8am start Monday 11/26. Peaks here officially tomorrow! let's go

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
One of the biggest contributors to the 12 to 1 pm closure scenario is the UPS RULES themselves. They contracted with the Union to have us take lunch between the 4th and 6th hour, and if we start at 9am, then the EARLIEST time we can take lunch is 1pm.

If we could take lunch between 12 and 1pm, then we wouldnt have this problem, but UPS in its wisdom, prevents that, and also LOOPS business between 12pm and 1pm knowing we will eventually end up someplace when they are closed in that hour.

I have defended cases in arbitration where UPS attempted to discharge an employee for such offenses, but when presented with the delivery loop, it was clear UPS was sending drivers into businesses during the 12pm to 1pm window and a proper recording of packages could not occur within the company guidelines without the driver having to "cheat" the sheeting process.

Its called a "FORCED ERROR".

Think about it next time someone threatens you or disciplines you. USE TRACE as your defense. If you are looped into business at that hour, then the company is going to get what they "DESIGNED" into the route. If they dont want errors, they need to be forced to reloop a route and prevent the "FORCED ERRORS" in the first place.

We should never be put into a position where a driver has to make a decision to falsify a delivery record when they have no other logical alternatives.

Peace

TOS

kingOFchester

My route I am done businesses by 11:30. If it were me, and in today's UPS world, if I had a business in my loop, EDD had me there between 12 and 1, they were closed and I would not be passing it later in the day, I would not sheet and send message to center stating that i will be breaking off route to service business after 1 being that EDD had me there during 12-1 unless other wise directed.

That is all you would have to do. Always put the problem back on them.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
One of the biggest contributors to the 12 to 1 pm closure scenario is the UPS RULES themselves. They contracted with the Union to have us take lunch between the 4th and 6th hour, and if we start at 9am, then the EARLIEST time we can take lunch is 1pm.

If we could take lunch between 12 and 1pm, then we wouldnt have this problem, but UPS in its wisdom, prevents that, and also LOOPS business between 12pm and 1pm knowing we will eventually end up someplace when they are closed in that hour.

I have defended cases in arbitration where UPS attempted to discharge an employee for such offenses, but when presented with the delivery loop, it was clear UPS was sending drivers into businesses during the 12pm to 1pm window and a proper recording of packages could not occur within the company guidelines without the driver having to "cheat" the sheeting process.

Its called a "FORCED ERROR".

Think about it next time someone threatens you or disciplines you. USE TRACE as your defense. If you are looped into business at that hour, then the company is going to get what they "DESIGNED" into the route. If they dont want errors, they need to be forced to reloop a route and prevent the "FORCED ERRORS" in the first place.

We should never be put into a position where a driver has to make a decision to falsify a delivery record when they have no other logical alternatives.

Peace

TOS

I agree. but dont want to discount another obvious solution.
Break trace after 1pm and go back to make a legtimate attempt.
For me, falsifying records is never an option.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I agree. but dont want to discount another obvious solution.
Break trace after 1pm and go back to make a legtimate attempt.
For me, falsifying records is never an option.

You are correct, if the trace puts you into a situation where between 12pm and 1pm there is a closure, or moreover, a call tag that isnt ready or a COD that is NM1, then you simply drive away and then return after breaking trace just to record the package. This does increase mileage and lose time, but its the only way to meet the delivery standards.

UPS considers a NM1 and a NR1 between 12 and 1pm the same as a closure.

Its ridiculous, I know, but someone believes this is a good practice.

peace

TOS