A brand new Knee!!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
A friend of mine at work, has been told he needs a knee replacement. It is starting to affect his hip joints and his doctor said, immediately, before any further damage is done.
He asked me to query you guys and gals. Has anyone ever had it done? How is it now? How long were you off work, and were you able to prove workmens comp, or did you take disability?
Whats rehab like? and how long?
I will pass along the info, or possibly I can get him to come out of the shadows....and register:peaceful:

over9five

Staff member
Seems to me they would have a hard time denying that its cause was years of climbing in and out of a package car.

Good luck to your friend!

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
My father had both of his done. He claimed he should have had it done years earlier. Rehab was a bitch, and he was back at work in 6 weeks, but he had a desk job.

oldngray

nowhere special
I knew a driver who had a knee replacement and had to fight UPS for disability. He was older and had driven a bread truck before starting at UPS about 10 years earlier so possibly had some damage before starting at UPS, but he had a handicapped sticker for his personal car in the parking lot and yet was fit enough by UPS standards to drive a package car. He finally got disability or retired when he had the other knee replaced. I don't remember which it was - disability or retirement.

raceanoncr

In MY case, note, I said MY case, I had two hips replaced. I know, not the same thing but speaking on workman's comp issue. Doc said when he took old ones out, the ball and socket were like mush. Meaning, it wasn't an injury that cause MINE. It was just yrs of withering away. It woulda been almost impossible to claim workman's.

AND, I was also feeder driver. I couldn't imagine trying to come back and to P/C. If he/she can...all the more power to em. I wouldn't be able to do that with my hips...no way.

Therapy...not so much with hips. But, in hospital, we were in same "camps" as knee and their therapy was intense and painful. Had to go to outside P/T when sent home. Me...no.

Just my three cents worth.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Doctors would prefer not to do knee replacements until you're at least 60 (in many countries, these procedures are forbidden until you reach 60, unless it's incredibly severe).

Once you have the knee replacement surgery, your working career is over - you qualify for social security disability until retirement age kicks in.

iowa boy

Doctors would prefer not to do knee replacements until you're at least 60 (in many countries, these procedures are forbidden until you reach 60, unless it's incredibly severe).

Once you have the knee replacement surgery, your working career is over - you qualify for social security disability until retirement age kicks in.

My mother had both her knees done before 65, retired at 65, went back to work at 66 and is now working full time again, (just to stay away from the hubby as they get on each others nerves too much), and her job requires her to walk for her entire 8 hour shift.

She is able to move better now than when she was 60 before she had her knees done.

ikoi62

I have 2 coworkers who each have had a knee replaced, one had it done at about 52 and was able to drive again 6 months later her retired at 55. the second guy had his done at around 54 and retired not soon after that. i guess it all depends on the person. i need to have mine done sometime soon..i don't drive anymore so i should be able to return to work. and no I'm not a supervisor.i

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We had an older driver have his replaced about five years ago, he came back to work for a few months before one of them gave out again. He had to go ahead and retire. Our next driver that is going to retire in two months is 64. He has been limping around the last couple of years and the first thing he is going to do is to get both of his knees replaced. I have been noticing the limping in our older drivers more and more, this idiotic increase in stops looks like its starting to take a toll on us older guys.

Indecisi0n

We had an older driver have his replaced about five years ago, he came back to work for a few months before one of them gave out again. He had to go ahead and retire. Our next driver that is going to retire in two months is 64. He has been limping around the last couple of years and the first thing he is going to do is to get both of his knees replaced. I have been noticing the limping in our older drivers more and more, this idiotic increase in stops looks like its starting to take a toll on us older guys.

​Older and younger guys.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
My husband had to pick me up at work one night while he was working on the other truck. He said Every guy I saw walk out of there was limping...Does not say much for our job. I think they brought the new trucks and the lower step about 10 yrs too late.