$70 a share...sorry ,but im excited

probellringer

sorry swordfish for disappointing you-but its the little things that make me happy-this is good news for all of us --it is a MESSAGE BOARD...

klein

Für Meno :)
If it stays at $70 very long will it split?

I'm just a truck driver.

No ! Stocks don't split at $70 a share. $700 a share, then they might.

I find it good UPS stock finally caught up, even after being downgraded earlier this week from "buy" to "hold" .
But, if I would have bought any while I was working at UPS, I would just be at the breakeven point now.
$53 a share was $70 Can dollars.
Now $70 a share is $70 Can dollars.

But, for all american investors, yes, it's a nice gain.

trickpony1

I find it good UPS stock finally caught up, even after being downgraded earlier this week from "buy" to "hold" .
But, if I would have bought any while I was working at UPS, I would just be at the breakeven point now.

I don't claim to be a rocket scientist but if a stock price gets high enough people will quit buying it. My knowledge of the stock price when it was privately held indicates it didn't get any where near what you propose before it split.

I'm just a truck driver so I could be wrong.

Actually ,Mr. Goldman Sachs, stocks split at any dollar level. Stick to selling vacations and smuggled liquor.

probellringer

maybe its different on canadian exchange...i remember yrs ago pfizer was $85 --announced they were going to do a 3/1 split..it went to over $100 on that news-all stocks are different..some stocks do reverse splits when they are low priced-but what do i know im just a service provider

klein

Für Meno :)
maybe its different on canadian exchange...i remember yrs ago pfizer was $85 --announced they were going to do a 3/1 split..it went to over $100 on that news-all stocks are different..some stocks do reverse splits when they are low priced-but what do i know im just a service provider

No, kind of the same stock exchange here, but most companies will wait until stocks go in the hundred value.
Like Apple now trading at $262 or Google at $528. I would say Google is almost ready for a split.

rod

Retired 22 years
I quit trying to figure out the market years ago. When you think it should go up it don't and visa versa. All I know is if I had any UPS stock left I would sell now that it is back up to 70------oops too late - now its less than 70:dissapointed:

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
No, kind of the same stock exchange here, but most companies will wait until stocks go in the hundred value.
Like Apple now trading at $262 or Google at $528. I would say Google is almost ready for a split.

hummmmm, google was once at over 700 and didn't split.

For the first time in 15 years, I own zero UPS stock. Just unloaded my remaining shares.

I cleaned out my mellon account yesterday also. Sold two more 67.50 puts. If the 3 puts are exercised it would be like transferring the shares to a brokerage account at a cost of about $65.

SWORDFISH

How does this relate to me? I dont own and never have any stocks at all. Doesnt matter much to me whether the stock is up or down. Im glad your happy though. What am I supposed to be dissapointed about? :peaceful:

beatupbrown

Some companies have their stock at close to a 1,000 to keep the company basically private ,or just don’t need more money so they do not push more paper on the market .there are other reasons I am sure.

clueless

Some companies have their stock at close to a 1,000 to keep the company basically private ,or just don’t need more money so they do not push more paper on the market .there are other reasons I am sure.
Actually, a stock split does not raise additional equity capital for the company, it would require a secondary offering to accomplish that.

As far as the likelihood of UPS splitting the stock at ~$70, IMO they won't think about that until the stock price holds higher levels for a prolonged period of time. The stock was trading near $90 at one point, and there was no split. In fact there have been no splits of UPS' stock since its IPO, so I don't see what would motivate them to think along those lines now. ( BTW--speaking of stocks trading at high levels and not splitting, Berkshire Hathaway A shares are trading at $115,000+ and they still haven't split.)

rellek

hello fellow UPSers. B.a. in accounting here. Any questions ask away.
Any ways this quote was taken directly from one of my finance textbooks.

" A stock split can be derived from several factors which are: that the share price is either to high, and the price is beyond prices of companies in a similar sector. However, the main motive is to make shares seem more affordable to small investors although the underlying value of the company has not changed in value"

Also small investors then buy the lowered shares because it's more affordable, which boost demand, which will put upward prices back on the shares. Just remember VALUE DOES NOT change after a split.

Just be glad UPS is not a corporation wanting a reverse split :)

Also with Berkshire many people dont know that they allowed 1 share of A to be converted into 30 shares of B at its initiation. But that was so they didnt have to face the tax on the shares given as gifts.

JustTired

free at last.......
In my very uneducated opinion.....$70/share is a good price!! Take the money and run.

This company sold its' soul with the IPO.

To paraphrase a quote from Churchill........"Never have so few gained so much to the detriment of so many."

Hey........I guess that could be true for all of Wall Street...........

SWORDFISH

In my very uneducated opinion.....$70/share is a good price!! Take the money and run.

To paraphrase a quote from Churchill........"Never have so few gained so much to the detriment of so many."

+1 Thats one of the best quotes I have heard in awhile.

Doesn't matter what price a stock goes to. UPS could go to 100 then back to 50, but if you don't take any gains, you don't make any money. A zero or negative return if you round trip the price.

As far as a split, I wouldn't like to see that. I would rather see more buybacks. A buyback would help shareholder value. A 2 for 1 split would turn about a billion outstanding share into 2 billion shares. So a $1 move today would equal a .50 move post split. FDX has bigger moves because there are only about 300 million shares. If there was a 500 million share buyback you are looking at a $140 stock at todays valuation. $210 if you cut the outstanding shares down to the fdx level.