A Cake For 25 Years of Service..WOW!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A couple of days ago, one of my fellow couriers hit 25 years of service. His reward? A Costco sheet cake, a poster/plaque with a "now and then" theme, and his choice of some crap gift from the FedEx Crap Gift Catalog. That's really something to look forward to, huh?

"FedEx Cares"

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A couple of days ago, one of my fellow couriers hit 25 years of service. His reward? A Costco sheet cake, a poster/plaque with a "now and then" theme, and his choice of some crap gift from the FedEx Crap Gift Catalog. That's really something to look forward to, huh?

"FedEx Cares"

This sounds just like the UPSers until last year when the gift was taken away. The gift became really important at that point. :biting:

Maybe Freddie will take the gift away so you can get what UPSers get.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This sounds just like the UPSers until last year when the gift was taken away. The gift became really important at that point. :biting:

Maybe Freddie will take the gift away so you can get what UPSers get.

I'll take your level of pay. Fred can shove his gift and the cake.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I'll take your level of pay. Fred can shove his gift and the cake.

I am probably too old, with too great a memory....BUT.......

Certain milestones need to be recognized.......20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / and on Years of service MUST be recognized;' honored; (and at some level); rewarded.....NO company is the same as it was many years past and it is the PEOPLE that make it work and adapt to the changes and requirements that make that company evolve and succeed.
Sorry for the rant

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am probably too old, with too great a memory....BUT.......

Certain milestones need to be recognized.......20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / and on Years of service MUST be recognized;' honored; (and at some level); rewarded.....NO company is the same as it was many years past and it is the PEOPLE that make it work and adapt to the changes and requirements that make that company evolve and succeed.
Sorry for the rant

This is a rant that I wholeheartedly agree with. I received my 20 yrs of service plaque last year on Founder's Day. I don't think I would have been recognized had it not been Founder's Day. The plaque is actually very nice, dark wood with a bronze engraved inlay.

I don't think we are asking for anything outrageous--a genuine thank you given today would reap benefits for years to come.

LTFedExer

What MrFedEx is neglecting to tell you is the cake is for the employees to have in the break room. He also get a gift from the company. But, I heard from a someone that just hit 25 their pretty nice.

cosmictrucker

counting the months
As I was walking out yesterday after pulling my 11 hour shift, I noticed two driver safety awards stuffed in a trash can. It appeared the can was full of general office junk from the Feeder office closet. The appearance that someone chose to toss the awards instead of giving them to the two different drivers is strong. The names on the awards where of drivers who didn't start work until later in the day.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
As I was walking out yesterday after pulling my 11 hour shift, I noticed two driver safety awards stuffed in a trash can. It appeared the can was full of general office junk from the Feeder office closet. The appearance that someone chose to toss the awards instead of giving them to the two different drivers is strong. The names on the awards where of drivers who didn't start work until later in the day.

You should have taken a picture and pinned it to the bulletin board the next day, or just emailed it to corporate.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What MrFedEx is neglecting to tell you is the cake is for the employees to have in the break room. He also get a gift from the company. But, I heard from a someone that just hit 25 their pretty nice.

The gifts are cheap. Yes, the cake is for employees in the breakroom. 25 years should be a big deal...it isn't at FedEx.

LTFedExer

The gifts are cheap. Yes, the cake is for employees in the breakroom. 25 years should be a big deal...it isn't at FedEx.
Maybe...maybe not. You just gave 1/2 the story.....again. You made it sound like all they give is a cake and nothing else. The cake is paid from the managers pockets (at least here it is) and not the company. I'll check with my manager Monday and see what the 'cheap' gifts really are or maybe FedEx2000 knows.

vantexan

Since I was rehired almost 12 years ago, topped out employees on 40 hrs a week have grossed over $100k more than I have. I won't be accepting any awards for faithful service as they'll only remind me of the sacrifices I and many others have made so that relative few can get wealthier. I'm not asking for much, just top me out. That they would freeze our pay or give minimal raises while raising our healthcare costs every year tells me how they really feel about my years of hard work and faithful service. And don't tell me I shouldn't of quit. This is where I and thousands of others are at right now. Want to know why our economy sucks? Multiple reasons, but a major reason is large corporations are turning millions into peasants. Good luck having a vibrant economy when you hoard all the wealth for yourselves.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Since I was rehired almost 12 years ago, topped out employees on 40 hrs a week have grossed over $100k more than I have. I won't be accepting any awards for faithful service as they'll only remind me of the sacrifices I and many others have made so that relative few can get wealthier. I'm not asking for much, just top me out. That they would freeze our pay or give minimal raises while raising our healthcare costs every year tells me how they really feel about my years of hard work and faithful service. And don't tell me I shouldn't of quit. This is where I and thousands of others are at right now. Want to know why our economy sucks? Multiple reasons, but a major reason is large corporations are turning millions into peasants. Good luck having a vibrant economy when you hoard all the wealth for yourselves.

Well said.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Even better than well said!

Good point. I honestly hadn't thought much about it, but I had my 20 year last month and nobody said anything.....I'm use to it I guess. I did order something and when it came in I had to get it, open it without any recognition. Then, when I opened it, I found a card, with instructions to the manager on what to do when it came it....how to announce, a card to sign...ect....I guess that stinks. Good point, Mr. Fedex

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Good point. I honestly hadn't thought much about it, but I had my 20 year last month and nobody said anything.....I'm use to it I guess. I did order something and when it came in I had to get it, open it without any recognition. Then, when I opened it, I found a card, with instructions to the manager on what to do when it came it....how to announce, a card to sign...ect....I guess that stinks. Good point, Mr. Fedex

Yep. You mean nothing to them, and neither do the rest of us.

FedEx2000

We just had a celebration for a 25 yr and a 30 yr employee. The director was here to thank them, we order them a 25 yr banner that hangs in the warehouse when they hit that milestone, the 25 yr service awards consist of Bulova/Pulsar/Seiko watches, rings/necklaces, a telescope, luggage set, as well as a few other things.....safe driving awards are better, especially for the 5/10/15/20/25/30/35 year awards.....but I wouldn't exactly call them cheap. Also, everyone gets the 25 year framed sketch/collage of the various significant events that took place in the year you started at FedEx....most of you have probably seen them if you know anyone who has hit their 25 yrs.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We just had a celebration for a 25 yr and a 30 yr employee. The director was here to thank them, we order them a 25 yr banner that hangs in the warehouse when they hit that milestone, the 25 yr service awards consist of Bulova/Pulsar/Seiko watches, rings/necklaces, a telescope, luggage set, as well as a few other things.....safe driving awards are better, especially for the 5/10/15/20/25/30/35 year awards.....but I wouldn't exactly call them cheap. Also, everyone gets the 25 year framed sketch/collage of the various significant events that took place in the year you started at FedEx....most of you have probably seen them if you know anyone who has hit their 25 yrs.

The gifts aren't that great, and tend toward the inexpensive side of the equation. The Safe Driving tokens are much better, but still not keeping with the value of being accident-free for 25 years. Nice that your director took the time to come to the station for the event.

Here's a true story of how a large group of 25+ year employees were "honored" at a ramp location last year. They all met at a medium cost chain restaurant at a local mall, where they were restricted to just a few of the cheapest selections from the menu. Immediately after the "celebration", they were required to take an hour-long survey on the company and it's policies. Needless to say, it was a major joke. No matter what, FedEx was going to extract some measure of productivity from the event.