8 Hr requests, a thing of the past?

ozlander

ozlander
Why is it that we are allowed three 8's a month, yet management tell us that m-friend is an inconvenient time..ha..Ive been told that Iam the only driver who uses the 3 a month..I tell them that its not my fault that I use them. I do not abuse them, no consecutive days, but, when that day does come, they push u to the max...usually one is never off on time..Yes , you can bring those stops back to the building, but the next day, you are going to have a 10-11 hr day, guaranteed. The new thing is to pull you off your route and you run another route with less hours, because they will not give your 8 on your own route! I tried that today and they gave me an area that I had not done in 10 years. Yes, i was late for my kids game.... Everytime we put in for 8 hrs, it is a hassle. I cannot help it that I have kids that are active, and I get tired of the same ole 9 -9.5 days.. Does anyone else have any problems with their ctr and 8 hr request..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The last time that I really needed to get done early I requested and was allowed to work Code 5, which means I skipped my lunch and break and was paid punch to punch, and was done by 1700 and was paid for 8 hours. This is not a big issue to me as my kids are grown and on their own (well, my son is moving back in with me--I thought the front door was an exit door only--I guess not) but for my co-workers with younger kids they have a really hard time getting to some of their events and the 8 hour request is almost unheard of, other than asking permission to go Code 5, which must be approved by the DM.

wornoutupser

Why is it that we are allowed three 8's a month, yet management tell us that m-friend is an inconvenient time..ha..Ive been told that Iam the only driver who uses the 3 a month..I tell them that its not my fault that I use them. I do not abuse them, no consecutive days, but, when that day does come, they push u to the max...usually one is never off on time..

Yes , you can bring those stops back to the building, but the next day, you are going to have a 10-11 hr day, guaranteed.

No, you can not bring them back to the back. We had a driver fired for doing exactly that and he has been gone for months.

The new thing is to pull you off your route and you run another route with less hours, because they will not give your 8 on your own route!

You can not be pulled if you are a bid driver.

I tried that today and they gave me an area that I had not done in 10 years. Yes, i was late for my kids game.... Everytime we put in for 8 hrs, it is a hassle. I cannot help it that I have kids that are active, and I get tired of the same ole 9 -9.5 days.. Does anyone else have any problems with their ctr and 8 hr request..

My center will approve the 8, then wait and see if you will bust tail to make it to your function. No one gets an 8 hr day here anymore, you just work late and file for the penalty.

JustTired

free at last.......
Pretty hard to give you an 8 hr day when they would have to dispatch you at 6.5-7hrs. I don't think the dispatch program can do that (joking, I think).

I always found that if you really need an 8 hr day.....just call off. It's not like you don't make enough money with all of the O/T you get the other days. As a matter of fact, I would have been very happy working 4 days a week. Plenty of money and plenty of time to get business taken care of at home. Of course, as always, your mileage may vary.

brownhorn

The new contract allows for a 2 hour penalty pay if they don't pull you down enough to make your 8 hour request. Happened to me last Friday and I filed a grievance. We'll see if I get it.

The new contract allows for a 2 hour penalty pay if they don't pull you down enough to make your 8 hour request. Happened to me last Friday and I filed a grievance. We'll see if I get it.
Probably one more thing they will try to wiggle their way around. good luck to you.

brownhorn

Probably one more thing they will try to wiggle their way around. good luck to you.

Yeah, I think it says something along the lines of if a person couldn't REASONABLY complete their work in 8.5 hours. Not real crazy about UPS's idea of reasonable.

tourists24

I hope you do get it... we've had a couple of people paid recently so here's hoping. They abide by the language pretty well around here except for the one's who never file

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Here in the central region we are required 24 hrs notice for one of our two 8 hr requests per month. The "imaginary" dispatch numbers have no place in this process. No were in the contract language on this issue will you find the words allowance, dispatch, planned day, etc. As with most things management will see how far they can push a driver. I know there are some differences for those of you under the sorry National Master. The way I play it here is, somewhere around midday, I start sending messages that I will require help per my 8 hr request. After they acknowledge one of these message the onus is on them. I have and will bring back whatever stops I have left when the 8 hr mark rolls around. Now that they know this I seldom have to ask and when I do they come running. All but two days a month they have us by the short hair, on these days they don't. With this in mind insist on what is yours, you deserve it.

Another angle is if every driver took their 2 a month, how many more full time jobs would have to be created?

It's just a game, be a player. Don't be scared!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You will. I have been paid 4 8-hr day penalties. It's a nice bonus check, but the reason I request an 8 is to get an 8, not the penalty pay. It pisses me off to no end that they rarely comply with an 8 hr request.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
No problem; I went over 9.5 for the third time that week. So guess what grievance number 2 was for?
I have a national decision on 9.5, already. When I start saying 3rd 9.5 they bend over backwards to get help to me. Laughing out load all the way home.