A delivery? For me? What's in it?

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Thats a new one on me. Is this true? I thought it was when you were in Sig mode or when you complete the stop!

As far as I know once the pkg is showing in the delivery screen that time of scan is locked in.As for the other posts about dishonesty,the original post was about a lady lying and sending the driver on a wild goose chase just so her pkg would be late.If the driver pulles up to the correct address,scanned pkg,met lady and then was sent on the goose chase as far as I am concerned she can complain all she wants about when the pkg was actually delivered.If the driver is questioned about the discrepincy in times just tell the truth.It's not a "trick" or being dishonest.

bellesotico

BOXstar
I don't know ANY "tricks" to make it look like I delivered on time when I didn't. I'm also killing myself trying to be full time driver, so I don't want to know any tricks, either.

I had 5 other EAM stops yesterday (Saturday), with close to 80 miles in by 11:00am. I was not going to feel that awful if I missed one.

The Center was messaging me that THE LADY WAS CALLING saying her package wasn't there yet, and had better be on time!

I always assumed that the delivery counted when you hit the final "delivered" button. I have no way of knowing, just assumed it. I would also guess that, marking a package delivered, puts both a time stamp AND a gps location on the same stamp. So marking a package delivered to 123 Main Street, Philadelphia, when the time stamp says the truck was in, say, Virginia at the time, would probably raise some eyebrows.

In my VERY LIMITED experience thus far at UPS, I have found that bringing something like this to the attention of those above me is considered not important in the big picture of things. It is on-par with when I unload during the week. So many times there is a big box that I can barely manage, obviously weighs a bunch, and the label says "10 lbs". I used to bring this to the attention of my sups; After hearing "just send it thru" so many times, I no longer mention them.

Our EAM commit time is 9 am..and everything else needs to be off by noon..how did you get so cut short..but so lax on EAMS?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
I'm sure it has to do with it being a very rural area.

That is correct - for the deliveries yesterday, I was doing 2 towns, 10-15 miles from center to center.

Saturdays, we don't get our packages in the truck till close to 9am

....If the driver pulles up to the correct address,scanned pkg,met lady and then was sent on the goose chase as far as I am concerned she can complain all she wants about when the pkg was actually delivered.If the driver is questioned about the discrepincy in times just tell the truth.It's not a "trick" or being dishonest.

I made the original mistake, I guess. It was just timing; I was about to pull into a confusing cluster of homes (the correct cluster it turns out) and a "nice" lady advised me I was in the wrong area. I never would have guessed she was sending me astray - never crossed my mind - and I had not scanned the package yet.

browniehound

Don't worry about the GPS. If its 1029 and you have one air stop left, scan it and press big-arrow down. Now you don't have to worry how long it will take to get the signature. I've never heard of a driver getting terminated for this.

Also, the GPS system in not 100% accurate. I will be standing at the correct address and scan the package and it will still turn red and start beeping like crazy. Besides, they can't fire you based on information obtained from any technological device, its in the contract.

bellesotico

BOXstar
That is correct - for the deliveries yesterday, I was doing 2 towns, 10-15 miles from center to center.

Saturdays, we don't get our packages in the truck till close to 9am

Ahh ok. That makes sense. I have heard that about other centers as well. We get our air at like 7:15.

I was just wondering if commit times were more relaxed in certain areas or did it make a difference how late air came. Question answered :)

Sorry if that came off sounding funny..:dissapointed: I seriously was curious..Everything is just so..you know...backwards..lol :)

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
You will find that there are different commit times all over the country.It depends on the geography of each area.Also saturday times are later due to the fact there are only a handful of drivers delivering on saturday.

bellesotico

BOXstar
You will find that there are different commit times all over the country.It depends on the geography of each area.Also saturday times are later due to the fact there are only a handful of drivers delivering on saturday.

Yeah..thats what I kind of figured...but I had to ask of course. It's been slow for us lately so we haven't had that many drivers out. I only took out 15 stops..and I usually have double that.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Yeah..thats what I kind of figured...but I had to ask of course. It's been slow for us lately so we haven't had that many drivers out. I only took out 15 stops..and I usually have double that.

Same here - To the point where I wonder why we don't take out one of the 15-20 minivans we have at our center to save money, time, etc..

outamyway

Don't worry about the GPS. If its 1029 and you have one air stop left, scan it and press big-arrow down. Now you don't have to worry how long it will take to get the signature. I've never heard of a driver getting terminated for this.

Since the beggining of the year at least three drivers here have. Another was threatend just for speculation of scanning a package in before he reached the stop. They were only looking at the delivery records and never looked at the GPS or even asked what the story was.

It just depends on your facility and strength of the union there.

Just to note:

Drivers here USED to do it all the time.

browndevil

Also, the GPS system in not 100% accurate. I will be standing at the correct address and scan the package and it will still turn red and start beeping like crazy. Besides, they can't fire you based on information obtained from any technological device, its in the contract.
Yes and keep in mind GPS is used for informational purposes only.

Mike Hawk

Article 6

Section 4
(8) No employee shall be discharged on a first offense if such discharge is based solely upon
information received from GPS or any successor system unless he/she engages in dishonesty
(defined for the purposes of this paragraph as any act or omission by an employee where he/she
intends to defraud the Company). The degree of discipline dealing with off-area offenses shall not
be changed because of the use of GPS.

Notice how it says solely, if they compare delivery records to GPS, well that’s not solely GPS anymore.

Y

yup!

Notice how it says solely, if they compare delivery records to GPS, well that’s not solely GPS anymore.

And notice how it says solely on the first offense. Second offense, guess what, now your trying to get your job back. And if they call you in for some 1st offense and you are dishonest, your trying to get your job back. You guys like LOST (dahrma project guy, Man that show drives me nuts.) better start thinking differently or they will have a Lost Job.

This is new language in the new wonderful contract we all ratifed.

satellitedriver

Personally, I would ask for the GPS info of my day.
Hoist them on their own petard.
Deliver late to the correct address, get pulled into the office.
Use the GPS info to show you were at the correct location before commit while getting directions from a friendly lady.
Funny that was the same location that a customer has filed several claims.
Electronic info can be used both ways,
as a tool or a defensive weapon.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
So, if you followed all procedures, methods and you did everything by the book(I.E No Speeding), and the package is still late, is this the drivers fault?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
GPS cannot be used solely for discipline for the first offense, but don't think for a minute they won't use it to support disciplinary action, especially if the behavior in question is fraudulent in nature.

Certainly, my guess would be that GPS would be a good tip-off to investigate clues that could be found elsewhere?

satellitedriver

So, if you followed all procedures, methods and you did everything by the book(I.E No Speeding), and the package is still late, is this the drivers fault?
Good point.
The answer is yes, by management thinking.
The correct address was on the pkg. The driver should know his area.
Guilty as charged.