80 more mechanic layoffs

airbusfxr

After the layoffs expect late NDA inbounds around country. With less mechanics I got a feeling there will be ALOT of airplanes not make service commitments. The UPSCO motto is service first, safety second. The reduction in work force means less mechanics to work dispatching. If you are a NDA driver expect your plane to be late and let customers know that planes have less maintenance workers and it is in best interest of the general public to have late packages instead of cut rate maintenance. It is sad the company would rather have late planes instead of enough people to provide safe, on-time, valuable service. The maintenace department is being cut 10% so I expect 10% less ontime flights.

socwiz

Hey Fixer, does that mean your guys who sleep under the wing of the dc8 will have to work now? Sounds like a good deal to me. Too many MX guys with nothing to do

airbusfxr

This is the problem, UPS doesnt have DC8s so I cant sleep under the wing. I guess when 10% of the bosses get wacked I will be ok with the layoffs. OBTW when 10% of the pilots and pilot MGT get layed off I will be ok with it. Your right though, MX guys with nothing to do means drivers with no NDA, loaders not needed, preloaders not needed and managers like you not needed.

socwiz

From what I have seen for the last ten years they should lay off about 50 more of you guys. Never seen a work group so under utilized in my life. Maybe you are just afraid that now you will have t give a fair days work for you huge salary.

mrv

From what I have seen for the last ten years they should lay off about 50 more of you guys. Never seen a work group so under utilized in my life. Maybe you are just afraid that now you will have t give a fair days work for you huge salary.

Ten years of picking up friend.O.D off the ramp does not qualify you on what it takes to maintain a 200 million dollar piece of equipment.

beentheredonethat

This is the problem, UPS doesnt have DC8s so I cant sleep under the wing. I guess when 10% of the bosses get wacked I will be ok with the layoffs. OBTW when 10% of the pilots and pilot MGT get layed off I will be ok with it. Your right though, MX guys with nothing to do means drivers with no NDA, loaders not needed, preloaders not needed and managers like you not needed.

Airbusfxr - You should be OK then. Since we've had way more then 10% of the mgmt team reduced. Granted, the reduction wasn't thru layoff, but it was done mostly attrition and a round of ERO\VSB. In my home district, besides the fact that we took on extra work from another district collapsing. We also reduced Operations Div Mgrs from 9 to 4, a 56% reduction. We reduced pkg ctr mgrs from 29 to 19 a 35% reduction. I'm unsure of the exact number of On Road supvs but that also has decreased. Note I'm talking over a period of time from early 1990 to present. Also in the staff ranks, we went from a finance dept with roughly 3 mgrs and 13 supvs to 1 mgr and 2 supvs. The IE dept went from roughly 7 IE Planners to 3 IE planners. The CSTC went away in consolidation. etc. We've also reduced quite a few districts over the last 10 years or so. With every district collapsing, you eliminate the need of a Dist Mgr grade 22, and a host of staff mgrs at a grade 18 level such as an IE mgr, HR mgr, Security Mgr, Auto Mgr, PE Mgr, Ops Mgr, etc. Also we have also reduced quite a few regions and also gotten rid of that support staff at the grade 20 and above level. So overall mgmt has seen a huge cut it's just been done slower

over9five

Staff member
friend.O.D. = Foreign Object Damage or Foreign Object Debris
Everyone who works in the AOA (Aircraft Operations Area) is responsible for picking up loose objects that potentially could get sucked into a jet engine.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I spent the first 2 years of my Air Force career on the flightline and picking up FOD was a part of the routine. This was especially important after an Air Show. We would line up across the flightline and walk from one end to the other. I have also seen the damage caused by FOD (normally birds or what is left of them) but something as small as a single bolt can cause a lot of damage.

socwiz

when was the last time you saw one of our elite mx guys pick up fod? Too busy driving 30 mph across ramp, when not horizontal in their PU truck.

mrv

when was the last time you saw one of our elite mx guys pick up fod? Too busy driving 30 mph across ramp, when not horizontal in their PU truck.

Your probably not allowed to drive in a truck. BTW I know I can do your job. Can you do mine?

airbusfxr

Been there, no UPSCO mgt has hit the street. Matter of fact we have had promotions adding Ctr. Mgrs like crazy. Mr. Socwiz, whatever gateway you are viewing (in your mind) is not representative of the majority of UPSCO operations. You are either at a small gateway or at SDF and only see a small part of the big picture. I have driven fast across the ramp to make service or help out on an OOS event to keep you from unloading a broke plane that can be salvaged to provide customer service.

worldwide

Hoax I will tell you this that we watched a plane that was here in louisville for 2 days take a flight to china and had a 10 hour check done. It was signed off and in the computer 42 minutes after the flight landed in china.

One other point, Forgein repair stations arent held to the same standards as US mechanics. They do not have to have a FAA certificate and they do not participate in the random pee test program.

If you want to fly on an aircraft that comes out of a station like that let me know ill be glad to buy you a ticket.

I'm curious if there are any figures available from the NTSB that cites any air crashes/accidents in the US that were due to shoddy/illegal work done outside the US. If you know of any, I'd like to learn more about them.

It would also be interesting to look at any air crashes/accidents in the US that were caused by work done by US repair shops. If there are any, what does that say about the quality of the work done here in the US?

beentheredonethat

Been there, no UPSCO mgt has hit the street. Matter of fact we have had promotions adding Ctr. Mgrs like crazy.
So Airbusfxr, at first it was, if 10% of mgmt was reduced you'd be fine. I showed in the districts the operating mgmt team has reduced way over 10%. Now that's not good enough because it wasn't airline mgmt. I don't know the stats on airline mgmt, and maybe you are right they have increased there. But still, no matter what they did in SDF, it doesn't change the overwhelming reduction in mgmt ranks in the company as a whole.

ups767mech

Here are the affected gateways for UPS' current layoff of mechanics.

CLT = 1 Ft 1Pt
EWR = 7 Ft 1 utility
Koa = 1 Pt
LAS = 1 Ft (going to add a Pt in this station)
MCO = 7 Ft
MKE = 2 Ft
MSP = 1 Ft
ONT = 7 Ft
PHL = 8 FT 1 Utlity
PIT = 2 Ft
RIC = 1 Ft
ROA = 1 Ft
RSW = 1 Ft
SDF = 45 ft
SDF Breakdown:
11 Next Day Air
4 Second Day Air
22 Weekends
2 Wheel and Brake shop (utilities)
2 Quality Control
2 Tech Pubs
2 Engine Condition Monitoring

86 Total layoff this round.

Unreal

airbusfxr

The press release said nothing to do with the contract that ended in 2005. No raise for 4 years then out the door. I figure SAA and overseas vendors are gearing up for our work on time controlled items. I wonder what the FAA will think of less mechanics?

The press release said nothing to do with the contract that ended in 2005. No raise for 4 years then out the door. I figure SAA and overseas vendors are gearing up for our work on time controlled items. I wonder what the FAA will think of less mechanics?

I don't understand the comment about the FAA and less mechanics. Certainly there must be some airlines that do not employ any mechanics and contract all the maintenance work out.