A fresh start

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
You all are comparing oranges to apples.

The cars mentioned that are driven in Europe would never pass safety testing here in the states. And all the other Gooberment regulations.

So as in many of the problems the gooberment is trying to solve, they have actually been the ones to cause said problems.

Nothing like causing a mess, then offering to be the only solution for said mess.

d

Floridacargocat

The issue is not passing safety tests (they do pass). The issue is, that these european manufacturers have to pass EPA/California emission certifications tests; they are not spending the money for it.
Examples. BMW 730 in diesel version is up to snuff in Europe, but has no appeal in the US. Drove a BMW 118cdi (turbodiesel) cabriolet during my last vacation in Europe (courtesy of an upgrade fom Sixt). Not offered in the USA, only the gasoline powered versions of the BMW 1 class. Speeds of > 100 mph were absolutely no problem for this 1.8 l turbo diesel.
Golf TDI's, Porsche Cayenne TDI, Audi A4. A6, A8 TDI, Mercedes TDI's, Ford, GM Opel and whoever (cars we can only dream of here in the USA), they are suitably certified for driving on the high-speed autobahns, but their engines are not paper-wise certified to comply with California emission tests (even if they would, the companies do not submit them). Speeds on German autobahns are in excess of the US 65 mph or slightly higher. If you drive at 65 mph, you will be in the slow lane and will be considered a "why is he/she driving that slow?" Significant speed limits do exist in Switzerland, France and some other Central European countries.
Whenever I arrive in Frankfurt and pick up my rental, and get on the Autobahn just south of the Frankfurter Kreuz, I have to control myself when stepping on the accelerator. Cruising along at an average speed of 140 km/h (= ~ 85 mph) is so comforting, and there is no problem accelerating to 160 or 180 km/h. You will get used to it. Yes, there are speed limits on the autobahns too, and you have to comply, but then you can get back to your normal cruising speed. The problem is when you come back to the USA.
Fuel consumption of these little beasts: they are in the >40 mpg class. New targets are set for 50 mpg or even higher by all the major European car manufacturers.
Regrettably they cannot be imported, as they do not have the proper paperwork.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You all are comparing oranges to apples.

The cars mentioned that are driven in Europe would never pass safety testing here in the states. And all the other Gooberment regulations.

So as in many of the problems the gooberment is trying to solve, they have actually been the ones to cause said problems.

Nothing like causing a mess, then offering to be the only solution for said mess.

d

Actually, the cars would have no problem at all passing safety tests; the Germans pretty much wrote the book on building cars that will stand up to 100MPH autobahn crashes.

The problem is the EPA, which deems an 80MPG turbodiesel VW Lupo to be too "polluting" while giving a 7MPG Hummer a free pass.

Our emissions laws are skewed and biased towards large, gasoline powered engines. Small, hyper-efficient diesel engines of the type commonly seen in European cars are not able to meet overly strict US pollution regs, yet the large diesel and gasoline engines used in 3/4 ton trucks and SUV's are conveniently exempt from such laws.

I have often felt the oil industry has a hand in this. They do not want Americans to have access to the same types of super-efficient vehicles that are available in Europe.

klein

Für Meno :)
Actually, the cars would have no problem at all passing safety tests; the Germans pretty much wrote the book on building cars that will stand up to 100MPH autobahn crashes.

The problem is the EPA, which deems an 80MPG turbodiesel VW Lupo to be too "polluting" while giving a 7MPG Hummer a free pass.

Our emissions laws are skewed and biased towards large, gasoline powered engines. Small, hyper-efficient diesel engines of the type commonly seen in European cars are not able to meet overly strict US pollution regs, yet the large diesel and gasoline engines used in 3/4 ton trucks and SUV's are conveniently exempt from such laws.

I have often felt the oil industry has a hand in this. They do not want Americans to have access to the same types of super-efficient vehicles that are available in Europe.

Totally agree.
But what can you do ?
Americans think they have the best cars.
You won't see a Chysler SUV or a Ford pickup truck in Europe.

Thats the mean reason they are going belly under.

By the way : Opel is now Canadain owned. And I'm very proud of that.
So, is Vauxham from the UK.

But, I always loved opel.

satellitedriver

H2o2 technoligy. Been around for decades...
Just the tank would be soo huge.

And plain water comes out of the exhaust.
They actually made a few models.

One day, maybe..
Yes, the technology is old. The secret is in the electrolyte added to the H20 that aids the frac process.
The stored energy in one gallon of water is tremendous.
This is not total separation of Hydrogen and Oxygen, the fuel is actually fluid (water) with bubbles of hydrogen and oxygen. A test truck is running and the power increase over gas is amazing.
Maybe just a pipe (tailpipe) dream, but what the heck.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Welcome back,
Jamie!
Glad that you are settling in. You live in a beautiful part of England.
(Most of it is)
I well remember the area. A59 from Shrewsbury down to Ludlow. I only did a drive by thru the area on the way to Bristol, but I do remember having a great lamb lunch in a Ludlow Pub.
I thought you were going to do historical restoration work with your father?
That sounded like the kind of work that I would like to do.
I hope that your family has found peace, after all the travails.
If we ever meet, I promise not to kick you in the head, only if, you promise not to flush me down the Loo. :funny:
Take care,
and remember to drive on the wrong side of the road.
Steve

Hey Steve!
buisness has been really slow for my Dad the last few months So I had to look elsewhere which worked out well because I really enjoy my new Job. I will be helping him out (weekends) when some work comes in though for a bit of extra pocket money.
You have my word I would never flush you, instead I would more than likely buy you a couple of pints at one of the Local pubs. We live about 15 mins away from Ludlow so you were very close by us. Its a shame you didnt have a little more time in Ludlow, there is a beautiful old Castle with lots of history surrounding it and Shrewsbury is the birthplace of Charles Darwin and another historic town. I think you probably took the A49 which is the main route south from Shrewsbury to Herefordshire which is a lovely drive through Church Stretton the Long Mynd. Did you drive over thats Huge Green Bridge that crosses the Bristol Channel (I think its the Bristol Channel) It gets really windy on that bridge !
The wife and Kids are doing really well thanks and are adjusting well to country living.
If you ever come this way again you must call me I would love to show you around
Love jamie

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I just tried to give him a call.... guess he's still sleeping.
Didn't think he would have moved over soo fast...

But, good for him.
Next time UK Guy.

We are 8 hours ahead over here, the best time to catch me is between 530 and 10pm weekdays and anytime weekends.:happy2: