8 Drivers Skip Lunch 1 More Driver Can Be Laid Off

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
danlin, to quote and then respond to a post, simply go to the post that you want to quote and hit "quote". The quoted post will show up in a window. Type your response to the quote and then hit "preview post" to make sure that what you typed is what you want to say. If it is, hit "submit reply" and both the quoted portion and your response will appear in the same post. If it is not, go back and edit and then hit submit.
Glad you did this. I was trying to ignore it. :wink2:

buni g

Here you will be disciplined if you perform work during breaks, or don't take your breaks at the contractually mandated times

We have a driver who admittedly works through his lunch and breaks(not openly but when given crap about it by other drivers)dispatch is aware of it, they don't care as long as their frt gets handled.:dissapointed:

danlin

Sups don't have to abide by the rules, don't ya know? LOL

Actually I have used the SDN at times when I would either have to make the consignee wait because I had another stop opened up and didn't want to take time to mess with it. However that won't work for wine shipments.
Thats right about wine and similar types of adult sig req shipments. Forgot about that.

danlin

danlin, to quote and then respond to a post, simply go to the post that you want to quote and hit "quote". The quoted post will show up in a window. Type your response to the quote and then hit "preview post" to make sure that what you typed is what you want to say. If it is, hit "submit reply" and both the quoted portion and your response will appear in the same post. If it is not, go back and edit and then hit submit.

Thanks for the crash course!!! I think I learned. You know us UPS guys, strong back.....weak mind.

UPS Lifer

I think most family guys here are not fighting about the fact that sometimes when you need to get out for a game, or band concert, or whatever you are going to run your lunch. Its going to happen, Ihave done it in the past and will do it when I need to. I do try to make a point not to commit myself to anything after work very often because I know how these things work out.

More on the point of this thread.

If you have a rural route with little to no commercial stops and pick ups what time you take your lunch is only affected by the daylight you are using when it would be dark. In most cases this isn't much time, but it is time.

On commercial routes this is more of a problem. If you run your lunch till 5 or 6 everyday to get your businesses off you are making sure that your route will never be fixed. How about the coverguy that comes in and takes his lunch at 1, then misses 15 stops because he ran out of time. Thats your fault and the people at UPS will be on your Brothers case, and your customers will have poor service because you didn't want to force your center manager to fix the dispatch.

It all adds up, do things right, play it safe and by the rules and you will never have anything to worry about.

I have to agree with you in part, but I think you may be confusing doing the right thing vs. a recessionary economy.

Working safely, following the contract as well as talking lunches and breaks during the proper time frame is doing the right thing and should be enforced by management as well as the union. This is doing the right thing...

However...

Cuts are going to be made to sustain the lack of growth and revenue that UPS is making. UPS (thank God) is not the USA or GM. The company can't mortgage it's way out of this mess without scaling back operating costs and expenses.

There is a much bigger picture looming on the horizon. This is not just about each driver looking out for each other. It is about surviving an economic disaster that has far reaching effects on every aspect of our daily lives.

Look what is going on with the pilots. The company (one way or another) is going to achieve a certain cost reduction. This could be a furlough of 10 percent of the pilots or it may be a combination of reduction of hours worked and benefit concessions. BUT something is going to give!

Cuts are going to be made to sustain the lack of growth and revenue that UPS is making. UPS (thank God) is not the USA or GM. The company can't mortgage it's way out of this mess without scaling back operating costs and expenses.
I understand (and I think most everyone does) that UPS as well as all large companies rely on growth to continue to build the company's wealth for the stock holders and overall longevity. This is just one of the reasons I believe being a public traded company is not a good thing. UPS survived many economic downturns in the 100+ years and I hope they do this one as well. I also understand cuts to try and balance it all out. However, I think it is imperative that they pull their collective heads out so they can do these cuts in a logical manner that truly balances out between saving money and making service to the customers. If we piss enough of them off, we won't stand a chance.
I agree that UPS is not the government or GM, the fact is neither can borrow their way out of this mess.

There is a much bigger picture looming on the horizon. This is not just about each driver looking out for each other. It is about surviving an economic disaster that has far reaching effects on every aspect of our daily lives.
Of course it isn't just about drivers taking care of other drivers, but in doing so we are trying to take care of the business that we do have. Our center team understand this as well, I'm not sure that IE does though. The idea of cutting costs is great as long as we aren't cutting our own throats at the same time.

Look what is going on with the pilots. The company (one way or another) is going to achieve a certain cost reduction. This could be a furlough of 10 percent of the pilots or it may be a combination of reduction of hours worked and benefit concessions. BUT something is going to give!
My biggest question is, when the economy recovers will the "concessions" be reversed? I contend that they will not. The furloughs/lesser hours/loss of benefits for pilots and the 10-11 hour days for drivers will be the norm That's the big picture I seen in the future.
I do have a question. What is the difference between furlough and laid off?

sealbasher

Heff, it does make a difference. If you are on a mostly resi rte then there is no reason to not take lunch during the day when you are supposed to. You have no worries about missing business.

If you are on a rte that is 90% business, taking your lunch at the end of the day is the worst thing you can do. The reason the rtes are both business and resi (equally or near equally split) is to accomadate for your lunch. And to have the time to get business done. If you can't take a break/lunch during the day because of the possibility of missing business then there is to much business on that rte. I do realize that you said the same thing in regards to this.

The point is, we as drivers, should be unified in the times we take our lunches and force the company to adjust our dispatch to accomadate this. The only way that is going to happen is if every single driver takes lunch within the time frame given. Otherwise we might as well be talking to a brick wall.

Newguy, don't get caught going over the time allowed for lunch. You will get fired for it. Stealing time from the company.

my apt still smells