8+ years PT and Counting

Package_Donkey14

milk was a bad choice
I have 8+ years PT in with UPS and have never had the opportunity to go FT. I could have been a doctor by now!!! Has anyone had to wait this long?

quest01

During my interview for a UPS part time package handler position I asked the manager how long would it take to become a full time package delivery driver and the HR lady told me it takes on average 11-14 years. Unforunately they never hired me for the position but if my current job doesn't work out I may call the UPS HR lady and ask if they are still hiring for this position.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
going on 9 years part time now. several old timers who never drove air or anything came out of the woodwork and took full time bids when they came up.
in my bldg im a cover driver 6 months of the year from June thru christmas then go back to preload in jan. ive worked enough to go thru progression so i ended up making top rate at the beginning of August which is about the only silver lining. we lost two full timers this year and they havent posted those jobs, yet. center manager told me he put in to get them but waiting to see. also, the real sh**sucker of that is that one of them is an off the street hire and he will go before me.

the wait keeps going, and going, and going...

StopTheAct

i waited about 8 years to go full time....
i could of went full time waay sooner but i was making waay more money part time job and The other job i had..(less hours and way taking home more than most) but it was off the books and was really messing things up...getting a car, house..retirenment..etc..
i could of taken a 22.3 job around 4 years but passed up.. and then i could of went cover driving around 4-5 years and turned full time sooner...
but my stupid butt Went "Straight full time driver)" after my 8th year!!

Argosyangele

Do they hire off the street for drivers? I thought you had to start from pre loading and work up. If this is not how it works then this is BS. I can work somewhere else and make more money and work less and just try to get on from the street to drive.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do they hire off the street for drivers? I thought you had to start from pre loading and work up. If this is not how it works then this is BS. I can work somewhere else and make more money and work less and just try to get on from the street to drive.

The option is there to be hired off the street but there is a ratio of drivers that get promoted to FT based on inside employees to outside employees. In my region the ratio is 6 to 1, meaning they promote 6 inside employees before they promote an outside employee. In this economy it will not be easy to be hired off the street to drive and your best bet would be to work on the inside and then work your way up like everyone else does.

I was hired off the street and promoted to FT in 11 months but that was during a period of growth (1989).

UPSSOCKS

I have 8+ years PT in with UPS and have never had the opportunity to go FT. I could have been a doctor by now!!! Has anyone had to wait this long?

All depends on where you work. I've been in Hubs that take people 10+ years and 50 miles down the road takes 2 years.

I have been with UPS for 8 years and 4 months and I am still part-time. I work in the Ontario Airport Hub in Southern California. After one of the last big bids, (in the end of 2007, beginning of 2008) the last person to get combo was only a week away from my hire date. So I thought YES I am finally going to get it....Well Then word got out that these bids would be it for the life of the new contract and every body who had passed up the combo jobs in past years, JUMPED on the list. So 8 years and counting now....we will see what happens in the next few years. I really want this! Tired of waiting....:knockedout:

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
I have been with UPS for 8 years and 4 months and I am still part-time. I work in the Ontario Airport Hub in Southern California. After one of the last big bids, (in the end of 2007, beginning of 2008) the last person to get combo was only a week away from my hire date. So I thought YES I am finally going to get it....Well Then word got out that these bids would be it for the life of the new contract and every body who had passed up the combo jobs in past years, JUMPED on the list. So 8 years and counting now....we will see what happens in the next few years. I really want this! Tired of waiting....:knockedout:
UPScaliforniaGirl,

Welcome to the BrownCafe...California born and raised myself!

Good luck with your waiting, waiting and waiting...I guess all good things are worth waiting for..:peaceful: