax, when I was in the Air Force my job was to put gas on airplanes at Plattsburgh AFB. They would stop flying at -70F windchill. One night it was -68F windchill and it was business as usual.
I've heard stories from some Air Force retirees about the haunted barracks on the Old Base.It had to do with a fire during the War of 1812 if I remember correctly.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've heard stories from some Air Force retirees about the haunted barracks on the Old Base.It had to do with a fire during the War of 1812 if I remember correctly.

These were stone barracks that still stand and are soon to be part of the recently opened museum on the Old Base. I have also heard those stories, although my time when I was stationed here was spent mostly on the flightline which was on the New Base.

Those retirees you speak of wouldn't recognize the base today. It closed in 1995 and now is the home of an international airport, businesses and base housing converted in to private houses.

rod

Retired 22 years
I've delivered when it's -42 below and believe me it's NO fun. NOTHING works right. Your tires feel like they are square, the widows frost up, everything squeeks and squawks and fights you. The boxes get so slippery it's hard to hang on to them. You stuff cardboard in front of the radiator and needless to say--the engine DON"T get shut off.

DS

Fenderbender
I had a day from hell a few years ago where it was so cold I had to tape the tracking labels on cuz they would not stick!..48 boxes resi basement,,,,its bad when you cant feel your fingers after 1 minute exposed

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The northeast is going down to single digit highs by the end of the week.

That is gonna suck, it's no -42, but it still will suck :cold: