A couple of things to look over..

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
A couple of things…

250 an hour… wha…?

It seems that UPS management and soups are smoking something a little more powerful then their usual. The new agenda is to have each preload employee load four cars and be at 250 an hour. To me this screams to keep people moving at a peak pace throughout the year, yet I also believe its only temporary. The union doesn’t see pieces per hour as a job requirement, defiantly not as a production issue. I cant stand how they push this stuff on us even know it pretty much isn’t ( or shouldn’t ) to be allowed ( mentioned ). I don’t really mind getting extra work, since they gave me another 30 minutes on the clock for it.

Has one else noticed this in their HUB / center?

Another thing is on Monday ( since the start of peak ) the bright idea was to run the line 30 minutes with chargers working with no pre load around. This in my opinion causes problems, cages stay full all night and chances of misloads seem to go up. The main building manager here must’ve wanted to get corporate of her back since they’ve been hounding her to buy out the position a few years before retirement ( benefits, 401k and stock options apply ).

Anyone else see this happening?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
A couple of things…

250 an hour… wha…?

It seems that UPS management and soups are smoking something a little more powerful then their usual. The new agenda is to have each preload employee load four cars and be at 250 an hour. To me this screams to keep people moving at a peak pace throughout the year, yet I also believe its only temporary. The union doesn’t see pieces per hour as a job requirement, defiantly not as a production issue. I cant stand how they push this stuff on us even know it pretty much isn’t ( or shouldn’t ) to be allowed ( mentioned ). I don’t really mind getting extra work, since they gave me another 30 minutes on the clock for it.

Has one else noticed this in their HUB / center?

Another thing is on Monday ( since the start of peak ) the bright idea was to run the line 30 minutes with chargers working with no pre load around. This in my opinion causes problems, cages stay full all night and chances of misloads seem to go up. Mis-loads to the cage or mis-loading into the wrong car? Either way watch what cage you load and what car you load into. The main building manager here must’ve wanted to get corporate of her back since they’ve been hounding her to buy out the position a few years before retirement ( benefits, 401k and stock options apply ).

Anyone else see this happening?

The answer to your question is.

Now instead of waiting for work to be loaded into the cages so you can pull it, usually about 10 minutes of wasted time, now as soon as you hit the box line the work is there and you can start loading immediately.

Solidarity413

I think his sort is much like ours. There is already work in the cages from the sorts before. We have Day,Twi,Night which all have preload shifts on them filling cages. Preloaders on my shift start up to 45 minutes before the charge does. I think you know what to do ;)

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I have worked in a HUB also. I totally understand it. Maybe the cages did not have enough volume in them from twi and midnight and they just adding to the volume already there. All you can do is put it in the right car once its in the cage.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
The answer to your question is.

Now instead of waiting for work to be loaded into the cages so you can pull it, usually about 10 minutes of wasted time, now as soon as you hit the box line the work is there and you can start loading immediately.

The problem there is the weekend. Two days off and you show up to work and BAM! You need to be at a 100% right off the bat. I really dont know anyone being at a 100% on a Monday. I've said this to a full time soup and she said she was... hey ya dont do anything to begin with so I guess your right ( I was thinking that ).

Edit: I believe a slow start off should be more of the objective. Rushing loaders only adds to bad loads and missloads.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I have worked in a HUB also. I totally understand it. Maybe the cages did not have enough volume in them from twi and midnight and they just adding to the volume already there. All you can do is put it in the right car once its in the cage.

The volume here is massive. A 1000 package day for us is usually a normal day for some of us. Thus one would have to be running to get 250 pieces an hour just to make it before start time for the drivers. Plus the cages always being pull all night no matter how hard you hustle, leads to piles in the back of the car after last rev.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
The problem there is the weekend. Two days off and you show up to work and BAM! You need to be at a 100% right off the bat. I really dont know anyone being at a 100% on a Monday. I've said this to a full time soup and she said she was... hey ya dont do anything to begin with so I guess your right ( I was thinking that ).

Edit: I believe a slow start off should be more of the objective. Rushing loaders only adds to bad loads and missloads.

I do not believe it should be a slower start, but a longer sort span. Once you have a cleared the cages, cleared up any stackouts, you could then have a chance to tighten up the load. A few more minutes by the preloader would save the driver a ton of time (proven everytime the preloader has good load).

I know what your thinking, but lets face it, no one will listen to you and I as long we are worried about pph on a preload.
Another topic for another thread....

Last edited:

tarbar66

I do not believe it should be a slower start, but a longer sort span. Once you have a cleared the cages, cleared up any stackouts, you could then have a chance to tighten up the load. A few more minutes by the preloader would save the driver a ton of time (proven everytime the preloader has good load).

I know what your thinking, but lets face it, no one will listen to you and I as long we are worried about pph on a preload.
Another topic for another thread....

I agree with you 100%, PPH on the preload don't equal NDPPH.

The cost of PPH on preload is small potatoes compared to cost of drivers on road time.

A good load enables a driver to better serve the customer!

browniehound

Here is my humble opinion since we are on the subject. Slow down the preload. If it were my business I would rather over pay someone making $9.50/hour than a driver making $30/hour. Give the preload an extra 20 minutes or hire a couple of extra people.

This way, the preload will be wrapped. This,in turn, will reduce the driver AM time to under 10 minutes(rigth now I average 25 min/day). This will also reduce misloads. Also, the load quality may be stop for stop increasing all driver production.

What am I not getting here? UPS pinches pennies on the preload only to eat pounds of foolishness on the driver end.

What is the method to their collective madness?

Thanks in advance for you advice...

John19841

What am I not getting here? UPS pinches pennies on the preload only to eat pounds of foolishness on the driver end.

What is the method to their collective madness?

Thanks in advance for you advice...

You know because you're there doing the work everyday. Corporate is not. This is what happens when you make decisions based solely on reports. Corporate cannot comprehend the relationship between the preloaders and the drivers because it does not show up on their reports. It's a by product of blind cost cutting. They cannot see that by forcing more work or taking away more time from the preload that they are having a detrimental affect on the drivers.

It's a disconnect between the people making the decisions and the people doing the work. When your report shows that some preloaders load at 250 PPH and some load at 200 PPH, It is easy to make the 'genious' decision that everyone should load 250 PPH. They don't see the reality that missloads go up and load quality goes down. The closest they will ever get to reality is a "surprise" visit, which we all know are prepared for well in advance, and everything is just perfect.

How do we go about volunteering Scott Davis for that show, Undercover Boss?

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Every pre-load I've ever seen with a boxline preloads the boxline. Makes no sense to have the entire preload waiting for packages.

A buy out for the building manager - not likely. The only thing you get for leaving before retirement age is unemployment.

No doubt a good load is of value, but the intent is to get a good load AND peak efficiency.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Most people in a HUB never pre loaded before, thus have no idea what goes into it. They just expect the cars be loaded with some sort of magic. I can say I used to be 6'6'' now I'm at 6'4'' because its a high impact job.

If UPS doesnt want to learn what goes into it, I'll be sure to slow down due to the disrespect that shows me. I will take my time to do the right job while I and the driver gets paid to wait to wrap up.