A BETTER solution for our negotiations

brown_trousers

We should negotiate language that eliminates those RTW scabs from our wages/benefits. And leaves them to negotiate their own wages/benefits separate from our contract.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
We should negotiate language that eliminates those RTW scabs from our wages/benefits. And leaves them to negotiate their own wages/benefits separate from our contract.

And they get booted out of any and all preferred/bid jobs in the UPS system..
But 14(b) of Taft-Hartley says otherwise.

A guy can dream, can't he?

brown_trousers

And they get booted out of any and all preferred/bid jobs in the UPS system..
But 14(b) of Taft-Hartley says otherwise.

A guy can dream, can't he?

I was under the impression that the taft-hartley only gave workers the right to employment without joining the union, I didn't know it applied to giving them the same wages also.

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
You should study up on the the NLRB before you make a ridiculous proposal like that.
One of the conditions of creation was for the non dues paying scabby coat tail riders to be treated as equal as the others that put their neck out on the line.

brown_trousers

You should study up on the the NLRB before you make a ridiculous proposal like that.
One of the conditions of creation was for the non dues paying scabby coat tail riders to be treated as equal as the others that put their neck out on the line.

Im sure there could be ways around it. There's always ways of juggling money around. That's what the business world is all about.

Like us FT drivers could take a negotiated wage of only $20/hr, along with a $12/hr "contribution" to the teamsters. Which they would then pay back to us union members as a bonus.

I'm just sayin'.... Since UPS wants concessions, it would be cool to pass those concessions off onto the RTW scabs!

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Not a bad idea. There would be the two tier wage structure many of you think UPS is shooting for. $32.50/hr and free healthcare for me and maybe $20/hr and a $90 copay left over for the scabs.
Imagine how fast the little vermin would come scurrying for Teamster membership if that dream ever happened?

Evil

Those same SCABS will bitch and moan about the company's proposal right now, but if push-came-to-shove, you better bet they would again cross the picket-line and even drag a few of their Republican buds with them. These SCABS have no shame but are the first to go to management and wine like cry babies!

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I was under the impression that the taft-hartley only gave workers the right to employment without joining the union, I didn't know it applied to giving them the same wages also.

14(b) of the Taft-Hartley act gives individual states the authority to enact right-to-work laws. RTW laws mandate that a member of the bargaining unit (in our case, any non-management person working for UPS under 'covered work' that the Teamsters bargain on behalf of) that doesn't opt-in for union membership receive any and all benefits as a rank-and-file union member would, as far as wages, working conditions, and representation (discipline, filing grievances, et cetera).

I have to file their grievances, but I sure as hell don't have to tell them which article to cite or give them the forms. I have to represent them during disciplinary action, but representation can consist of me shrugging my shoulders and scratching my ass. I also don't have any sort of legal obligation to go out of my way to make sure they're not getting screwed over by management.

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
I have to file their grievances, but I sure as hell don't have to tell them which article to cite or give them the forms. I have to represent them during disciplinary action, but representation can consist of me shrugging my shoulders and scratching my ass. I also don't have any sort of legal obligation to go out of my way to make sure they're not getting screwed over by management.
you get what you pay for