8 hour req

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
"We knowingly screw the company"

Good job

I ask for 8s whenever I need them or if I have now where to go every other Friday.

At 5 pm (8 would be 6pm) I msg in if I won't make it in. I've never had an instance where they didn't send someone to get my last 10-15 or instruct me where to park it so someone can finish.

We never take them to use them as a tool to screw management. That's exactly the kind of BS tactics that give unions a bad name and create the hostile management employee relationship.

If they grant you one but don't honor it definitely file file file

But to go out of your way to request it on a day you know they can't handle it just to file for extra money is bull
Or they could just put another route in and honor it.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Not my point nor my problem

Picking a day where you know it to be difficult for mgmnt to honor it FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF FILING TO SCREW WITH MGMNT is playing games and contributes to the hostile work environment you all complain about.

Picking a day that's heavy because you're tired of it and would like an easy day that day and filing when they fail to honor it is not only your right but responsibility

My point is all about your intent

I hold union brothers who excersise their contractual rights in the highest regard

Can't stand slugs who play games and hide behind the union
So management has a hard time figuring out how to give an eight hour day on a heavy day? And you think that a driver can dictate the volume a week in advance? I understand you can't stand slugs but I can't stand management scumbags that do the same thing to us way more frequently. We get to a week buddy, it shouldn't be that difficult. And I don't give a rats ass if the volume is so high that management has zero options. They should have negotiated that at the table.

Overpaid Union Thug

The language on 9.5,Supervisor Working and and 8 hour penalty pay creates a a way for those with the cojones to stand up for themselves and make extra cash. I come to work to make money and I'll be damned if i'm going to pass up an easy 2 hours of penalty pay because someone ona message board thinks it is "screwing " the company.

Wrong. 8 hour requests are exactly that. Requests for 8 hour days. And i dont care if you are screwing UPS. I do take issue when people like you are hogging them strictly for the "bonus" while your fellow drivers that actually need 8 hour days are forced to take the entire day off or be late to whatever they had going on after work.

UPS created this atmosphere with loading the trucks down and insisting on a SPC metric. 8 hours requests in the past werent needed a most drivers never worked more than 8.5 hours every day. In my center it became common to load everyone down,wit the attitude of "you dont have to like it,just do it" Well the street runs both ways.

True but like I said.....if so many people weren't gaming the system for "bonus" then more legitimate 8 hour requests would still be honored.

We are full almost everyday with 8 hour requests. 3 per driver per month.

Same here but it's usually just people trying to get penalty pay. People that actually want/need an 8 hour day are usually left out. The highest seniority guys have no problem getting theirs but, oddly, they rarely ask.
And if UPS were to dispatch where a driver finished between 8 and 9.5 hours, you would see a reduction in 8 hour requests. People are sick of working 11-12 hours a day.
Btw, you don't sound like a union thug to me.
True! And I'm definitely not a union thug. I chose the name because I've been called that by my friends because none of them are in union shops. I'm a proud union member though.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just honor the 8 hour request?
Are you related to Upstate? Sounds like crap he might come up with

We both know it would be cheaper but that's not the point. The point is that people that actually need an 8 hour request often get turned down because of the people that take them strictly for the penalty. If I ask for one I want the releaf. Not the penalty. The penalty isn't going to help me make it to whatever I got going on after work on time.

And that's the issue for me. Some of us try and use them for their intended purpose and usually can't because of the slew of people getting in the way because they are using the language as a bonus system.

And comparing me to Dave is beyond silly. He doesn't need 8 hour requests because he is such an "awesome" driver that can turn 10 hour days into an early day with guarantee pay. But that's with taking numerous shortcuts such as signing for customers and other such nonsense. But that's another thread.

Of course.... If my region had the same 8-hour request language as the central region then none of this would be an issue.

Last edited:

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
So management has a hard time figuring out how to give an eight hour day on a heavy day? And you think that a driver can dictate the volume a week in advance? I understand you can't stand slugs but I can't stand management scumbags that do the same thing to us way more frequently. We get to a week buddy, it shouldn't be that difficult. And I don't give a rats ass if the volume is so high that management has zero options. They should have negotiated that at the table.
You're so delusional

You're so busy hating management you're missing my point entirely

Have a nice miserable time for however Long till you hit 30

This is why I don't usually leave nf2 @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Holding the local UPS Management accountable to the Terms & Conditions of the UPS-Teamster contract is not "screwing" the company.

For whatever reason, that is the way local management has decided this is how to execute their responsibilities.

Stop the nonsensical thinking. :biggrin:

How does your local handle 8 hour requests and violations?

In the Central Region;

Once an 8hr request is approved, it happens.

There is a regional JAC decision....

That allows a driver to bring back excess work, to meet the company's obligation.

End of story.

-Bug-

Overpaid Union Thug

Stop the nonsensical thinking. :biggrin:

In the Central Region;

Once an 8hr request is approved, it happens.

There is a regional JAC decision....

That allows a driver to bring back excess work, to meet the company's obligation.

End of story.

-Bug-

We need that badly. My guess is it would probably cut down on the 8 hour requests by eliminating the "bonus" that many people are actually trying to get. Then others could have the opportunity to get the relief from OT for whatever reason they need it. That's likely what would happen to my sister anyway.

Last edited:

Back first

Wrong. 8 hour requests are exactly that. Requests for 8 hour days. And i dont care if you are screwing UPS. I do take issue when people like you are hogging them strictly for the "bonus" while your fellow drivers that actually need 8 hour days are forced to take the entire day off or be late to whatever they had going on after work.

True but like I said.....if so many people weren't gaming the system for "bonus" then more legitimate 8 hour requests would still be honored.

Same here but it's usually just people trying to get penalty pay. People that actually want/need an 8 hour day are usually left out. The highest seniority guys have no problem getting theirs but, oddly, they rarely ask.

True! And I'm definitely not a union thug. I chose the name because I've been called that by my friends because none of them are in union shops. I'm a proud union member though.

We both know it would be cheaper but that's not the point. The point is that people that actually need an 8 hour request often get turned down because of the people that take them strictly for the penalty. If I ask for one I want the releaf. Not the penalty. The penalty isn't going to help me make it to whatever I got going on after work on time.

And that's the issue for me. Some of us try and use them for their intended purpose and usually can't because of the slew of people getting in the way because they are using the language as a bonus system.

And comparing me to Dave is beyond silly. He doesn't need 8 hour requests because he is such an "awesome" driver that can turn 10 hour days into an early day with guarantee pay. But that's with taking numerous shortcuts such as signing for customers and other such nonsense. But that's another thread.

Of course.... If my region had the same 8-hour request language as the central region then none of this would be an issue.
Seniority rules baby!