A delivery? For me? What's in it?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Everyone asked me that today.... Never knew such an innocent question could be so....annoying...

Today I had an 11am commit package, residential, on a road that was 4 miles long, house #5020. Of course I go the wrong way, spin around, find a clump of mailboxes with one of them being #5020. And lo & behold, a nice lady is out at the clump of mailboxes.

Looking for #5020, says I. Oh, that is at the other end of this long road, another township, says she.

So I drive all the way into the next township, and the numbers go right down to #2 and the road ends. :angry:

Check the package. A phone number! I call, nice lady answers. Can you please give me the nearest cross street? I ask 'What's in it" asks the lady. It's 5 of 11, my center is messaging me on this package, and she won't give me a cross street, says hold on, hangs up.

I drive back to where I originally was, find a gravel drive, back in the woods, and a house marked #5020. I have like 60 seconds left. And the lady who I first asked directions from comes out, tells me it is not #5020. I point to the nice numerals on her house. Five Oh Two Oh. She looks at them as if they have appeared by magic.

Her son in his 20s comes out, says to his mom "knock it off, mom" and advises me I do have the right house. Son is disgusted - advises me his mom has not paid shipping on her UPS packages for years, that she always calls & advises they arrived after they should have.

I know I'm new, but that was a new one for me.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If don't see why we would refund shipping charges to someone like this. If it is delivered to the right address on the first attempt, UPS goes by the time and date in the DIAD. I think this lady needs a Code 4, meaning she has to sign for everything, or Post Card all her packages and make her come to the Center and get them herself. A long time ago, I had a Center Manager who would deal with "difficult" people like this.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Story doesn't make sense to me.As long as any of her packages are scanned in before the commit time,the diad will show the time of scan as the delivery time.If you scan it at 10:30 am and drive around till 2:00 pm it will still show 10:30 as the delivery time.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
Story doesn't make sense to me.As long as any of her packages are scanned in before the commit time,the diad will show the time of scan as the delivery time.If you scan it at 10:30 am and drive around till 2:00 pm it will still show 10:30 as the delivery time.

Thats a new one on me. Is this true? I thought it was when you were in Sig mode or when you complete the stop!

govols019

You smell that?
Big arrow up, big arrow down will lock it in. Just scanning a single package will not lock it in. It also locks it in after you have scanned a certain number of packages. I can't remember if it's 3 or 7.

atatbl

You have to be kidding me. This is the most upsetting thing I have read here. Unbelievable, if it was not from a member I knew was legit, I would laugh it off.

Last edited:

bellesotico

BOXstar
BBAG- OOooh that was evil! LOL..wow! I can't say that I've run into any that bad as of late...thankfully!

You have more patience than me though. I would have sheeted that up as NSN and dealt with it later. :)
No time for wild goose chases :)

dillweed

NSN what a goofball :biting:

Back at the center I'd have let loose the rant of all rants.

At home I'd have let loose another rant on poor spouse.

Next day I'd be laughing about it with co-workers and plotting revenges that I'd never end up doing.

WyoBrown

Another trick that used to work to avoid getting a late is to override the address. Sadly, that no longer works. Does anyone know of any other tricks to avoid a late in the case of an emergency like BBAG posted? I understand the importance of timely delivery but some days, our super powers just dont kick in.

outamyway

Thats a new one on me. Is this true?

Yes but you can be fired for dishonesty. They have GPS and plenty of reports to look at. If the lady calls and knows the exact delivery time but it doesn't match UPS records they will most likely investigate and you could be terminated.

outamyway

Big arrow up, big arrow down will lock it in. Just scanning a single package will not lock it in. It also locks it in after you have scanned a certain number of packages. I can't remember if it's 3 or 7.

Maybe if you're using EDD or your center has done something different in the boards. I've done it a few times on Saturdays and one package was enough. I haven't done it in a while nor will I ever again.

The hounds are loose here, they are out for blood.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
I don't know ANY "tricks" to make it look like I delivered on time when I didn't. I'm also killing myself trying to be full time driver, so I don't want to know any tricks, either.

I had 5 other EAM stops yesterday (Saturday), with close to 80 miles in by 11:00am. I was not going to feel that awful if I missed one.

The Center was messaging me that THE LADY WAS CALLING saying her package wasn't there yet, and had better be on time!

I always assumed that the delivery counted when you hit the final "delivered" button. I have no way of knowing, just assumed it. I would also guess that, marking a package delivered, puts both a time stamp AND a gps location on the same stamp. So marking a package delivered to 123 Main Street, Philadelphia, when the time stamp says the truck was in, say, Virginia at the time, would probably raise some eyebrows.

In my VERY LIMITED experience thus far at UPS, I have found that bringing something like this to the attention of those above me is considered not important in the big picture of things. It is on-par with when I unload during the week. So many times there is a big box that I can barely manage, obviously weighs a bunch, and the label says "10 lbs". I used to bring this to the attention of my sups; After hearing "just send it thru" so many times, I no longer mention them.