8 years of local sort

Discussion in 'UPS Partners' started by byrdups, Jul 19, 2012.

1. byrdups

byrdups New Member

Been a PT local sort sup for 8 years. It isn't a challenge anymore. It's easy but boring. I want to do something more but after reading all the posts I think I'm
    Better off staying where I am. Just wanting your opinions. Would love to try dispatch.

2. btrlov

btrlov Member

You are never better off staying put. Start making moves now.

3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Make the move.

4. Boysie8706

Boysie8706 Member

PT sup is a dead end job at UPS

5. Carnie

Carnie New Member

Isnt Dispatch a management position? The reason i ask is wouldnt you have to leave the Union to take that position?

6. UpstateNYUPSer

He is not in the union---he is a PT sup.

7. byrdups

byrdups New Member

Trust me when I say, I wish I was back in the union. Worst move I've ever made, but I live with it. Just want to do something new. Thanks for all the advice!

8. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Part time Supes can still go into full time driving.

9. Boysie8706

Boysie8706 Member

Which is really difficult to do tho

10. byrdups

byrdups New Member

I have thought about driving, heard it was very rare to go from sup to driver. I would have to be one from the outside hire, correct?

11. whiskers

whiskers Member

Want a challenge? Join the National Guard.

12. UpstateNYUPSer

Outside hires are not nearly as qualified as though who work their way up through the ranks.

13. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

That only applies to drivers.

14. byrdups

byrdups New Member

National guard? Really? That's the best you could come up with?

15. whiskers

whiskers Member

The best I could come up with? No. More challenging than being a PT sup? yes.

You say you want opinions, yet you criticize mine when I give it to you? Stay a PT sup, sounds like you're perfect for the job.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  16. j13501

j13501 Member

Yes, you would be considered an "outside hire". How rare it is depends on the building you work in. I've seen buildings that were growing in package volume (and adding drivers), that made it a plan to move experience sups to driver when the openings allowed. I've also worked in buildings that had very little package (and driver) growth. In those buildings it's difficult to get a driver job (as it is for the p/t hourly people who are waiting to move up to driver).

In either case, it's in your best interest to take a dispatch supervisors job. If you are good at supervising people on the local sort, and you become skilled in dispatching, you improve your chances to move into a full time position when one is available....good luck!

17. byrdups

byrdups New Member

Thanks j13501

18. Buck Fifty

Buck Fifty New Member

Tell them you would like to be an on road supervisor. You need a year of driving i believe. Then just never go back !!! or yeah try that dispatch thing !

19. UpstateNYUPSer

It is 30 days, hence the term "30 day wonder".