8 Rules to Yard Control

konsole

I wish ours was done monthly. Now we're asked the yard control crap every WEEK and have to fill out a booklet with questions for every day.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I wish ours was done monthly. Now we're asked the yard control crap every WEEK and have to fill out a booklet with questions for every day.

Now thats some bull right there, ours is monthly and should be for every UPS Hub and / or center. Sounds to me like management is a little too overzealous. Perhaps one needs to find out ways to get Atlanta or other management involed to stop the weekly exams. They are only supposed to do it monthly.

konsole

Now thats some bull right there, ours is monthly and should be for every UPS Hub and / or center. Sounds to me like management is a little too overzealous. Perhaps one needs to find out ways to get Atlanta or other management involed to stop the weekly exams. They are only supposed to do it monthly.

Is once a month how often it "should" be or how often its suppose to be?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
1. Only certified yard personnel are allowed in the yard outside of the designated pedistrian walkways and break areas.

2. All facility employees, whether certified or non-certified, must use the pedestrian doors to enter or exit the building.

3. When on break, all employees are required to remain in the marked Break Area.

4. Persons authorized to drive vehicles in the yard must obey posted speed limits and wear a safety belt at all times.

5. Vehicles must be equipped with operable headlights, hazard lights, or reflective material that provides 360 degrees of visibility.

6. Employees authorized to drive vehicles in the yard are required to take the ignition keys with them whenever they leave the vehicle.

7. All certified yard employees are required to wear a reflective vest anytime they are working in hte yard.

8. A certified yard employee must place an orange cone when working in the yard.

Nowhere in this list does it say anything about you as the pedestrian looking where the hell you are going when walking through the yard. Our personal vehicles park in the same lot as all the truck traffic. Look left right left when exiting the building would be a useful tip.

Nimnim

The Nim

It's weekly for me too, but my supervisor tends to only actually ask us the DoK questions every few weeks. Usually get a quick reminder of things and a signoff saying we answered them all right.

Toshiro Hitsugaya

Can someone please explain to me why I would have to know these 8 rules to yard control if I'm not yard certified. It's now on our monthly quiz. :biting:

It is all about safety, you would be surprised at what people do or do not do. Like jump out of a bay to retrieve a package, take a stroll through one of the doors that is used exclusively for entry of vehicles.

Was not at my hub, but there was a Feeder driver who was crushed because he wanted to pick up packages that dropped from his load as he was backing on. The problen was he was standing at an empty next to the bay where he dropped his load . Without putting a flag or cone next to the trailer he was at. There was another trailer the next bay down as well. So here comes a shifter to thrown another load on the doors at the exact bay the guy is standing and with the blindspot created by both trailers the driver got pinned between the trailer and the dock.

1. Only certified yard personnel are allowed in the yard outside of the designated pedistrian walkways and break areas.

2. All facility employees, whether certified or non-certified, must use the pedestrian doors to enter or exit the building.

3. When on break, all employees are required to remain in the marked Break Area.

4. Persons authorized to drive vehicles in the yard must obey posted speed limits and wear a safety belt at all times.

5. Vehicles must be equipped with operable headlights, hazard lights, or reflective material that provides 360 degrees of visibility.

6. Employees authorized to drive vehicles in the yard are required to take the ignition keys with them whenever they leave the vehicle.

7. All certified yard employees are required to wear a reflective vest anytime they are working in hte yard.

8. A certified yard employee must place an orange cone when working in the yard.

This one looks like the one used for the drivers and shifters, the one I use to give my sorters is slightly different.

Nowhere in this list does it say anything about you as the pedestrian looking where the hell you are going when walking through the yard. Our personal vehicles park in the same lot as all the truck traffic. Look left right left when exiting the building would be a useful tip.

Why we was taught the exact same thing when we learned how to cross the street drive a car.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
Was not at my hub, but there was a Feeder driver who was crushed because he wanted to pick up packages that dropped from his load as he was backing on. The problen was he was standing at an empty next to the bay where he dropped his load . Without putting a flag or cone next to the trailer he was at. There was another trailer the next bay down as well. So here comes a shifter to thrown another load on the doors at the exact bay the guy is standing and with the blindspot created by both trailers the driver got pinned between the trailer and the dock.

That was the feeder supervisor in Secaucus New Jersey. http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2010/02/the_widow_of_a_ups_worker_who.html

Also, the hub I work in has an abbreviated list that is acceptable to recite:

D - Designated Doors

D - Designated Walk Ways

D - Designated Break Areas

D - Don't Speed - Wear Your Seat Belt

W - Wear your reflective vest

U - Use Cones

T - Take the keys

360 - 360 degrees of visibility - use headlights