8 Rules to Yard Control

We had somoeone killed at rockford I think about 2 years ago. If im correct she was ran over by a tractor during a serious rain storm. Imagine how her parents, husband, kids feel without her. Imagine how the driver has to live knowing that he took someones life. Accident or not it doesnt make anyone sleep better!

I think the natural selection comment was way out of line!

The word we got here was that because of the heavy rain she took off running from the building into the path of the tractor. We have had this problem at CACH. You aproach the crosswalk and check before proceding only to have a runner come out the door at full sprint.

L

Loufan

They are making us loaders learn this along with a huge block of text for yard safety. I guess it's for insurance purposes, anytime those people audit us something always changes.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Every UPSer is required to know and follow Yard Control Safety Procedures, both employees that are Yard certified and those that are not. If strictly followed, the chances are very slim that you will be injured or killed in a UPS Yard accident. That it why it is important for everyone to know them. Once you know them, follow them. Report anyone who violates them.

Sincerely,
I

Well getting prepared for rematch #3 with the Sup and test. Taking it again because of the wording. I saw a test from another dept. and his or her anwers were worse than mine and they passed it and another dept is given the sheet to copy from. Go figure. :angry:

W

westsideworma

yeah it really depends who you get and what their mood is and what not that particular day/hour/minute

I forgot to say reflective vest (said vest) and my FT supe gigged me on that...apparently he thought I might have meant a bullet proof vest or a life vest and not the yellow ones with the reflective strip that I always wear when I go out in the yard....oh well I don't care I got it the next time, just stupid semantics. I was very careful with the cone part and specified one of the orange ones. Didn't want anyone thinking I'd be marking where I'm working in the yard (I never work in the yard btw) with a waffle cone, a pine cone or the cone of silence or anything like that.

I just go with it now even if I think its stupid, less painful that way and less stressful.

Last edited by a moderator:

over9five

Staff member
The way I understand it is you have to demonstrate understanding of the points. It does not have to be word for word. Of course we know there are [-]idiots[/-] other locations that will want it word for word.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I got hauled in the office this morning and was given a warning letter for not knowing the safety stuff word for word a few weeks ago. Scratch driver with 22+ years of safe driving. The driver after me is a Circle of Honor driver and he committed the same major crime I did. You can say this stuff word for word frontwards and backwards, and that does not make you any safer. Like somebody said a few posts back, it depends on the auditor you get.

over9five

Staff member
I got hauled in the office this morning and was given a warning letter for not knowing the safety stuff word for word a few weeks ago. Scratch driver with 22+ years of safe driving. The driver after me is a Circle of Honor driver and he committed the same major crime I did. You can say this stuff word for word frontwards and backwards, and that does not make you any safer. Like somebody said a few posts back, it depends on the auditor you get.

Scratch, please tell us you responded with a grievance.

iowa boy

Boy, nothing like getting the employees on board with this new push on safety. :biting:

BROWN430

We have a 38 yr. driver that doesn't know them. But he has 30 plus yrs. safe driving. Go figure. He must not know what he is doing. lol

Happy to report I finally passed the test. The other thing happening is what I believe is called baiting. Its just a mind game. Thier sups did it to them and it just keeps going down the line. I think this person is trying to mad me mad that I"ll snap and its over the nothing really. I just keep on smiling when it happens.

If I wanted the military I would have enlisted.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Where and the hell do you even find the 8 yard control keys/rules any way??????????:anxious:

1. Only certified yard personnel are allowed in the yard outside of the designated pedistrian walkways and break areas.

2. All facility employees, whether certified or non-certified, must use the pedestrian doors to enter or exit the building.

3. When on break, all employees are required to remain in the marked Break Area.

4. Persons authorized to drive vehicles in the yard must obey posted speed limits and wear a safety belt at all times.

5. Vehicles must be equipped with operable headlights, hazard lights, or reflective material that provides 360 degrees of visibility.

6. Employees authorized to drive vehicles in the yard are required to take the ignition keys with them whenever they leave the vehicle.

7. All certified yard employees are required to wear a reflective vest anytime they are working in hte yard.

8. A certified yard employee must place an orange cone when working in the yard.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
We have a 38 yr. driver that doesn't know them. But he has 30 plus yrs. safe driving. Go figure. He must not know what he is doing. lol

Tell me about it, I knew a 25 yr female driver failed the vocal exam and went driving the next day. All that matters is how long you've been here, nothing else.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Ok ladies and gentlemen, I didn't mean for this post to go in the direction that it did. I'm sure somewhere in the system someone was killed or injured in the yard, that thought has crossed my mind or our insurance company may even promote this kind of testing, who knows. This may sound morbid and I mean no disrespect to those who have been injured or are in the Lords Hands. Things happen in life that sometimes we can control no matter what we know or how we apply it. I know that UPS doesn't see it this way. That everthing is preventable. Well I got news for them they need to get the Websters out and review the meaning of accident. You can test a person month after month. make them so aware that they are parinoid about every move they make and we still have the dirty little word called accident. On that note I have to go cram for tonights rematch with supervisor. :sad-very:

Funny you should say, a little late maybe. A friend of mine thats been around for 20 yrs said that people seem to get hurt more often with all the safety stuff around.

And 705rd, there seems to be yard deaths every year. A trailer driver died last week or so. They were trying to get donations from people for a BBQ and for the guys wife and kids.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The 5s and 10 pt are really good to be familiar with and use day to day. I do not think that discipline is the way to go for not knowing them, however it should be common knowledge fora ll drivers.