A Few Facts About Fred You Should Know

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Some of this is old information, but some of it is new, and I think some of the new members need to know a bit more about the character of our Fearless Leader Fred S. Here are a few highlights:

1. Indicted in 1975 for forging the signatures of his sisters in order to raid the family trust fund. Smith was attempting to pay back a $2M bank loan. Found not guilty.

2. Same day, 1-31-75. Kills 54 year-old pedestrian in Memphis in hit and run accident. Witnessed by off-duty police officer. Charges dismissed.

3. First summer back in Memphis from Yale, Smith loses control of his car and front seat passenger is killed. Cause of accident never determined.

4. ATA Airlines forced out of business in 2008 when Fred S terminates 3-year contract. ATA wins $66M suit in 2010 after FedEx found to have reneged on valid contract for military cargo transport.

5. Insider trading of stock.

And there is more. Just a taste of who we have to deal with and the type of character Fred really is. One has to wonder about how Fred has escaped the long arm of the law on several occasions and if substantial money "might" have changed hands on the hit and run and forgery indictments.

We love you Fred.

vantexan

Some of this is old information, but some of it is new, and I think some of the new members need to know a bit more about the character of our Fearless Leader Fred S. Here are a few highlights:

1. Indicted in 1975 for forging the signatures of his sisters in order to raid the family trust fund. Smith was attempting to pay back a $2M bank loan. Found not guilty.

2. Same day, 1-31-75. Kills 54 year-old pedestrian in Memphis in hit and run accident. Witnessed by off-duty police officer. Charges dismissed.

3. First summer back in Memphis from Yale, Smith loses control of his car and front seat passenger is killed. Cause of accident never determined.

4. ATA Airlines forced out of business in 2008 when Fred S terminates 3-year contract. ATA wins $66M suit in 2010 after FedEx found to have reneged on valid contract for military cargo transport.

5. Insider trading of stock.

And there is more. Just a taste of who we have to deal with and the type of character Fred really is. One has to wonder about how Fred has escaped the long arm of the law on several occasions and if substantial money "might" have changed hands on the hit and run and forgery indictments.

We love you Fred.

Did he ever pay his sisters back?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't know of any UPSer who would invest the time and energy that you have by compiling a similar list for Scott Davis, Jim Kelly or Oz Nelson.

Just sayin'.

whenIgetthere

I work with someone who told me this week that his son had done a school report on Smith recently. I asked him if his son had included any of these facts (as well as others) in the report. He replied, after asking me how I knew about them, he nor his son had ever heard of these incidents.

vantexan

I don't know of any UPSer who would invest the time and energy that you have by compiling a similar list for Scott Davis, Jim Kelly or Oz Nelson.

Just sayin'.

I just looked up Smith's bio on Wikipedia, it's all there. I suspect the death resulting from the rollover was due to a bunch of college kids drinking, he was home after his freshman year. The death of the hit-and-run victim happened on the day he was indicted, most likely due to him being really upset and not paying attention. He also, unlike many fellow rich kids, volunteered to join the Marines, serving in Vietnam. Another interesting fact is he was president of the exclusive Skull-and-Bones secret society while at Yale, and good friends with George W. Bush and John Kerry while there. I doubt seriously that he's happy about the tragic mistakes he made as a young man, seems odd to point them out as proof of his bad character. As a young man I got way over my head in debt, and had to declare bankruptcy. Like most people I learned from my mistakes and moved on. Yes, a couple of people died in his case, but you can't change that. Let it go.

!Retired!

4. ATA Airlines forced out of business in 2008 when Fred S terminates 3-year contract. ATA wins $66M suit in 2010 after FedEx found to have reneged on valid contract for military cargo transport. That jury verdict was overturned in appeals.

5. Insider trading of stock. You have proof?

So exactly what has he done wrong?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So exactly what has he done wrong?

The obvious implication is that he paid his way out of trouble in several instances. Doesn't it seem strange to you that he could have been accused so many times and never have been guilty? There's zero doubt about the hit and run. How do you hit a human being and not even know it...unless you're drunk.

I'll bet both the off-duty officer and the dead pedestrian's family were paid handsomely. I didn't see where the ATA verdict was overturned, but there was mention of an escape clause written into the contract in fine print during the initial trial. The jury convicted, but the court over-ruled, if I am to believe your statement. FedEx is famous for attempting to get changes of venue, which translates out as moving a case to a conservative judge who will see things Fred's way.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I just looked up Smith's bio on Wikipedia, it's all there. I suspect the death resulting from the rollover was due to a bunch of college kids drinking, he was home after his freshman year. The death of the hit-and-run victim happened on the day he was indicted, most likely due to him being really upset and not paying attention. He also, unlike many fellow rich kids, volunteered to join the Marines, serving in Vietnam. Another interesting fact is he was president of the exclusive Skull-and-Bones secret society while at Yale, and good friends with George W. Bush and John Kerry while there. I doubt seriously that he's happy about the tragic mistakes he made as a young man, seems odd to point them out as proof of his bad character. As a young man I got way over my head in debt, and had to declare bankruptcy. Like most people I learned from my mistakes and moved on. Yes, a couple of people died in his case, but you can't change that. Let it go.

I used the examples because I think they point directly at Smith's true character. Being wealthy has helped him avoid spending time in jail or being held accountable for his actions. Do you really think you can run a person over and not know it? To me, it shows how a rich kid gets extra breaks, isn't held to the same standards as the rest of us, and a willingness to break the rules (and the law) to make even more money.

Memphis, a nothing town with nothing going for it, and then the local business tycoon who can put Memphis on the map runs over a black man in the South. That means he walks. That's wrong...if it happened.

I guess the overall point is that Fred is not a good guy, and what he's doing to us now is completely in character for him.

vantexan

I used the examples because I think they point directly at Smith's true character. Being wealthy has helped him avoid spending time in jail or being held accountable for his actions. Do you really think you can run a person over and not know it? To me, it shows how a rich kid gets extra breaks, isn't held to the same standards as the rest of us, and a willingness to break the rules (and the law) to make even more money.

Memphis, a nothing town with nothing going for it, and then the local business tycoon who can put Memphis on the map runs over a black man in the South. That means he walks. That's wrong...if it happened.

I guess the overall point is that Fred is not a good guy, and what he's doing to us now is completely in character for him.

There's more to Memphis than that, and FedEx was nothing at that point. The son of a local trucking firm owner would have had as much pull in Memphis in '75. I don't know the particulars of the hit-and-run, but highly unlikely he did it on purpose and very possibly didn't realize he hit someone, or panicked after doing it and ran off. Since it happened on the day of his indictment I'd guess that he was distracted, may have been under the influence for all I know. What I read about his college days was he was an ambitious young man with a vision. His education at Yale, his military experience, his family's wealth gave him connections that allowed him to get FedEx off the ground. Somewhere along the way his vision turned into a major money machine for him and that's become the focus of his life. And we are seen as a means to that end.

!Retired!

The obvious implication is that he paid his way out of trouble in several instances. Doesn't it seem strange to you that he could have been accused so many times and never have been guilty?
I'm not saying he's an angel. Merely pointing out the facts you in stated in your own post.
if I am to believe your statement. FedEx is famous for attempting to get changes of venue, which translates out as moving a case to a conservative judge who will see things Fred's way.
As you have said many times, just google it.
FedEx wins reversal of jury's $66M award to ATA | 2011-12-27 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

FedEx wins reversal of jury's $66M award to ATA | The Indiana Lawyer

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm not saying he's an angel. Merely pointing out the facts you in stated in your own post.

As you have said many times, just google it.
FedEx wins reversal of jury's $66M award to ATA | 2011-12-27 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

FedEx wins reversal of jury's $66M award to ATA | The Indiana Lawyer

You are correct. FedEx appealed it twice, losing the first time. One also has to wonder if Smith was just able to out-lawyer the opposition, with basically unlimited legal funds at his disposal.

Here's the deal. Smith operates at the edges of the law, and always has. If you have worked for him long enough, you eventually see through the PR veil and realize Smith is a corporate criminal. It really bothers me that just because someone has the money, they get to have our political system and laws work to their advantage most of the time. Smith has been masterful at building political power far beyond where any private citizen should be allowed to go. He runs politicians...because he owns them.

To me at least, his personal conduct parallels his business conduct....frequently in trouble, but generally able to escape because he has money, connections, and power.

Just like the rest of us.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
He was found to be not guilty of anything. That's what he did wrong.

Let's see. I made it through all my life without killing anyone in a car accident, running anyone over, or being accused by my sisters of forging their signatures so I could raid their inheritance. Even if Fred was cleared, do you think that maybe, just maybe, somebody got a few bucks to keep their mouth shut?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Let's see. I made it through all my life without killing anyone in a car accident, running anyone over, or being accused by my sisters of forging their signatures so I could raid their inheritance. Even if Fred was cleared, do you think that maybe, just maybe, somebody got a few bucks to keep their mouth shut?

It's possible that he paid someone off. Now, tell us who and how much. Do you have actual knowledge of anything or is this just your personal hypothesis based on your personal dislike of a person?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's possible that he paid someone off. Now, tell us who and how much. Do you have actual knowledge of anything or is this just your personal hypothesis based on your personal dislike of a person?

Just being logical. Let's see....Fred gets indicted for forging his sister's signatures on 1-31-75. At midnight, he hits and kills a 54 year-old pedestrian with his car, yet keeps on driving. "Luckily", the event is witnessed by an off-duty police officer. If I were Lt. Columbo. I'd probably check the bars to see of Fred had been drinking. Then, I'd check the bank account of the police officer to see if his testimony was coerced. Since it was hit and run, did Fred get caught the next morning (time to get sober) or just after the accident? Inquiring minds want to know.

While we're at it, what about the car accident when Fred was a Yale freshman? "No determination" for the cause. Could it have been that someone "forgot" to adminster a breath or blood test because Fred was the son of a big shot? 2 people dead, and none of it is Fred's fault?

My guess is that all of this has been cleansed from the records.

vantexan

Just being logical. Let's see....Fred gets indicted for forging his sister's signatures on 1-31-75. At midnight, he hits and kills a 54 year-old pedestrian with his car, yet keeps on driving. "Luckily", the event is witnessed by an off-duty police officer. If I were Lt. Columbo. I'd probably check the bars to see of Fred had been drinking. Then, I'd check the bank account of the police officer to see if his testimony was coerced. Since it was hit and run, did Fred get caught the next morning (time to get sober) or just after the accident? Inquiring minds want to know.

While we're at it, what about the car accident when Fred was a Yale freshman? "No determination" for the cause. Could it have been that someone "forgot" to adminster a breath or blood test because Fred was the son of a big shot? 2 people dead, and none of it is Fred's fault?

My guess is that all of this has been cleansed from the records.

Fred's dad died when he was young.

Goldilocks

The fact is that if you have money you can cover up anything or get pardoned. What about Chappaquiddick Island, Senator Edward "Ted" Kennedy?