9.5 greivance

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Funny, I logged in to the site to research this very topic.

How do the rules relate to FT drivers who's routes have been cut? I've put in 116 hours in two weeks and when I asked my half assed shop steward about helping he said nothing could be done because I'm not running my bidded route. In fact, I haven't run the same route back-to-back in a month.

So much for bidding on a route :sad-little:

What rights if any do I have?

Depends on your location. In the Central we have separate language and it does not matter what route your on, you can file. We do not have the penalty pay language but it does state that if a 9.5 grievance cannot be resolved it goes straight to the JAC. At that point the penalty pay would come into effect if ruled in your favor.

satellitedriver

Back to the 9.5 grievence point of this thread.
I think the new contract should address the total o.t. worked in a week, not three days over 9.5 in one week.
Example;
You can grieve if you have three 9.75 days and two 9.49 days for a total of 8.23hrs o.t..
You can not grieve if you have two 11hr days and three 9.49hr days for a total 10.47hrs o.t.
It does not make sense to me that one can work 2.24hrs o.t. more in a week, without the right to grieve excessive o.t..

LagunaBrown

First post of mine on here, but here it goes. Take it from another driver who's route is cut out most Mon, Tues and some Wed...you can still file 9.5 grievances no matter what route you're on. Unfortunately your steward doesn't sound like he wants to do anything for you. As for your route being cut out, talk to the other drivers in your loop and make sure they are taking their break between the third and sixth hour. If they're taking their breaks at the end of the day (shame on all drivers who do) to get businesses off, this helps managment cut out your route. Also don't think for a second that you're supposed to run the same as the normal driver if you're bumping lower seniority drivers off their route. THEY are cutting out YOUR route and YOU have the right to work. Good luck man and don't be scared to fight the good fight.

Don't forget about 8hr requests..... If the guys in you loop use them it will help your route stay in. You only get 2 a month so don't ever let em go to waste. If 5 drivers in your loop take them that's 2 weeks solid.

jalnar

Cant wait till peak. At least there will be 2 in the truck with these Christman dispatches.Think back 10 or 15 years what you went out with and what you do today. Most of us are doing Christmas dispatches today as if it was the norm. Make the money save it and get out A>S>A>P

CharleyHustle

I don't think that filling for excessive OT is going to help you much. It is like what satellite says, they will still bomb you two days a week and keep you max 9.4 the other three. I also don't think the company is going to go for any restrictions on cutting routes or overtime in general. They like the current system because in the end we always seem to blame each other, for not filing, or not taking lunch, or running or not doing the methods. They could care less if you "hate" it or them. Bottom line is this has NEVER been a 9-5 job. Over 30+ years the only thing that has gotten drivers in earlier has been air commits.

We are in a period where until the company feels they have a better labor situation, over dispatching and cutting routes will rule the day. Its a tough pill to take but for the most part we just have to ride it out. Do the methods, follow the rules and do your best. No accidents, injuries, or misdeliveries. Make service on all business deliveries and pick ups no matter how long it takes. And most important, smile, don't let them see you sweat.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Don't forget about 8hr requests..... If the guys in you loop use them it will help your route stay in. You only get 2 a month so don't ever let em go to waste. If 5 drivers in your loop take them that's 2 weeks solid.
Ha! That's a good one. 8hr requests are all but ignored where I work. Atlanta doesn't care if someone has an 8hr request. The center manager is told by Corporate how many routes they can run each day. I guess they figured it's cheaper to pay the 2 hour penalty than to add another route.

LagunaBrown

First off not even trying is the worst thing you can do and is exactly what they want. In fact you are enabling other drivers to get abused with that attitude. If you peppered them with grievances every time an 8 hr request is denied you get paid and you should keep requesting them till your two are granted. We don't have as much apathy in our center so we do a good job fighting for our rights.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
But feeders isn't strenuous work for 10+ hours every day of the week.

Sleep deprivation and working nights also takes a toll on the human body.

Having a set of triple trailers strapped to my ass on an icy hill at 3:00AM? I'll keep my day job in a blown-out package car, thank you very much.

packageguy

We should all greive this in every building all over UPS.

UPS wants to work us 10 11 12 hours a day, they dont want to hire new people, they want to cut routes, I guess it saves them money.

The only way to stop it is to greive and hopefully win, and get money. Money is all UPS cares about, period, the dont care about safety, health, they dont care if you see your kids between monday and friday, they care about CASH PERIOD.

If we greive and win and make them pay then they will notice, nothing else will make them wake up. Not accidents or injuries, they will just blame those on us, never mind if we are in our 46 hour of work on a thursday.

No unless they have to pay us they wont ever stop.

I have tried to get everyone on board, But out of 80 drivers only 20 drivers stepped up.

ibleedbrown

has it always been this way through ur careers? or is it the economy? do u see this as an ongoing trend?
also when u guys say u worked 11 hrs are u counting ur lunches? i doubt many of u come in early to help load ur trucks off the clock. geez if u come in early and skip ur lunch an 11 hour day turns into a 13 hr day yikes!!!!!!

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
People working off the clock and working through their lunches is the number one reason why this is an issue. If everyone would take their lunch between the 4th and 6th hour and not work at all off the clock, then UPS would have to put in more routes. There are several guys in our center who say they have to take their lunch at the end of the day or they will have missed business deliveries. Excuse me? How is this their problem? If they would all take their lunches in the middle of the day, then UPS would be forced to add a route or two in order to make service to these customers. With extra routes on the road, everyone's hours come down. No matter how much we try to ask these guys to eat lunch during the day, they won't do it. They are scared to stand up for what's right.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
People working off the clock and working through their lunches is the number one reason why this is an issue. If everyone would take their lunch between the 4th and 6th hour and not work at all off the clock, then UPS would have to put in more routes..

+1000

If you arent part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

The company's entire business plan revolves around screwing as many people as possible out of their lunches and breaks thru harassment, coercion, overdispatching, and rigged time allowances. They get away with it because, collectively, we let them get away with it.

DorkHead

People working off the clock and working through their lunches is the number one reason why this is an issue. If everyone would take their lunch between the 4th and 6th hour and not work at all off the clock, then UPS would have to put in more routes. There are several guys in our center who say they have to take their lunch at the end of the day or they will have missed business deliveries. Excuse me? How is this their problem? If they would all take their lunches in the middle of the day, then UPS would be forced to add a route or two in order to make service to these customers. With extra routes on the road, everyone's hours come down. No matter how much we try to ask these guys to eat lunch during the day, they won't do it. They are scared to stand up for what's right.

BINGO! +1

LagunaBrown

Don't worry your just ahead of the game..... I wouldn't have said this 6 years ago but things have changed a lot and they really are pushing too hard. Drivers will realize it when they do all you say and it is still not enough for their supervisors..... I already see it starting, when you do fight back with an opt-in or 8 hr request it pushes the next guy cause he gets even more hammered unless he is on board....... Take care of yourself and it will work out.... Would you rather be called lazy (which is totally oxymoronic) or a bitch (working for free)?