705 vs 710.

mikeups1978

I'm going 2 be driving soon so I wanted 2 know the pros and cons of both unions. I keep hearing drivers say from both unions 2 stick with them, but I'm not going 2 believe anything unless it's in writing. Any info would be appreciated!

standtall

You can't hurt my feelings, I left them at home.
I'm going 2 be driving soon so I wanted 2 know the pros and cons of both unions. I keep hearing drivers say from both unions 2 stick with them, but I'm not going 2 believe anything unless it's in writing. Any info would be appreciated!
Compensation is virtually identical. Pensions are virtually identical now that 705 has suspended the $1000 a year lump sum payment. The feeling of which contract language is better is going to vary with who ever you talk to. The only real questions are do you like to stay close to home or do you want to drive on the highway. Package car or feeder.

mikeups1978

Feeder. Sometimes both unions do each other run during peak season. If there's a layoff (God forbid) then they would put a 705 driver back in the building until something comes available. With 710 I think there just laid off period. Correct me if I'm wrong.

standtall

Feeder. Sometimes both unions do each other run during peak season. If there's a layoff (God forbid) then they would put a 705 driver back in the building until something comes available. With 710 I think there just laid off period. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct. But there are no lay offs in 710 to speak of. I have never seen a 710 driver get laidcoff in my building in all my years. With 705 it is almost annual.

standtall

710 gets an extra week of vacation at 30 years if you plan on working that long.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
@ mikeups1978, would your years in the 705 pension be credited toward a 710 pension, or will you be starting over in the 710 fund?

710 gets an extra week of vacation at 30 years if you plan on working that long.
From what I've seen, both 705 & 710 get 7 weeks @ 30 years. 705 is paid 50 hrs, 710 is paid 45 hrs. Edit: 710 is now also getting 50 hours.

They both get 1 option week @ 50 hrs, it looks like 710 can break their week into 5 single vacation days (@ 10 hrs per day).

Last edited:

standtall

@ mikeups1978, would your years in the 705 pension be credited toward a 710 pension, or will you be starting over in the 710 fund?

From what I've seen, both 705 & 710 get 7 weeks @ 30 years. 705 is paid 50 hrs, 710 is paid 45 hrs.

They both get 1 option week @ 50 hrs, it looks like 710 can break their week into 5 single vacation days (@ 10 hrs per day).
Pensions are reciprocal. 710 also receives 50 hrs for vacation.