A Dose of Reality

This is the 5th peak season I've been retired. Enjoy BC to keep in touch. Seems people just bitch and complain but that's the nature of the beast when you work at UPS...today I had a reality check. Today as I was driving into a shopping center to pick up that last minute gift, I saw a woman holding up a sign at the entrance "WILL WORK FOR FOOD". Maybe we should all just be thankful for what we have! Merry Christmas.

JonFrum

This country has variety of welfare programs at the federal, state, and local level, including one called Food Stamps, as well as numerous private charities and soup kitchens. Usually the "will work for food" man or woman is up to something. Why not swing by tomorrow, if she's still working the same spot, quiz her, and maybe call her bluff.

Brown Rocket

One summer morning while I was laid off I once held up a peice of cardboard in the middle of our center that had "Will drive for food" written on it. Got more offers than ever before.

This is the 5th peak season I've been retired. Enjoy BC to keep in touch. Seems people just bitch and complain but that's the nature of the beast when you work at UPS...today I had a reality check. Today as I was driving into a shopping center to pick up that last minute gift, I saw a woman holding up a sign at the entrance "WILL WORK FOR FOOD". Maybe we should all just be thankful for what we have! Merry Christmas.
I can't disagree that we all should be thankful for what we have, I know I am. However, does having all that mean we should also be thankful for the bitter pills we have to swallow also?

This country has variety of welfare programs at the federal, state, and local level, including one called Food Stamps, as well as numerous private charities and soup kitchens. Usually the "will work for food" man or woman is up to something. Why not swing by tomorrow, if she's still working the same spot, quiz her, and maybe call her bluff.
Until recently our city had no package alcohol sales in the city but one country precinct was "wet", a few yards past the city limit sign was a "strip" of package stores that served the area's booze needs for decades. Frequently there would be a one legged man on crutches standing at the intersect with a sign that read, "Disabled Vet, need help". I had heard (reliability of source unknown) cleared around 2 grand on a good weekend. One day I was driving by a closed service station across the road from his usual corner and observed him getting out of a new Lexus and kissing his (presumably) wife goodbye for the day. A couple of days later, I saw him getting back in the same car to leave. Ya never know if you are helping someone eat or make the car payment.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Just because people complain and vent doesn't mean they don't appreciate what they have. This site is to share info and stories about how We as UPSers are equals and fight the same battles daily eventhough we are all miles apart.

Its been a tough year for most at UPS and losing sight of real life is a view held in the minority here at BC.

over9five

Staff member
Until recently our city had no package alcohol sales in the city but one country precinct was "wet", a few yards past the city limit sign was a "strip" of package stores that served the area's booze needs for decades. Frequently there would be a one legged man on crutches standing at the intersect with a sign that read, "Disabled Vet, need help". I had heard (reliability of source unknown) cleared around 2 grand on a good weekend. One day I was driving by a closed service station across the road from his usual corner and observed him getting out of a new Lexus and kissing his (presumably) wife goodbye for the day. A couple of days later, I saw him getting back in the same car to leave. Ya never know if you are helping someone eat or make the car payment.

I've heard those stories too. At the exit (Rte 7?) to get to Vermont Teddy Bear last week, there was an old guy with a sign "Anything will help". God forgive my suspicious mind, but that's what I was thinking.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Just because people complain and vent doesn't mean they don't appreciate what they have. This site is to share info and stories about how We as UPSers are equals and fight the same battles daily eventhough we are all miles apart.

Its been a tough year for most at UPS and losing sight of real life is a view held in the minority here at BC.
Thank you Heff! It's been tougher on some more so. And most of us will never know just how tough it has been. Keep you chin up. It will get easier every day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've heard those stories too. At the exit (Rte 7?) to get to Vermont Teddy Bear last week, there was an old guy with a sign "Anything will help". God forgive my suspicious mind, but that's what I was thinking.

Ovah, Rte 7 becomes Shelburne Rd when you get in to Burlington. You guys come that far up? If you were to go just a bit further (Grand Isle) and then take the ferry you would be in my neck of the woods (Plattsburgh).

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
In our city, there is a van that drops off three to four people who then choose the busiest street corners. I think these "homeless vets", etc...have something going on to maximize the time it takes to solicit drivers.

One time during my 10 min break I watched as car after car gave this woman holding a "stranded" sign, money like it was a toll booth. I also noticed women are more likely to give than men.

over9five

Staff member
Ovah, Rte 7 becomes Shelburne Rd when you get in to Burlington. You guys come that far up? If you were to go just a bit further (Grand Isle) and then take the ferry you would be in my neck of the woods (Plattsburgh).

Ha, yup I think that's as close as I've been! I think it was a little over 3 1/2 hours.

One time during my 10 min break I watched as car after car gave this woman holding a "stranded" sign, money like it was a toll booth. I also noticed women are more likely to give than men.

I always love the stats that go with the polls!

UPSGUY72

maybe some of you have heard this story before but I'll tell it for those of you who have not.

There was this homeless guy who hung out around the capital in Washington, DC. He would pan handle all summer long but in the winter he would just diappear and all the congressman and senators would wonder where he would go. Well come to find out the guy would go to florida and live in one of he many condo that he owned for the winter and than return to Wachington, DC in the spring to panhandle again. All his hard work of begging for money made him a wealthy man.