9.5 throughout Peak!!

browniehound

What do you mean by the over 9.5 rule enforced? Where I work, If you think you will be over 9.5 hours by 1500 hours you must send a message to the center on what you need to lose. Nobody ever gets help so its just an exercise.

When you say "the 9.5 rule is enforced" do you mean you still need to send a message 1-10 days before Christmas that you are going over? To me this is a waste of time and money spent sending the messages.

My attitude is let us get the job done. The work you give us is more than a 9.5 dispacth even by UPS standards. So please, give me my helper and 320+ stops and I will get the job done around 10 hours. Don't nickel and dime me with the helper and make me send messages. If you want to cut my helper loose early to save $9.50, it will hurt you to the tune of $43/hour and another $10 for the time bonus (in MA we get 20 min. of OT after 10 hours).

My opinion is take your numbers and ignore them. I say this for UPS's sake. I can only use my helper for x amount of hours? This is ridiculous. Its almost free labor for UPS to keep the helper. They are not paying benifits or pension money to the helper. They are paying him $9.50/hour and if the helper team is average, UPS is getting 40-50 stops per hour or 20-25 stops/hour for $9.50. The other 11 months of the year UPS pays me $29 for 15-20 stops.

This guy or gal is making $9.50 an hour, why are you worried about his cost? After 530pm OT kicks in for me but its time to cut the slave labor loose?

If I could keep him an extra hour I could stay under 10. Oh well its not my numbers:happy2:.

Does this make sense to anyone????

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
What do you mean by the over 9.5 rule enforced? Where I work, If you think you will be over 9.5 hours by 1500 hours you must send a message to the center on what you need to lose. Nobody ever gets help so its just an exercise.

When you say "the 9.5 rule is enforced" do you mean you still need to send a message 1-10 days before Christmas that you are going over? To me this is a waste of time and money spent sending the messages.

My attitude is let us get the job done. The work you give us is more than a 9.5 dispacth even by UPS standards. So please, give me my helper and 320+ stops and I will get the job done around 10 hours. Don't nickel and dime me with the helper and make me send messages. If you want to cut my helper loose early to save $9.50, it will hurt you to the tune of $43/hour and another $10 for the time bonus (in MA we get 20 min. of OT after 10 hours).

My opinion is take your numbers and ignore them. I say this for UPS's sake. I can only use my helper for x amount of hours? This is ridiculous. Its almost free labor for UPS to keep the helper. They are not paying benifits or pension money to the helper. They are paying him $9.50/hour and if the helper team is average, UPS is getting 40-50 stops per hour or 20-25 stops/hour for $9.50. The other 11 months of the year UPS pays me $29 for 15-20 stops.

This guy or gal is making $9.50 an hour, why are you worried about his cost? After 530pm OT kicks in for me but its time to cut the slave labor loose?

If I could keep him an extra hour I could stay under 10. Oh well its not my numbers:happy2:.

Does this make sense to anyone????

It makes a lot of sense to me. Last year I was covering a trip that a comp queen had left open and the loop and miles either meant I had a helper for 3 hours or 7-8 hours. I told the dispatch sup to load us up because it made sense so I had the helper longer and the other driver next to me had less work(hours). My on car sup agreed so using 1 helper longer meant that 2 drivers paid day was less than 9.5. Looking at the big picture the packages got delivered and picked up in a cost effective manner safely.

DS

Fenderbender
Theres a big push here for oncars to enforce the under9.5 rule,although half of us are told under 10,5,weve been told if we have to miss to stay under then so be it.So much for service.

buttere

Starting the beginning of last week I've had 200 stops a day with a helper for 3hrs. I've been getting done by 9.5 except one day was out for almost 12. Here in Kansas there is no 9.5 rule during peak. Not that the 9.5 rule ever really does much for you, IMO.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I thought it was the teamsters job to enforce the 9.5 hr rule.
The teamsters negotiate the contract that you are currently working under. It spells out your rights as an employee and its up to you the employee to bring a contract violation up to ups and then the to the union steward to resolve the issue. In this 9.5 case there is a penalty involved for working over 9.5 which is triple time.

If the company violates you you are entitled to $85 an hour for every minute worked over 9.5. The teamsters have no way to determine if you have been violated unless you bring it to their attention. I am a 9.5 salesman, i solicit grievances at will for 9.5 and also 8 hour requests.

i will spend as much time with a member to inform him/her on what they are missing out on by not filing and how by them filing with the rest of us we can get ups to put in more routes.

The contract is your friend if you utilize it, if you don't than its not even worth the paper its written on!

Yesterday was my third over 9.5 day for this week, I will be filing. Now if we could just get the over 9.5 committee to do it's job it might help to get that extra route in.

barnyard

KTM rider
I was told yesterday, drivers going out with a helper have to be done in under 9.1 hours.

This week, I've been close to or over 10 every day. I don't get it.

TB

tunemixer

We had 17 helpers in our center yesterday. Volume may be down now but pople are still going to buy. Maybe just smaller items but the pieces will still be there. Its peak!! We have t expect more hours. Its pretty cut and dry. Anybody that dosen't is in the wrong business.

I usually work 10-11 hours a day before peak, I don't need anymore freakin hours. I already have 45 hours for this week with freaky friday to go.

chev

Nightcrawler
The teamsters negotiate the contract that you are currently working under. It spells out your rights as an employee and its up to you the employee to bring a contract violation up to ups and then the to the union steward to resolve the issue. In this 9.5 case there is a penalty involved for working over 9.5 which is triple time.

If the company violates you you are entitled to $85 an hour for every minute worked over 9.5. The teamsters have no way to determine if you have been violated unless you bring it to their attention. I am a 9.5 salesman, i solicit grievances at will for 9.5 and also 8 hour requests.

i will spend as much time with a member to inform him/her on what they are missing out on by not filing and how by them filing with the rest of us we can get ups to put in more routes.

The contract is your friend if you utilize it, if you don't than its not even worth the paper its written on!

AMEN!
I would be happy to file a grievance for $85 an hour.....oh wait, I'm a feeder driver...I already make that much....:laughing: JK