'97 Strike Resulted in UPS Going Public

You mean the way those "full-time" jobs went down?
If you think driver's get beat up after 30 years of physical labor ... look at some of these friend/T insiders that can barely walk and can barely lift anything above their shoulders.
Many if those insiders, were originally drivers Trust me I know how bad your body gets beat up doing this job.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A) When has management ever cared what the drivers thought or did?

B) Management screwed themselves by going public as far as I'm concerned.
C) Before going public, stock split like rabbits and management pretty much controlled the price.
D) Multimillionaire managers were getting "hypo" loans and becoming even richer. Not true now.

E) Going public benefited two groups of people:
1) the descendants of the founding fathers who were already filthy rich and;
2) the multimillionaire managers who became even richer.

friend) The union employee buying $20 of stock per paycheck isn't really gaining anything.

G) Don't blame the drivers.

A) That always depends on the local management with which an individual interacts.
---My management reacted very favorably to my suggestions and took care of me even though I backed over a low well house.

B) Management ( as far as you can perceive ) did not vote to go public. That was the Board of Directors mostly.

C) Yep, loved those splits.
The Board controlled the price and kept it suppressed.

D) Yep - lucky enough to have been willing to take the risk.

E) 1) Yep and even more the Charitable Foundations
---2) Yep, unfortunately I wasn't one of those ... maybe 10 years too young.
------I did quite well though.

friend) Anybody buying $20 per paycheck is not going to get rich regardless of which stock they bought.
---I was buying thousands of dollars of stock with each paycheck ... I wish I had spent more.

G) Get real, Drivers get blamed for everything!

Last edited:

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Really ... you expect the 97 strike to be mentioned in propaganda?

This was from sitting in the Corporate cafeteria where the Management Committee (MC) members ate and drank.
I heard one MC person myself and others heard them as well.
It was openly discussed around Corporate for a few years before the word cam down not to discuss the 97 strike anymore ... it was time to move on.
Just because it doesn't subscribe to your theory does not make it propaganda.
And you are basing all this on some dude talking in the cafeteria really?
I was shooting the breeze at a picnic table at break back in 98 and heard nothing about it

Catatonic

Nine Lives
And you are basing all this on some dude talking in the cafeteria really?
I was shooting the breeze at a picnic table at break back in 98 and heard nothing about it
Your person wasn't on the Management Committee or a District Managers and above.

As one guy stated it, "Those dumbassed MOFOs will get their payback."

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That's true ... especially as a stand-alone statement.
I read all of UPS books issued to management and published publicly.
In my opinion, they are all based on positives and present things in the best light.
IMO, they are mostly motivational material to get UPS employees to perform to the best of their abilities and in the way that UPS wants them too.
I modeled my behavior after those books and publications but I never accepted them as truth.