9.5 list question

Logb17

So how exactly does it work. I just made it today, and the only part I don't like about the job is they can make you work as long as they want. So far ive been working 10 hours a day at least, sometimes 11. Someone told me if your on the list you can work over 9.5 only two days, then after that its triple time over 9.5.

If I request to be on this list, will it put me on their radar? Does management hate it? I may wait a year so it doesn't give them more of an incentive to lay me off.

e48e40e4

It used to be you would sign up on the opt-in list or the opt-out list and you would stay on that list for six months and then the lists would be posted again to sign up.

The way it works now is you have to work over 9.5 hours on three days in a work week. When that has happened make sure you get with a steward to help you speak with your center manager and inform them you are opting-in on the 9.5 list. It's not an option for the center manager to decide if they want to put you on the opt-in list, with your steward tell the center manager your are opting-in as of now. Make sure you remember this date, wright it down. You will be on the 9.5 list for 5 months excluding November and December. Also, keep track of the dates you were worked over 9.5 hours. If you are worked over 9.5 hours on three days in a work week again while on the opt-in list you now can file a grievance. You should do so for every week that you are violated with three days of over 9.5 hours. Once the five months are up you will automatically come off the list and you start the whole process over(one week of three 9.5 days then opt back in for another five months).

I have heard in some areas the company just pays the tripple time and the drivers continue to work the long hours. In my location our center manager doesn't want us to file grievances. I am on the opt-in list and when I have worked over 9.5 on two days of the week, the remaining days of the week I am instructed to be punched out by 9.49 hours. I bring back volume to the building and they get those who want the hours to take the volume back out and have it delivered.

It most likely will put you on their radar. Management is going to be looking to see if you have methods that need tightening up. It actually is a good chance to have mangament look at your route and notice anything they can do to help reduce your overtime. Sometimes the way the route is setup to be run has many flaws that can be corrected to help reduce inefficiences. We all want to do a good job and make money, but sometimes the over time can really burn you up. Its important to use the opt-in list if you want the reduction in overtime and especially important to use the the list if they decided to just keep working you because at least you will then be getting tripple time to help compensate for the long hours. Once you opt-in don't flip flop around about it. Don't get violated and just decide to do nothing about it. Be a clean driver, follow the methods and you can survive. If your not doing things right it will catch up to you. Good luck.

rocket man

So how exactly does it work. I just made it today, and the only part I don't like about the job is they can make you work as long as they want. So far ive been working 10 hours a day at least, sometimes 11. Someone told me if your on the list you can work over 9.5 only two days, then after that its triple time over 9.5.

If I request to be on this list, will it put me on their radar? Does management hate it? I may wait a year so it doesn't give them more of an incentive to lay me off.
IM not on 9/5 list MY SELF . but we all on radar , ive looked thru contract book i cant find radAR ON ANY PAGE , but IF YOU ARE DOING TEN TO 11 HOURS DAYS/NIGHT (lol) WITCH I DO MYSELF NOT ALL THE TIME WE ARE IN DIFFFRENT PLACES WE ARE BOTH ON THE RADAR ALREADY. THERES ONLY ONE PERSON WHO CAN SIGN YOU UP FOR THAT AND THATS YOU.( I THINK 50 HOUR CHECK IS GOOD ENOUGH ), AND WHEN I DO 32 AND 6 HOURS OT THATS GOOD TWO . I TRY TOTAKE OFF AT LEAST 1 DAY A WEEK, BY ME TAKING OFF THE THE ONE DAY (im) BETTING THE COPANY WILL STILL BE THERE THE NEXT DAY. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR DECISION, AND TALK TO YOUR SHOP REP THATS WHAT THEY ARE THERE FOR, AND A LOT OF THEM DO A GOOD JOB THANK YOU IF ANY REPS ARE READING THIS.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
9.5 language is different for each regional supplement. Check with your local Union officers to find out exactly how your area works.

Logb17

Well I did my 31st day today. First day with seniority. Got yelled at by a comstumer who forgot to get pup'd and I had to go grab it, not on my route. Truck was completely bricked with pups. Got back to the building, couldn't wait to punch out. Then the tell me to head back out and take 20 stops off someone. this is at 6:45 mind you. Got back in at 8:50. Stressed out right now!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Well I did my 31st day today. First day with seniority. Got yelled at by a comstumer who forgot to get pup'd and I had to go grab it, not on my route. Truck was completely bricked with pups. Got back to the building, couldn't wait to punch out. Then the tell me to head back out and take 20 stops off someone. this is at 6:45 mind you. Got back in at 8:50. Stressed out right now!!

Welcome to life at the bottom.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
in my building the drivers talk about The List like it's some kind of protective shield to keep them from getting extra work

as far as i'm concerned, it's an issue that should be resolved by PDS but once you're on the road, i don't care who's on what list where

barnyard

KTM rider
They absolutely can force you to go back out unless you have language in your supplement that prohibits it.

That is correct. We do not have that language. We can refuse if if there is a lower seniority person available to do the work. If you really do not want to go back out, punch out your board, give it to a PT supe, saying, "I feel an attack of diarrhea, could you put this in the rack??"

Then, when someone asks you to go back out, you can honestly say, "Sorry, punched out already."

bumped

It sucks, but you know what. Each and everyone of us have had to go through it. That is what its like being at the bottom. Just remember, this it what you wanted.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
They absolutely can force you to go back out unless you have language in your supplement that prohibits it.

Article 19 Section 6 of the Central Region Supplement:

Drivers shall not be disciplined for refusing to go back out on the street once they have returned to the building, after completed their full day's work.

tourists24

Article 19 Section 6 of the Central Region Supplement:

Drivers shall not be disciplined for refusing to go back out on the street once they have returned to the building, after completed their full day's work.
We dont have that here in the Atlantic Supplement... wish we did though... thats awesome language...lol