W

wkmac

proups,
Penske has offered to buy out Rusty and I can't remember the name of a 3rd partner of their share in Penske South. Rusty has confirmed the offer but has made no comment on whether he will take it. Most think he will as he is building his own Team and his son Steve is running with the Hooters Cup series currently and expected to enter the ABC program as early as next year. I believe Steve has already ran an ARCA race but don't quote me on that. Steve won the Snowball Derby back in the winter against some of the heaviest hitters in the short track business which is something Rusty never did during his ASA years and it's considered some accomplishment if you win one of those things.

BTW OUTSTANDING JOB KASEY KAHNE. I've been pulling for this kid since he left the Outlaw series for NASCAR and I knew he could win. His dream to win was much sweeter as he led Tony Stewart across the finish line and who was the first to him for a congrats? Tony, and from the smile on Tony's face you'd of thought he won the race.

As for Sadler driving the UPS car I wonder if that is not to much of a stretch. DJ is within a couple of years of hanging up the helmet and Elliot I believe is only 29' and he's well liked and respected as a standup guy and won't do something to shame a team or product sponsor. If UPS continues in NASCAR beyond DJ, I'm not sure they will, then they need to be looking at another driver. I'd like to see UPS/RYR get Reed Sorenson myself but Gnassi has this kid locked down so unless UPS goes to another Team this won't happen. We watched Reed locally growing up ripping em' apart in the Legend series so we knew this kid could drive.

P

proups

mac: the third partner for the #12 team is Don Miller - Rusty's manager. They have discussed disbanding this partnership after Rusty retires, but that is still on the table.

As for new drivers, Sorenson would be a good fit as well. I have been watching him since he almost won the Atlanta Busch race last fall and he is good.

We'll see how it plays out.

W

wkmac

"the third partner for the #12 team is Don Miller"

Yeah that's it! Thanks for the reminder. I watched some of the Hooter's Cup action on TV last night before turning over and watching the NHRA race on ESPN and Steve Wallace was running in 5th place and looked good. I also think he's up in the points as well. Also Sterling is leaving Gnassi at year end and it's already said Reed won't go in the 40 car because he is under 21 and the sponsor if Coor's. Will Jamie jump to the 40 and Reed into the 42 car? Rusty also has a real interest in Jamie via their Busch effort and don't count this out in the future especially if Rusty builds a Cup effort for Steve and then goes with a 2 team effort. I think it's safe to say Ryan Newman won't get that 2nd Cup seat with Rusty if it happens. LOL!!!!!!

You working Saturday nights these days?

U

upsdude

Just to add another rumor, supposedly Jack Daniels (Dave Blaney 07) is interested in Marlin for their ride next year. With Marlin being a hometown Tennessee boy the Jack Daniels folks may see him as a better fit. Id hate that for Dave Blaney but these days it isnt just a talent thing. I dont see Ganassi letting McMurray get away. McMurray is also dating Rustys daughter so who the heck knows! LOL!

Wkmac You mentioned Legend cars, those things are wicked fast. While working my old speedway job I had a chance to turn about 25 laps in one of those cars. The local dealer had rented the track to shake down 3 cars and offered me a car to check out. Ive driven some pretty fast streetcars and did a lot of mile stuff years ago. The Legend car is without a doubt the quickest racecar Ive experienced. The Legends are also a very physical car to drive and up until this year, radios (spotters) were against series rules. Its just the driver and his mirror. Im not surprised that former Legend drivers Sorenson, Carl Edwards (Carl won a Baby Grand National Championship-Baby Grands are very similar to Legend cars) are having a huge impact on stock car racing

P

parttimejon

Taken from Jayski just to clear things up

So what is up at Penske Racing? Now that Roger Penske owns all of Penske Racing South, crew chief Matt Borland has been signed to a contract extension and driver #12-Ryan Newman is in negotiations for a similar extension, the focus shifts to finding a replacement for Rusty Wallace. Penske bought the 48% share of the team owned by Wallace, Don Miller and John Erickson this week, giving the racing magnate complete control of the three-car [#2, #12, #77] team. Wallace has announced he'll retire at the end of this season, and many believe Jamie McMurray, whose contract with Chip Ganassi Racing ends this season, will climb into the #2 Miller Dodge. McMurray, who is dating Wallace's daughter, is trying to avoid all the speculation. "Last year I got to talking about my contract," McMurray said. "I'm not going to talk about that at all." Newman has talked with Roush Racing and Evernham Motorsports about a future, but he's leaning toward staying with Borland and Penske.(Augusta Chronicle)(5-19-2005

W

wkmac

Billy Wilburn, former crew chief for Rusty Wallace has been named interium crew chief for DJ. I hate to say it but with all the crew chief changes on the #88 at some point you have to start wondering about the driver instead of the crew chiefs. Todd Parrot left but came back to the #38 and Elliot has done well. In the wake has been Jimmy Elledge, Brad Parrot, Mike Ford and now Wilburn. With Jimmy and Brad I gave DJ the benefit and when Mike came on board I thought finally as Mike came from Evernham and Bill Elliot but now I'm not convinced the crew chief is the problem. No doubt DJ is good for the company image but what about the rest of the package?

Or could it be UPS? Do they have UPS management in the shop slinging out do-better letters and other forms of harrashment?

S

switchoff

Hey Monte, you out there?? I guess you'll be watching the race this Sunday at home, like your homeboy Jason Leffler, apparently he wasn't fast enough to qualify for the race. Now that's a good investment, multi-million dollar sponsorship for your car to sit on the sideline...that's too bad

W

wkmac

Rumormill is hot that Ward Burton may take the seat of the JGR FedEx ride. I'd love to see this for Ward as he's a good guy and a good racer too. Also allow JGR to establish the team with a veteran and then develop a younger driver to come up in a couple of years and take the seat. I also don't think this is all Jason as the performance at JGR has been lacking. Tony Stewart somewhat the exception but I think his being up there has more to do with his skill as a driver and IMO the best complete driver maybe in all of racing. The guy can literally drive and win with anything that has 4 wheels and it doesn't matter if it's asphalt, concrete or dirt.

Jason and the FedEx bunch better turn it around as the Gibbs team won't stand by and let this go to much longer. Jason did pretty well in a truck so let him drive a FedEx truck and see what he can do! LOL!

W

wkmac

Fedex's involvment in NASCAR is starting to payoff. FedEx announced today the identity of a new major account they just signed up.

Hey this ain't on monte's route is it?

U

ups79

mac:you must subscribe to "The Winston Scene", sorry I mean THE SCENE. Nascar is nothing but hollywood now, so my wife and I are into NHRA. When they refer to Kurt Busch as a veteran and when after next year, Matt will be the oldest driver in years of driving Winston Cup, excuse me Nextel Cup, for Rousch its time to find another sport.

U

upsdude

And now this............

FedEx, Interstate Batteries Team Up for Coca-Cola 600: Due to Joe Gibbs Racings #11 race car failing to qualify for Sundays Coca-Cola 600 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series race at Charlotte, officials from Joe Gibbs Racing, FedEx and Interstate Batteries agreed that FedEx would become the primary sponsor of the #18 Chevrolet for the Coca-Cola 600, replacing Interstate Batteries. Bobby Labonte will remain as the driver of the #18. Crew chief Steve Addington and the entire #18 crew will also retain their normal duties. The #18 Chevrolet was to have run a Madagascar paint scheme in the Coca-Cola 600. However, DreamWorks and Action Performance Co. have graciously agreed to postpone the Madagascar promotion until the June 12 Pocono 500 at Pocono (Pa.) Raceway. We cant thank Interstate Batteries and FedEx enough for enabling us to deal with this setback in the most positive manner possible, said J.D. Gibbs, president of Joe Gibbs Racing. We stress teamwork throughout Joe Gibbs Racing. To have Interstate Batteries, who has been with us since day one, and FedEx, our newest sponsor, and Bobby Labonte and the #18 crew work through this bit of adversity so seamlessly speaks volumes about the quality of our sponsors and the character of our team.(Joe Gibbs Racing site)(5-27-2005)

W

wkmac

ups79,
Never even heard of "The Scene" but the Ward Burton talk has been all over including the various motorsports news shows on TV. Ward's name has also been bounced around everwhere else so we should be fair here. You're right about NASCAR becoming a big Hollywood production and now I see True Hollywood Story on the E channel is doing a story of Dale Jarrett. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!! I've got now where if I watch the race I turn the sound down and listen to MRN or PRN on the radio and most racing I just do whatever and listen on the radio anyway. Grew up that way and old habits hard to break. LOL! Almost all my interest these days in roundy round is on dirt anyway so Hollywood can have NASCAR.

As for NHRA, I grew up around Charlotte in the 60's with stock cars but the 70's I got hooked on drag racing, NHRA, IHRA and the old AHRA. I still prefer the 70's era drag racing to todays version but I still enjoy the sport. Heartland Park got rained out yesterday but today the weather is suppose to be awesome with a cool front having moved in with fantastic air. Haven't heard what the adjusted altitude numbers are but I heard they are expecting well below 1000 feet. Many expect the speed and elapsed time numbers to fall with national records on the bubble. If the situation is right don't be surrpised to see a low 4.40 sec. run and maybe a dip into the 30's and we might even see 340 mph.

Ona drag racing note, NHRA has certified the mono strut design of Don Garlits Swamp Rat 34 and word is Clay Millican is having a mono car built and may already have it for testing. After the death of Darrell Russell I knew the mono car would come back into play. Big is a hero of mine and I glad to see his innovations are still impacting the sport.

P

parttimejon

i'm going to Charlotte this weekend to watch the 600 and do some drinkin. as long as jimmy johnson or gordon doesn't win everything will be ok.

W

wkmac

"as long as jimmy johnson or gordon doesn't win everything will be ok."

Wasted a perfectly good Sunday evening I see! LOL!!!!!!

So far the addition of Billy Wilburn seems to have worked but 2 races at a single track doesn't make a championship. It is promising and DJ is staying under that 400 point boundary so we'll see.

What a wreckfest and several pure bonehead moves by drivers who should know better. Even though Labonte was driving the FedEx car I was hoping he would win. In all that carnage I don't think Bobby had a scratch on that car.

How about Danica Patrick! She done good yesterday and kept her cool after making mistakes. I'd love to she what would happen if she had a full load of fuel but she still did a great job.

M

montecarlo11

switchoff,
talk to me. what did i miss? didnt get a chance to see the race. No Fedex car? I dont think Jason will be in the driver seat much longer. I know its a new team with a young driver but i think the pressure is getting to him. Gibbs said they were sticking with him but I cant see how the way he has been this year.

M

montecarlo11

wkmac,
loved the picture. I was off for three weeks buying some property outside of Raleigh (Apex) and could have sworn I saw that bldg. I was also down in the Daytona area looking at land in a small town called Astor. (its about 45 min from A1A in downtown Daytona). There was a place like that there to but the one I saw also had a tackle shop.