80 more mechanic layoffs

ups767mech

UPS has announced another 80 mechanics to be laid off in the next 4 weeks. This briongs the total to 140 mechanics laid off in the last 4 months. MORE THAN 10% OF THE WORKFORCE.

Thanks UPS for sending our jobs to china.

unionman

UPS has announced another 80 mechanics to be laid off in the next 4 weeks. This briongs the total to 140 mechanics laid off in the last 4 months. MORE THAN 10% OF THE WORKFORCE.

Thanks UPS for sending our jobs to china.
After three years of negotiating and this is what they give us. Before the TIE jumps in and says we have less airplanes, UPS has the least amount of mechanics to aircraft ratio in the WORLD. How do you think the puplic is :biting:going to respond to THAT!

over9five

Staff member
After three years of negotiating and this is what they give us. Before the TIE jumps in and says we have less airplanes, UPS has the least amount of mechanics to aircraft ratio in the WORLD. How do you think the puplic is :biting:going to respond to THAT!

Much as I think this situation stinks, I think the public will not even notice or care.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
How do you think the public is going to respond to THAT!

While I think it is unfortunate that any company out sources jobs to another country, I am curious as to how or why the public would respond in any manner to this.
I have never seen the public react except in terms of pricing.

outamyway

While I think it is unfortunate that any company out sources jobs to another country, I am curious as to how or why the public would respond in any manner to this.
I have never seen the public react except in terms of pricing.

God forbid if a plane crashes, you can bet your ass this will be brought up.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I hate outsourcing I think it sucks when any company does it especially the one I work for.

Then I guess you would not mind paying 2 to 3 times as much for most manufactured things you buy?

I end to agree with you but I also realize that I would own less things and my "standard" of living would go down. I doubt if we really need all the things we currently own. One thing is for sure, retirement would come later and at less buying power.

Any thoughts on this analysis?

over9five

Staff member
UPS has never had a "lost hull" accident. (Is this still true?)

I would suggest this is because of its outstanding US mechanics. This outsourcing to other countries could be a huge mistake.

ups767mech

Your reply has as it's basis that outsourcing equates to less quality or that the inspection hours per airplane is reduced. I did not pick up on those conditions.

Hoax I will tell you this that we watched a plane that was here in louisville for 2 days take a flight to china and had a 10 hour check done. It was signed off and in the computer 42 minutes after the flight landed in china.

One other point, Forgein repair stations arent held to the same standards as US mechanics. They do not have to have a FAA certificate and they do not participate in the random pee test program.

If you want to fly on an aircraft that comes out of a station like that let me know ill be glad to buy you a ticket.

ups767mech

UPS has never had a "lost hull" accident. (Is this still true?)

I would suggest this is because of its outstanding US mechanics. This outsourcing to other countries could be a huge mistake.

N798up in philly was a hull loss. Although it was a cargo fire that destroyed the aircraft not pilot or a mechanical problem.

unionman

N798up in philly was a hull loss. Although it was a cargo fire that destroyed the aircraft not pilot or a mechanical problem.
What about the 727 that lost all three engines and glided into chicago just missing the tops of buildings. Pure luck that it did not crash into something.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
What about the 727 that lost all three engines and glided into chicago just missing the tops of buildings. Pure luck that it did not crash into something.

I knew about the Philly DC8 fire but never heard about this one. If it didn't crash, then why would this be considered a airframe loss? We had one landing in Atlanta a few years ago and a strong wind (maybe wind shear) almost made it hit a Ford plant next to the airport.

outamyway

Hoax I will tell you this that we watched a plane that was here in louisville for 2 days take a flight to china and had a 10 hour check done. It was signed off and in the computer 42 minutes after the flight landed in china.

One other point, Forgein repair stations arent held to the same standards as US mechanics. They do not have to have a FAA certificate and they do not participate in the random pee test program.

If you want to fly on an aircraft that comes out of a station like that let me know ill be glad to buy you a ticket.

Well, I was responding to his response of this response(assuming there's some truth to it):
UPS has the least amount of mechanics to aircraft ratio in the WORLD. How do you think the puplic is :biting:going to respond to THAT!

I didn't even take that into account. You would know more about foreign mechanics versus American mechanics than I would.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
You forgot about India

I'm doing web research for a company. I'm sent around the world (Australia, Europe, Canada, South America, etc a couple times) on the web while doing it. NOBODY writes like the Indians. The nearest ones are probably the Pakistanis. It drives me NUTS!

One other point, Forgein repair stations arent held to the same standards as US mechanics.

hahahaha. I'm dead against outsourcing / off-shoring but the FAA needs to get real. Did you know--and you probably do it yourself--that airlines can use duct tape to fix a problem? Its when it becomes a safety of flight issue that the FAA gets involved. Tragically, that's often too late.

When did THAT happen?

We had one landing in Atlanta a few years ago and a strong wind (maybe wind shear) almost made it hit a Ford plant next to the airport.

My old man used to sell to that plant. I think its closed now. Right? -Rocky

ups767mech

hahahaha. I'm dead against outsourcing / off-shoring but the FAA needs to get real. Did you know--and you probably do it yourself--that airlines can use duct tape to fix a problem? Its when it becomes a safety of flight issue that the FAA gets involved. Tragically, that's often too late.

I have never used "duct" tape to repair an aircraft. I have used other types of tape that are approved by the FAA. Duct tape is not one of them

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
I THINK ITS SAD THAT UPS WOULD GET RID OF ANY MECHANIC IN ANY CAPACITY IN THIS COUNTRY, WHY?
I think its nice that they cut the guys who have the most responsibility, and training!
I consider my self a smart man but I can't repair an aircraft without very extensive training and a good head on my shoulders. And to have the responsibility they do to make sure the planes stay in the air, great respect to those of you that can do what I know I can't!