705 Results

705red

Browncafe Steward
2933 voted yes in favor of the strike, 232 voted no aganist the strike and 5 people forgot to mark yes or no so those ballots are marked as spoiled.

3,230 memebers took time out of their sunday for something that is very important to them. I would like to thank everyone for voting and dealing with the lines. I took video of the day and we are working to get this put up for everyone to see. Now ups has 4 days to settle this contract or at least make some progress or chicago walks at midnight july 31st.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The company has tested the resolve of 705. Now they know. As I've stated repeatedly the company cannot and will not allow a strike. I think there will be a new and improved attitude at the negotiation tables this week. Stay strong 705 in your pursuit of a good and fair contract. All true Teamsters have your back. The cowardly selfish members will continue to cry, shiver, and plead for you to concede and except the short comings of the contracts they work under. Show them how it is done.

Chnandler Bong

Hopefully now the company will get back to the bargaining table. Neither side wants a strike. If 705/710 are able to get stronger language it will serve as a template for the next Master.

Red, do you know what is going on at 710? We haven't been notified of any strike vote to my knowledge.

tieguy

Banned
Approximately 23 percent voted for the rest.

Next we'll get the speechs on how the company has been scared into negotiating in earnest due to the union scaring them with the strike vote.

Your local may still throw in a 72 hour notice just to grandstand a little more. Its important these negotiations are fully leveraged to make it look like the union is forcing the company to negotiate.

I wonder why the other 77 percent of the members did not bother showing up.

L

Load Stand

Good job Chicago....way to go...what are you agreeing to strike for again...supervisors doing work, PTers low starting wage rate, PT v FT seniority for vacations and bidding...

Don't you have better things to worry about? Are you getting compensated fairly or not overall - YES! Is the company struggling with costs and looking to affect only the unborns - YES!

Let the company find ways to find people that want to work here...let them have the starting wage proposed and let them figure out when and if they must supplement wages with our enticements like signing bonuses to man their buildings and routes...or pay their sups to work instead of manage....

This is what you are arguing about...used to be striking was about serious safety concerns or lack of fair benefits ...You want to strike for such trivial things...you gambled by not joining the nma, and are going to lose.... Good job Chicago!

Sirapak

IL Palatine UPS Sorter
Thank you for the results 705red. I saw you taping the voting! Good Job. I knew that more people than usual would show up to vote. I am proud to be one of those 2933 that voted yes.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Next we'll get the speechs on how the company has been scared into negotiating in earnest due to the union scaring them with the strike vote.

Your local may still throw in a 72 hour notice just to grandstand a little more. Its important these negotiations are fully leveraged to make it look like the union is forcing the company to negotiate.

We do not need to give a 72 hour notice, this is the companies notice. When you strike for a contract you can walk as soon as it has expired, as long as its not over monetary issues.

Tie when was the last the american public voted 23% on something as important as lets say the president of the united states?

Nice spin tie, but if you compare the votes for the nma that were done by mail compared to the membership that could have, you might be surprised at the totals.

BigBrownSanta

Since the intent of the vote today was to authorize a strike, it was incumbent upon the no-voters to show up and vote to prevent the strike.

Since they didn't show up in sufficient numbers to prevent the strike vote from passing, I would contend the majority of non-voters must have approved of going out on strike.

tieguy

Banned
We do not need to give a 72 hour notice, this is the companies notice. When you strike for a contract you can walk as soon as it has expired, as long as its not over monetary issues.

Tie when was the last the american public voted 23% on something as important as lets say the president of the united states?

About 55 pecent for president. You might have done better if you went for a midterm election.

So Red what happened to the 10,000 that did not show up?

tieguy

Banned
Since the intent of the vote today was to authorize a strike, it was incumbent upon the no-voters to show up and vote to prevent the strike.

Since they didn't show up in sufficient numbers to prevent the strike vote from passing, I would contend the majority of non-voters must have approved of going out on strike.

So you will put them all in as yes votes?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Good job Chicago....way to go...what are you agreeing to strike for again...supervisors doing work, PTers low starting wage rate, PT v FT seniority for vacations and bidding...

Ptimers starting wage is a concern! But so is going to work and not having to worry about someone rear-ending you at a stop light and then they go to hospital, this is now a terminating offense.
How about losing your seniority if you go out on work comp?
How about cutting ftimers vacation to 40 hrs?
How about not going back to your job if your on fmla?
How about sitting at home on call for feeder as they work everyone upto 60 hours and you have not worked this week?
How about suncontracting? Does this not concern you?
In chicago an 8 hour work day is 8 hours, not 8.5!
If you get charged with a dui you can lose your job?

Don't you have better things to worry about? Are you getting compensated fairly or not overall - YES! Is the company struggling with costs and looking to affect only the unborns - YES!

Why should we sacrafice language and sell out future children? Why not stand and not allow certain things to be taken away so our children wont have to fight to get back because their lazy fathers tucked tail and ran?

Let the company find ways to find people that want to work here...let them have the starting wage proposed and let them figure out when and if they must supplement wages with our enticements like signing bonuses to man their buildings and routes...or pay their sups to work instead of manage....

Maybe because the union negotiates wages for one? Or would you rather have everyone negotiate their own wages, each driver gets paid by how much the man likes you. Signing bonuses are great if you have no interest in staying with a company. Would you take a $1000 bonus this year over a quarter an hour raise?

This is what you are arguing about...used to be striking was about serious safety concerns or lack of fair benefits ...You want to strike for such trivial things...you gambled by not joining the nma, and are going to lose.... Good job Chicago!

If this is trival, what would upset you? We dont know how to lose! Only quitters quit, while fighters fight.

705red

Browncafe Steward
About 55 pecent for president. You might have done better if you went for a midterm election.

Your speaking on registered voters! I spoke of americans. If you want to debate registered than i would say about 70% to 75% of ups teamsters that voted today are loyalists to the teamsters, which would be comparable to your registered voter. While the rest of votes came form people that do not tend to use the union, but are unhappy with the offer from ups. Which in your argument would be unregistered voters.

Its no surprise in turnouts from upsers, they tend not to vote. Just look at the last election for hoffa, only 18% of the teamsters voted by mail. But we are talking about 3200 people taking time out of their sunday and traveling some ways to vote, which by your calculation is 23%. By my math its just under 14 in favor for every 1 no vote. Pretty powerful numbers.

I believe they were called in for a special sort and decided to take the overtime to put away for a rainy day around the corner.

drewed

Shankman
I believe they were called in for a special sort and decided to take the overtime to put away for a rainy day around the corner.

its still 55% red of voter aged participation, 69% registered voters :) point killed sorry

WOW maybe not before MAYBE but if thats not union propaganda.....

ogrelord

Ground Down

it's there own fault for not showing up. when you don't vote, you don't get a say. the almost 3000 that did vote made the choice for the ones that didn't want to care about the contract.

Hawaii50

I can't believe Chicago is fighting about some of issues.

Ptimers starting wage is a concern! But so is going to work and not having to worry about someone rear-ending you at a stop light and then they go to hospital, this is now a terminating offense. this illegal. If this is a terminating offense. I would sue UPS for wrongful termination. I can't control the driving enviorment around me. I
How about losing your seniority if you go out on work comp?
valid

How about cutting ftimers vacation to 40 hrs? How much hours does FTimers currently have?
How about not going back to your job if your on fmla? If you are leave you not suppose to go back to your job. That's why it's called family medical LEAVE act "FMLA".
How about sitting at home on call for feeder as they work everyone upto 60 hours and you have not worked this week? Valid
How about suncontracting? Does this not concern you? I'm curious what types of jobs is being subcontracted?
In chicago an 8 hour work day is 8 hours, not 8.5! I can't believe Chicago is upset with 8.5 hours . If 8.5 hours pretains only to drivers. I wished I worked in Chicago. I would rather work 8.5 hours a day, then 10 to 11 hours a day.
If you get charged with a dui you can lose your job? Well, driving under the influence is illegal. Don't get caught.

If Chicago walks, do all the other UPS/teamsters who have already settled their contract disputes have to honor Chicago's line?

haydendavid380

is property of UPS
2933 voted yes in favor of the strike, 232 voted no aganist the strike and 5 people forgot to mark yes or no so those ballots are marked as spoiled.

3,230 memebers took time out of their sunday for something that is very important to them. I would like to thank everyone for voting and dealing with the lines. I took video of the day and we are working to get this put up for everyone to see. Now ups has 4 days to settle this contract or at least make some progress or chicago walks at midnight july 31st.

Is this both 710 and 705 or just 705? I looked on 710's site but there isn't a link to view the proposals like on the 705's. Is there anyway to view the ones for the 710 elsewhere?