90% Yes to strike

airbusfxr

Brothers and Sister, we might need your help as we gave in '97. Our strike vote was 90% for and if talks break down, we are released from mediation, the President can either ask for a PEB or let us strike after a 30 day cooling off period. This could be as early as Thanksgiving. Please read the Reuters article and understand we have been without a contract while the company has make money in 2006, 2007, 2008. Hopefully the Mediator will move both groups to an agreement but we cannot go forever without one.

A

anonymous6

You guys were with us in 97 and i remember it like it was yesterday.

this is so dispictable.

JonFrum

Speaking of STRIKE . . .

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]NATIONAL MASTER UNITED PARCEL SERVICE AGREEMENT[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]

[/FONT]

ARTICLE 9. PROTECTION OF RIGHTS
Section 1. Picket Line
It shall not be a violation of this Agreement and it shall not be cause for discharge or disciplinary action (including but not limited to the temporary or permanent replacement of any employee) in the event an employee refuses to enter upon any property involved in a primary labor dispute, or refuses to go through or work behind any primary picket line, including the primary picket line of Unions party to this Agreement, and including primary picket lines at the Employer's place of business, and the Employer shall not direct any employee to cross a primary picket line.

Section 2. Struck Goods
It shall not be a violation of this Agreement and it shall not be a cause for discharge or disciplinary action if any employee refuses to perform any service which his/her Employer undertakes to perform as an ally of an employer or person whose employees are on strike, and which service, but for such strikes, would be performed by the employees of the employer or person on strike.

Section 3.
Subject to the appropriate subcontracting provisions of this Agreement, the Employer agrees that it will not cease or refrain from handling, using, transporting, or otherwise dealing in any of the products of any other employer or cease doing business with any other person, or fail in any obligation imposed by the Motor Carrier's Act or other applicable law, as a result of individual employees exercising their rights under this Agreement or under law, but the Employer shall, notwithstanding any other provision in this Agreement, when necessary, continue doing such business by other employees.

Section 4.
The layover provisions of the applicable Supplemental Agreement, Rider or Addendum shall apply when the Employer knowingly dispatches a road driver to a terminal at which a primary picket line has been posted as a result of the exhaustion of the grievance procedure, or after proper notification of a picket line permitted by the collective bargaining agreement, or economic strikes occurring after the expiration of a collective bargaining agreement or to achieve a collective bargaining agreement.

Section 5. Grievances
Within five (5) working days of filing a grievance claiming violation of this Article, the grievance shall be submitted directly to the National Grievance Committee without taking any intermediate steps, any other provision of this Agreement to the contrary notwithstanding.

ARTICLE 28. SYMPATHETIC ACTION
In the event of a labor dispute between the Employer, party to this Agreement, and any International Brotherhood of Teamsters' Union, parties to this or any other International Brotherhood of Teamsters' Agreement, during the course of which dispute such Union engages in lawful economic activities which are not in violation of this or such other agreement, then any other affiliate of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, having an agreement with such Employer, shall have the right only if sanctioned pursuant to the procedures of the International Constitution, and only after receiving such sanctions, to engage in lawful economic activity against such Employer in support of the above first mentioned Union notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Agreement or the International Brotherhood of Teamsters' Agreement between such Employer and such other affiliate.

PobreCarlos

Question: What would constitute a "primary picket line"? One established at any UPS facility, or would it be limited to those at the places of business of the primary employer (i.e. - UPS Airlines)?

Not taking a stance on the question; simply don't know the answer.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
And why exactly has this dispute come this far? Usually in contract talks, both sides ask for ridiculous things and then both parties meet somewhere in the middle. Since the mechanics have been without a contract for over three years, is this because of a bad local's negotiating team or the company demanding too much in concessions? I'm not taking sides, I just hear little bits and pieces here and there and I don't understand the whole story.

I have been through UPS/IBT contracts since the 70's, and I understand how people get worked up at this time. Most employees can't afford to strike because they live paycheck to paycheck, and the company knows this. I can't believe that the company would risk the loss of volume over contracts with 1400 employees after what happened in '97.

PobreCarlos

scratch;

Just an opinion, but I suspect that there are those in management at UPS who look back on the '97 strike and think more of opportunities it made available then than anything else. The lost business had an impact, yes...but the profit was still there on what remained; it was mostly the Teamsters who shot themselves in the foot financially in terms of lost income. However, signing-off on the Teamsters concession (the 100 million CSPF rebate) instead of biting the bullet and sticking to a complete withdrawal from Central States - regardless of temporary cost - is something that I think the company's management rues to this day. Remember, the company was limited to a withdrawal liability of approximately a billion back then, but a few years laters paid 6 billion to bail-out. That amount of money - coupled with vastly bettered work flexibility - would have, in many manager's minds, covered a much longer job action on the part of UPS. And don't think for a moment that there aren't those in UPS's management considering that today.

UPS has always been a long-term company and, although "going public" changed that somewhat, I don't think it's changed things THAT much. And being that type of company (bearing in mind that public shareholders still don't have much of a say) might - and please note that I'm saying *MIGHT*, not shall - open-up all sorts of possibilities.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Good luck to you brothers and sisters! If the time comes I will honor your lines! Time to put the winter gear in the trunk just in case.