9.5 language got worst for cover drivers!!!!!

SouthernComfort

To be able to Opt In on the 9.5 list

Employees within the full-time driver classification shall be eligible for the protection of this Section provided: (1) the employee covers a route for a full week; (2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer; or (3) an employee with four (4) years of seniority as a full-time package driver.

Ive been cover driving for 8 years, this pretty much says that ONLY employees with 4 years of full-time pkg seniority will be able to opt onto the 9.5 list....So if I go full time tomorrow, Ill still have 4 years of 10hour days in pkg? Thats outrageous!!!! This is at the bottom of page 30 in the National Master TA. Am I reading this wrong?

Inthegame

To be able to Opt In on the 9.5 list

Employees within the full-time driver classification shall be eligible for the protection of this Section provided: (1) the employee covers a route for a full week; (2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer; or (3) an employee with four (4) years of seniority as a full-time package driver.

Ive been cover driving for 8 years, this pretty much says that ONLY employees with 4 years of full-time pkg seniority will be able to opt onto the 9.5 list....So if I go full time tomorrow, Ill still have 4 years of 10hour days in pkg? Thats outrageous!!!! This is at the bottom of page 30 in the National Master TA. Am I reading this wrong?
Yes, you are reading it wrong. If any of the criteria is met you get the 9.5 protection. You don't need to fulfill all three points. Actually the four year deal seals the protection without 1 or 2 being met.

This is why you should attend a contract explanation meeting. This is definitely improved language.

SouthernComfort

Inthegame, I do not have 4 years of full time pkg seniority... just 8 years of part time pkg seniority...#1 and #2 are out of the question... In 8 years Ive maybe been on the same route a whole week straight 4 or 5 times, this includes peak season. I have ZERO years as a full time package driver. If someone was full time 22.3 for a decade, then went to package he would have 0 years as a full time package driver also...

stink219

Yes, you are reading it wrong. If any of the criteria is met you get the 9.5 protection. You don't need to fulfill all three points. Actually the four year deal seals the protection without 1 or 2 being met.

This is why you should attend a contract explanation meeting. This is definitely improved language.
Bingo!!
Keep people on track brother. Good job.

SouthernComfort

Bingo!!
I have only been on the same route all week a few times in the last 5 years, they dont even keep "us" cover drivers on the same route during peak. All it takes if for ONE call in, or ONE route to get cut to throw the whole bracket in a whirlwind. Even if I requested to be on Driver G's route all next week, and I had the most seniority.... Driver G would have to be Opted IN on the 9.5 list for it to apply for me.

Buck Fifty

The company will still pay it all day long. Stiffer penalties need to be in place. Most cover drivers/ TCD's are scared to file and the company knows it.

SouthernComfort

The last time I put in for an 8hr request it was "approved"... I showed up to a 10hr dispatch and was not sent any relief, grievance filed and lost at local panel, no 8hr requests for cover drivers...at all... ever. It was for my Mom's 50th birthday dinner on a Tuesday night... I missed the dinner, "if UPS cared about your family they would have assigned you on with your brown uniform"

Inthegame

The company will still pay it all day long. Stiffer penalties need to be in place. Most cover drivers/ TCD's are scared to file and the company knows it.
Agreed, they will pay all day long. But stiffer penalties are in place and the language has improved, not regressed as SC states. The insane hoops are eliminated, the techniques commonly used to wiggle out of the 9.5 obligation are addressed in item (2). The additional language gives the union a first time right to address insufficient staffing. That's a plus.
The "too scared to file guys" are a lost cause not worth the time. People died for labor agreements and now we have "members" that want the union to change their diapers.

SouthernComfort

Agreed, they will pay all day long. But stiffer penalties are in place and the language has improved, not regressed as SC states. The insane hoops are eliminated, the techniques commonly used to wiggle out of the 9.5 obligation are addressed in item (2). The additional language gives the union a first time right to address insufficient staffing. That's a plus.
The "too scared to file guys" are a lost cause not worth the time. People died for labor agreements and now we have "members" that want the union to change their diapers.

If a driver is paid a penalty under this subsection more than three (3) times in a single five (5) month opt-in period, then the District Labor Manager and Business Agent will meet with the Center Manager, the steward and the driver to ensure future compliance under this subsection. If any further penalty is paid on this employee during the five (5) month period, a meeting shall be scheduled with the above parties and the Co-Chairs of the applicable Supplemental panel to determine what actions are necessary to ensure compliance.

Reads to me like they can violate your 9.5 rights 3 times in 5 months... then all sit down and have a cup of coffee and talk about it. Its like saying "You better not... or else" Tell that to your 15 year old son, without an actual penalty/punishment they will test these waters every chance they get. I for one..... love a good cup of coffee.

Inthegame

If a driver is paid a penalty under this subsection more than three (3) times in a single five (5) month opt-in period, then the District Labor Manager and Business Agent will meet with the Center Manager, the steward and the driver to ensure future compliance under this subsection. If any further penalty is paid on this employee during the five (5) month period, a meeting shall be scheduled with the above parties and the Co-Chairs of the applicable Supplemental panel to determine what actions are necessary to ensure compliance.

Reads to me like they can violate your 9.5 rights 3 times in 5 months... then all sit down and have a cup of coffee and talk about it. Its like saying "You better not... or else" Tell that to your 15 year old son, without an actual penalty/punishment they will test these waters every chance they get. I for one..... love a good cup of coffee.
More like a few dozens beers at a golf game. But you need to keep reading. If what you describe happens, the new language gives the union a fighting chance AWAY from panels and puts it in an arbitrators lap. Awards, including progression advancement and back pay, can then go to prospective employees not offered driving opportunities. Never before has the union had an avenue to attack understaffing. This is huge.

SouthernComfort

It would go to arbitration... how cute! Someone who has no idea what our job requirements are that dont do a manual labor job and work in the A/C will decide what the penalty is. The penalty will be a check for 3x your hourly wage for every time your 9.5 rights are violated.... The arbitrator will think this is a fair deal, but that arbitrator eats dinner at 6:30 every night with their family. Its not about the $$$$$ to me, its the time spent away from my family and the wear and tear on my body. You cant say "its always been long hours, you knew what the job was", when I started driving NO ONE was to be out PAST 9.5... if your 9.5 was at 7:20 and you pulled into the building at 7:18 they would have you clock out and a supervisor would park your truck!!

stink219

Bingo!!
I have only been on the same route all week a few times in the last 5 years, they dont even keep "us" cover drivers on the same route during peak. All it takes if for ONE call in, or ONE route to get cut to throw the whole bracket in a whirlwind. Even if I requested to be on Driver G's route all next week, and I had the most seniority.... Driver G would have to be Opted IN on the 9.5 list for it to apply for me.
OR, you need 4 years seniority. Your reading the language wrong.

SouthernComfort

4 years full time package seniority...Stink, I am a PART TIME cover driver, we have those in the Southern Region. Even though I have been driving for 8 years, its 8 years part time. The 18-20 days a year I dont drive(low volume/no vacations) I return to my part time building job, I get no 8 hour guarantee on those days.

stink219

We have those. In our supplement your time driving will come off your progression. As for 9.5, you have to meet the language qualification.