'97 Strike Resulted in UPS Going Public

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The strike was about the Teamsters keeping control of their money cow...The pension. More full time jobs were a diversion; part timers don't vote come contract time. That being said, the contract we got after the strike (excluding the pension considerations) was far superior monetarily to the "best, final offer".
Finally, someone who admits the truth.
That's due in large part that the funds reserved for bailing out the messed up Teamster run pensions got moved to other parts of the Financial negotiations ... mainly wages.
But not part-times wages.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
and look how well ups is doing in 2016. :proud:
Management seems like a career everyone wants to get into.
Mainly, because there are few careers at UPS and very few drivers would qualify for those career jobs.
Most job openings open to drivers are the front-line operational management jobs which aren't career jobs.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Mainly, because there are few careers at UPS and very few drivers would qualify for those career jobs.
Most job openings open to drivers are the front-line operational management jobs which aren't career jobs.

Other than your post sounding elitist and self-aggrandizing, I pretty much agree. I certainly saw my share of supervisors who never made it past ORS.

35years

Gravy route
That's what they were telling us in Corporate.
They explained that UPS needed to do it now (1997) rather than latter or UPSers would be without pensions.
I remember having the discussion (with some of our union leaders in 1997) about the possibility of a strike. There was no question it was about the pension. They knew full well that if UPS gained control over all the UPSer's pensions (not just CSPF) it would break the back of the union. They knew full well that the pensions would eventually be in trouble but giving control to UPS was not going to happen.

Now... in 2016... the writing is on the wall for most of the pensions in which UPSers are currently participating. The denial of the reality of the pension demographics has finally started to wane on this forum. UPS has huge unfunded liabilities obscured by the "new" accounting practices approved in 2014. If these issues are not dealt with in the next contract I don't know how the pensions will survive.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I remember having the discussion (with some of our union leaders in 1997) about the possibility of a strike. There was no question it was about the pension. They knew full well that if UPS gained control over all the UPSer's pensions (not just CSPF) it would break the back of the union. They knew full well that the pensions would eventually be in trouble but giving control to UPS was not going to happen.

Now... in 2016... the writing is on the wall for most of the pensions in which UPSers are currently participating. The denial of the reality of the pension demographics has finally started to wane on this forum. UPS has huge unfunded liabilities obscured by the "new" accounting practices approved in 2014. If these issues are not dealt with in the next contract I don't know how the pensions will survive.
Totally agree ... there are several members on here who talk about it but most don't plan and stick their head in the sand.
I'm just glad I only get about $10 a month from the Teamster's retirement plan.

35years

Gravy route
Finally, someone who admits the truth.
That's due in large part that the funds reserved for bailing out the messed up Teamster run pensions got moved to other parts of the Financial negotiations ... mainly wages.
But not part-times wages.
But the result of UPS controlling those Billions in the pension, rather than the Teamsters, would have broken the Union. The result for Union workers would have been a complete disaster (far worse than just our pensions being in trouble).

Catatonic

Nine Lives
But the result of UPS controlling those Billions rather than the Teamsters would have broken the Union. The result for Union workers would have been a complete disaster (far worse than just our pensions being in trouble).
That is a reasonable and considerate thought.
I fully believe in Unions and their Cooperative power to negotiate wages and benefits.
It use to help non-Union workers but there seems to be no correlation anymore.

35years

Gravy route
In all honesty, as hard and miserable as the strike was for management it was the complete opposite for most union workers. The sense of solidarity among the strikers and union workers from other companies was exhilarating. The country had gone through several years of unions losing every battle (accelerated and exemplified by the air traffic controller's strike). We were were pumped up by hundreds of people honking in support, or stopping by the picket lines to stand united with us or bring us food and drink. It really was an incredible victory for all workers when the strike ended and we secured a good contract.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In all honesty, as hard and miserable as the strike was for management it was the complete opposite for most union workers. The sense of solidarity among the strikers and union workers from other companies was exhilarating. The country had gone through several years of unions losing every battle (accelerated and exemplified by the air traffic controller's strike). We were were pumped up by hundreds of people honking in support, or stopping by the picket lines to stand united with us or bring us food and drink. It really was an incredible victory for all workers when the strike ended and we secured a good contract.
I actually enjoyed getting out and delivering to be honest and in Georgia, most people don't know or care about unions.
Before the strike I had been out of the office except 12 days of the previous 14 months and in 5 different countries.
After I helped close down a UPS technology subsidiary in Seattle for a couple of months in September and October 1997, I dropped to 4 or 5 days a year out of office which lasted until I retired in 2013.
I never cared for traveling then ... now in retirement, I enjoy the hell out of it.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
The strike was mainly over pension control , and two giants collided on a crash course !!
The teamsters and the media rolled out part timers who cried about wanting full time , while big brown tried to paint a false picture to the public of how wonderful they are ! We the members were pawns in a chess match !! Most on this site were just kids when this all went down

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The strike was mainly over pension control , and two giants collided on a crash course !!
The teamsters and the media rolled out part timers who cried about wanting full time , while big brown tried to paint a false picture to the public of how wonderful they are ! We the members were pawns in a chess match !!

Most on this site were just kids when this all went down
I can't argue with that and I was just along for the ride.

I wish ... I was 43 with 25 years with UPS and my knees were already beginning to hurt me!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Totally agree ... there are several members on here who talk about it but most don't plan and stick their head in the sand.
I'm just glad I only get about $10 a month from the Teamster's retirement plan.
I don't expect a dime from the pension plan, but I will be disappointed if a worst-case scenario happens. You are correct that most people's heads are in the sand...it's almost as though the current pension numbers are a guarantee, just roll forward with inflation..