8 years of local sort

byrdups

Been a PT local sort sup for 8 years. It isn't a challenge anymore. It's easy but boring. I want to do something more but after reading all the posts I think I'm
Better off staying where I am. Just wanting your opinions. Would love to try dispatch.

byrdups

Trust me when I say, I wish I was back in the union. Worst move I've ever made, but I live with it. Just want to do something new. Thanks for all the advice!

byrdups

I have thought about driving, heard it was very rare to go from sup to driver. I would have to be one from the outside hire, correct?

whiskers

Been a PT local sort sup for 8 years. It isn't a challenge anymore. It's easy but boring. I want to do something more but after reading all the posts I think I'm
Better off staying where I am. Just wanting your opinions. Would love to try dispatch.

Want a challenge? Join the National Guard.

whiskers

National guard? Really? That's the best you could come up with?

The best I could come up with? No. More challenging than being a PT sup? yes.

You say you want opinions, yet you criticize mine when I give it to you? Stay a PT sup, sounds like you're perfect for the job.

Last edited:

j13501

I have thought about driving, heard it was very rare to go from sup to driver. I would have to be one from the outside hire, correct?

Yes, you would be considered an "outside hire". How rare it is depends on the building you work in. I've seen buildings that were growing in package volume (and adding drivers), that made it a plan to move experience sups to driver when the openings allowed. I've also worked in buildings that had very little package (and driver) growth. In those buildings it's difficult to get a driver job (as it is for the p/t hourly people who are waiting to move up to driver).

In either case, it's in your best interest to take a dispatch supervisors job. If you are good at supervising people on the local sort, and you become skilled in dispatching, you improve your chances to move into a full time position when one is available....good luck!

Buck Fifty

Tell them you would like to be an on road supervisor. You need a year of driving i believe. Then just never go back !!! or yeah try that dispatch thing !