A $60,000 speeding ticket! in Europe

rickyb

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/03/07/a-60000-speeding-ticket/

In some European countries they determine the cost of speeding tickets based on income and how fast you are speeding.

Like many Nordic countries, Finland bases its speeding tickets only partly on the actual speed violation. Most of the fine is determined by the violator's income. So when businessman Reima Kuisla got stopped for doing 64 miles per hour in a 50 mph zone, authorities looked at his 2013 tax return and saw that he made 6.5 million euros, or more than $7 million.

According to the BBC, Kuisla was given a fine of 54,000 euros, or just under $60,000.

But Kuisla's ticket is cheap compared to others given in the Nordic countries, which now tie fines to income or the value of the violators' car. In 2010, a Ferrari driver in Switzerland with a history of violations and a net worth of more than $20 million got a ticket for $290,000. In Germany, fines for speeding tickets can reach as high as $16 million.

I think this is good to take more money from the rich so the government will have more money to spend on things for everyone, or so the government can cut taxes for poor and middle class. Be interesting to see what middle class and the poor pay for speeding tickets.

rod

Retired 22 years
We had a kid around here just in the past few days get caught doing 136 in a 70. His fine was only $240 bucks. I thought that sounded pretty cheap.

rickyb

We had a kid around here just in the past few days get caught doing 136 in a 70. His fine was only $240 bucks. I thought that sounded pretty cheap.

i know when i was younger i almost died or crashed a bunch of times. if i have kids, ill get them their license, but they wont be able to use my car.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Usually get jail time for speed like that. I know 136 isn't double 70, but I think the police would make an exception.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Usually get jail time for speed like that. I know 136 isn't double 70, but I think the police would make an exception.
Speaking from personal experience, if you're under 18 they'll often "arrest" you, then release you to a parent and give you a date for juvenile court. Show up and pay the fine and nothing really happens unless it adds up to enough points to have your license taken away. Drops from your record when you turn 18.
I was surprised my parents didn't just tell them to take me to jail.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When I was 19 I got clocked at 75 in a 40 then 90 in a 65. Same guy clocking me he was trying to catch up.

In my defense the wife was naked in the passenger seat and I was just trying to get home ASAP!!!!

rod

Retired 22 years
Years ago I got stopped going across Wisconsin doing 90 in a 65. I told the cop I was in a hurry to see my folks because I hadn't seen them for a long time. I told him I only had 20 bucks to my name so he followed me into the justice of the peace's office in the nearest town-fined me 12 bucks and asked if 8 bucks was enough for gas to get home. At that time it was. He sent me on my merry way. Don't count on that happening now days.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Years ago I got stopped going across Wisconsin doing 90 in a 65. I told the cop I was in a hurry to see my folks because I hadn't seen them for a long time. I told him I only had 20 bucks to my name so he followed me into the justice of the peace's office in the nearest town-fined me 12 bucks and asked if 8 bucks was enough for gas to get home. At that time it was. He sent me on my merry way. Don't count on that happening now days.
Cops are too "professional" these days. No slack.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Anybody who drives 136 MPH on a public road needs to spend about a month in jail and forfeit their car and their drivers license.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Anybody who drives 136 MPH on a public road needs to spend about a month in jail and forfeit their car and their drivers license.
I could probably drive safer at 136 mph than half the people on the road could at 65 mph with their cell phone in their hand and their head halfway up their arse.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Hear this over the police scanner , man stopped by police has a valid license but the vehicle is not registered nor insured . So , in this state , the car is towed away . A few hours later the same police dept ( different officer ) stops the same man in another vehicle also unregistered & uninsured .

rickyb

ive been saying for some time now europe has got north america beat and heres another example:

1631396162321.png

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Even if you had a few beers they would cut you some slack if you didn’t live to far away.