unionman

Rumors that UPS will be purchasing some 777 aircraft soon because FEDX is flying Memphis to China and killing UPS over there while we leave revenue sitting on the ground because UPS doesn't have the lift.

drewed

Shankman
pulling the 200s, and 100s off line saved money but now the 400s are being streched to their limits... I heard we purchased two more siting in the desert any word on that? MD11s dont have the versaltilty....767s dont have the the payload/range.... im jealous i get to see the fdx 777s daily....its a very pretty plane :)

unionman

pulling the 200s, and 100s off line saved money but now the 400s are being streched to their limits... I heard we purchased two more siting in the desert any word on that? MD11s dont have the versaltilty....767s dont have the the payload/range.... im jealous i get to see the fdx 777s daily....its a very pretty plane :)
Supposedly UPS has two sitting in the desert and they are not needed. They plan on closing every station down outside of SDF because thats were Worldport is and it cost somebody a lot of money.

air_something

Angry Monkey - 2nd Order
UPS does have two 747-400's sitting in Roswell, tail numbers 582 and 583 (if I remember correctly), which were transitioned in back in August and September.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Its not good that we ever have volume sitting anywhere due to capacity, but its good news that we seem to have that much volume going over seas. I use to deliver to the San Jose airport when those 777 first came out, and American Airlines had one coming in daily from China. I tell you on its landing approach that giant plane seem to just be hanging there in the air, an awsome sight I tell you.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Guys, am I missing something? Seems like you all are implying the 777 is larger than the 747-400??

Is this picture wrong then?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2454/3647060284_52189b4db5.jpg?v=1247392367
No you are correct, its just that at the San Jose Int. airport they don't get 747's due to their size. To get the 777's they had to increase the run way size but theres not enough real estate for 747's. I suppose if I had delivered to SFO then it wouldn't be much of a deal to me.

drewed

Shankman
I think what most of us are saying..... the 777would be a better intermediate plane then the md11 increased payload, range and less load restrictions so UPS should invest in them to fill gaps in the fleet....

Question for the pilots and maybe the AMXs I know the 757/767 pilots are hold qualifications for both....does the 777 work in that way too or would be have to, retrain pilots for it?

Lue C Fur

Evil member
I think what most of us are saying..... the 777would be a better intermediate plane then the md11 increased payload, range and less load restrictions so UPS should invest in them to fill gaps in the fleet....

Question for the pilots and maybe the AMXs I know the 757/767 pilots are hold qualifications for both....does the 777 work in that way too or would be have to, retrain pilots for it?

Retrain.

unionman

Uptrend in outbound volume from China may continue
* B777 starts servicing Shanghai-Memphis routes (Adds details, background)
By Fang Yan and Jacqueline Wong
SHANGHAI, Jan 14 (Reuters) - FedEx Corp's (FDX
retailLoader_lg.gif
Loading...​
) express delivery arm may see the uptrend in its outbound volume from China continue this year along with the country's improving trade situation, a senior executive said on Thursday.
FedEx Express and its rivals were affected by the global economic downturn and a rare decline of China's exports for the most part of 2009, but a recovery has taken root since the middle of last year.
"Our volume is closely related with the import and export numbers. So as long as the market is booming and we are providing good service to our customers, we will be benefitting from this," Eddy Chan, the firm's China chief, told Reuters on the sidelines of a company event.
"We are confident the export market here will be improving," Chan said.
China's exports in December leapt 17.7 percent from a year earlier, dwarfing the 4.0 percent forecast by economists and breaking a 13-month streak of year-on-year declines, official data showed.
FedEx Express is competing firecely with United Parcel Service (UPS
retailLoader_lg.gif
Loading...​
) and Deutsche Post's (DPSTF
retailLoader_lg.gif
Loading...​
) express service unit to expand its footprint in China where rising global trade with the Asian country drives demand for freight and logistics services.
The first of its new B777 freighters started service for its Shanghai-Memphis route earlier this month. The number of the Boeing (<SPAN fmr-param-symbol="BA" fmr-attach-component="fmr.qnr.components.snapshot.Mini">BA<SPAN style="Z-INDEX: 99999; POSITION: absolute; MIN-HEIGHT: 100px; DISPLAY: none; TOP: 194px; LEFT: -30000px" id=t_message_BA4 class=ofToolTipContainer> <SPAN style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #666666 1px solid; MIN-WIDTH: 192px; BORDER-LEFT: #666666 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; MARGIN: 0px; WIDTH: 192px; DISPLAY: block; HEIGHT: 306px; BORDER-TOP: #666666 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #666666 1px solid" class=ofBubbleWrapper><SPAN id=bubbleContents_BA4><SPAN style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 8px; PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; DISPLAY: block; FONT-FAMILY: arial; COLOR: #000; PADDING-TOP: 4px" class=ofMiniSnap>BA BOEING CO. (THE) 61.1600
Change 0.0000 (0.00%) AS OF 4:00 PM ET 01/13/10.
Quotes delayed at least 15 minutes.
) has also moved its Asia-Pacific hub to the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou, with a capacity to sort up to 35,000 parcels per hour.
UPS announced plans in May 2008 to relocate its air hub in the Philipines to China's Shenzhen, near Guangzhou. It also operates a hub in Shanghai. (Reporting by Fang Yan and Jacqueline Wong)

unionman

MEMPHIS, Tenn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- FedEx (FDX
retailLoader_lg.gif
Loading...​
) Express, a subsidiary of FedEx Corp. (FDX
retailLoader_lg.gif
Loading...​
) and the world's largest express transportation company, is advancing international express shipping with the introduction of its first Boeing 777 Freighter (777F) service in Shanghai, mainland China.
The new 777F directly connects Shanghai with the FedEx SuperHub in Memphis, Tenn. and provides customers in Shanghai, Suzhou and Kunshan with a best-in-class, two-hour improvement in cut-off times* in select areas, making it even more convenient for businesses to ship internationally by giving them more time to prepare their FedEx (<SPAN fmr-param-symbol="FDX" fmr-attach-component="fmr.qnr.components.snapshot.Mini">FDX<SPAN style="Z-INDEX: 99999; POSITION: absolute; MIN-HEIGHT: 100px; DISPLAY: none; TOP: 36px; LEFT: -30000px" id=t_message_FDX3 class=ofToolTipContainer> <SPAN style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #666666 1px solid; MIN-WIDTH: 192px; BORDER-LEFT: #666666 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; MARGIN: 0px; WIDTH: 192px; DISPLAY: block; HEIGHT: 306px; BORDER-TOP: #666666 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #666666 1px solid" class=ofBubbleWrapper><SPAN id=bubbleContents_FDX3><SPAN style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 8px; PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; DISPLAY: block; FONT-FAMILY: arial; COLOR: #000; PADDING-TOP: 4px" class=ofMiniSnap>FDX FEDEX CORP 86.2900
Change 0.0000 (0.00%) AS OF 4:00 PM ET 01/14/10.
Quotes delayed at least 15 minutes.
)</B>
FedEx Corp. (FDX
retailLoader_lg.gif
Loading...​
) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $33 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx (FDX
retailLoader_lg.gif
Loading...​
) inspires its more than 275,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com.
About FedEx Express
FedEx Express is the world's largest express transportation company, providing fast and reliable delivery to every U.S. address and to more than 220 countries and territories. FedEx Express uses a global air-and-ground network to speed delivery of time-sensitive shipments, by a definite time and date with a money-back guarantee***.
*Selected stations in Shanghai, Suzhou and Kunshan and shipment declared value of RMB5,000 or less.
**Carbon dioxide emissions on a pounds per ATM basis, or Available Ton Mile, which is defined as one ton of cargo capacity transported one mile.
***Subject to relevant terms and conditions.

Source: FedEx Express

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Supposedly UPS has two sitting in the desert and they are not needed. They plan on closing every station down outside of SDF because thats were Worldport is and it cost somebody a lot of money.

Uh, no, actually. IF UPS were to shut down every other air hub except Worldport in Louisville, they would do so because it creates the absolute cheapest package handling network. The big cost is the AIR FEED, not the sorting, and a single, all-points hub is the cheapest air network. The fact that the automated Worldport is the cheapest, quickest, most reliable sorting facility is gravy.

And, by the way, UPS must keep Ontario open, as well, because there is no other way to meet West Coast service commitments.

So, the smallest number of air hubs is two.

unionman

Uh, no, actually. IF UPS were to shut down every other air hub except Worldport in Louisville, they would do so because it creates the absolute cheapest package handling network. The big cost is the AIR FEED, not the sorting, and a single, all-points hub is the cheapest air network. The fact that the automated Worldport is the cheapest, quickest, most reliable sorting facility is gravy.

And, by the way, UPS must keep Ontario open, as well, because there is no other way to meet West Coast service commitments.

What happens when it snows.

UPSSOCKS

First you need evaporated moisture rising from the ocean into the sky. Then the moisture condenses and forms clouds. Then when there's a surplus of moisture in the atmosphere. It gets too heavy for the clouds to hold the moisture. So then it falls and forms a supercooled cloud drop. Then as it lowers it turns into a ice particle then an ice crystal (the ice that falls during an ice storm) then it forms into a snowflake.

fr8dog

Bigger airplanes. Don't need 2 planes in smaller gateway's. I liked the 757.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet

You de-ice.

Seriously, one of the reasons Louisville was chosen is because of their weather. Since we opened there in 1982, I think it's been shut down like only 4 or 5 times because of snow, and all of those events were so widespread the entire midwest was shut down. '93, '94, 2004 were the really really bad ones.

Memphis generally gets less snow than Louisville, but from a network standpoint, it is a little too far south and west to be optimal for the upper Midwest and East Coast volume.