705 strike poll!

Waht do you want to happen if 705 strikes?

• I want the International to order a company-wide strike.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • I want my local to strike.

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • I want to work and not be involved in this.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • If the Union orders a strike, I will work anyway.

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • I want to work, but will not cross any picket lines.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I will work AND cross any picket lines.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Good luck 705, hope it doesn't affect me.

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters

nhguy

705 RED,

If you guys are so concerned about the starting wage for part timers then why not have your local make an offer of $15.00/hr and no benefits. I'll bet 705 would never go for that because of the dollars that would come out of their pockets from all these young kids that will never collect a dime or use their medical while they are employed at UPS.
Why do you think FEDEX pays $10.50/hr to start? Because they don't spend another $15.00/ PER HOUR going into the unions coffers for all those benefits they don't
recieve!

UPS has only so much money that they can offer, how you guys divide it up is up to you and the local. Stop putting up a false front and get down to the real issues. If it's full time jobs you want, better go to another company because they just don't exsist and aren't needed at UPS.

It would be totally irresponsible to strike! It's not rocket science to understand the ramifcations for everyone if you strike. Extend the deadline and hammer out a fair deal for both sides, that's why they call it negotiating!

REMEMBER THE BIG FISH ALWAYS EATS THE LITTLE ONES

tieguy

Banned
Without the Teamsters as our Union, we would be another Fedex. We all know that Fedex drivers envy our wages and our benefits. And we would not have these benefits without the Teamsters. Yeah, the Teamsters aren't all they could be, but we would not have our benefit package without them.

An overly aggressive teamsters only helps a fdx. We need more negotiations like 710's which were quietly accomplished and less like 705's where we scare the crap out of the customer.

tyugar

If UPS raised the shipping rates a penny per pound and gave the money directly to workers that would be a huge raise. The company pulled in $873 million in profits for Q2, and that was a bad quater for them!

Right now the economy is in the tiolet and lots of people would be lining up to take your jobs even with a pay reduction. Good luck trying to squeeze out more.

Then why aren't they lining up now, and why is turnover so high? How come UPS has to go through the effort of sending HR to schools and colleges to advertise the job everyone is lining up for?

Go read up (old study, but the numbers can only be worse now): http://digitalcommons.ilr.cornell.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1003&context=reports

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
The place to disagree with your fellow union members is at the union hall, not on the picket line.
Ask yourselves this question; do the management negotiators argue with one another at the bargaining table? No. Once they square off at the table across from the Teamster committee, they form a united front. We need to do the same.
Whether or not it is a good idea for 705 to have a seperate contract is an issue that may indeed be worth debating. It is, however, a seperate issue from whether or not we should support their strike. If they walk and we all scab out and cross their lines, what kind of negotiating power do you think we will have in 5 years? None.

well said.

S

SENSIBLE

$28 dollars an hour plus benefits sign me up
stupid stupid stupid
with this economy
walk