A little confused about back pay

MNUPSER

My hire date at UPS is 8/1/11. July of 2013 I was making $10/hr. Shortly after 8/1/2013, the *start* date of the new union contract my pay was increased to $10.50/hr. Now that the contract has officially been passed and put into effect my last paycheck showed an increase of pay to $11/hr which is only a fifty cent pay increase when according to the contract it is supposed to be a seventy cent increase. Originally I had thought that the fifty cents I got back in August was part of the contract with the increase in new hire starting wages (Seniority plus 1 year) however my union steward says that any pay increase I had received after 8/1/2013 has nothing to do with the new contract. So I guess my questions are these: 1. Am I still going to be receiving the seventy cent pay increase? 2. Is the increase in pay for employees still in progression ALSO going to be back paid to 8/1/2013?

upschuck

The way I see it is this way, you actually get a dollar raise from July 31, to Aug 1. You will be receiving 50 cents/hr retro pay.

MNUPSER

I am so confused....why would i only be getting retro on fifty cents an hour if the annual raise (which I haven't gotten yet) is supposed to be seventy cents? Also, I don't really understand how progression really works. In fact, having worked at UPS for almost three years now the first time I heard that term was when I read the contract. It was never mentioned at my orientation and it hadn't been mentioned to me before.

upschuck

Because you already got 50¢ of that 70¢ raise Aug 1 because of old progression yearly raise. Check your check stubs to be sure. Since the new progression has a higher pay than the 70¢ is why it went up another 50¢ instead of 20¢.

Quigley

My hire date at UPS is 8/1/11. July of 2013 I was making $10/hr. Shortly after 8/1/2013, the *start* date of the new union contract my pay was increased to $10.50/hr. Now that the contract has officially been passed and put into effect my last paycheck showed an increase of pay to $11/hr which is only a fifty cent pay increase when according to the contract it is supposed to be a seventy cent increase. Originally I had thought that the fifty cents I got back in August was part of the contract with the increase in new hire starting wages (Seniority plus 1 year) however my union steward says that any pay increase I had received after 8/1/2013 has nothing to do with the new contract. So I guess my questions are these: 1. Am I still going to be receiving the seventy cent pay increase? 2. Is the increase in pay for employees still in progression ALSO going to be back paid to 8/1/2013?
Ok let me try to explain this to you.
Aug 1 you should have gotten the .70 So $10.50+.70=$11.20 The new rate after 1 year is $11.50 Since you cant make any less then the new rate your rate now should be $11.50

upschuck

Aug 1 you should have gotten the .70 So $10.50+.70=$11.20 The new rate after 1 year is $11.50 Since you cant make any less then the new rate your rate now should be $11.50
Seniority plus 2 years is $11, not $11.50.

Quigley

Please read the contract:

Part-time employees still in progression on August 1, 2008 13 shall

receive the above contractual increases and will be paid no less
than what they are entitled to in accordance with the wage schedules
in Article 22, Section 5 (b) below.
Start $11.00 $10.00
Seniority plus one (1) year $11.50 $10.50
Seniority plus two (2) years $12.00 $11.00
Seniority plus three (3) years $13.00 $12.00
Seniority plus four (4) years $13.50 $12.50

upschuck

Please read the contract:

Part-time employees still in progression on August 1, 2008 13 shall

receive the above contractual increases and will be paid no less
than what they are entitled to in accordance with the wage schedules
in Article 22, Section 5 (b) below.
Start $11.00 $10.00
Seniority plus one (1) year $11.50 $10.50
Seniority plus two (2) years $12.00 $11.00
Seniority plus three (3) years $13.00 $12.00
Seniority plus four (4) years $13.50 $12.50
And it says Senoirity plus two years is $11.00 is what I read and comprehend. What do you read?

Quigley

Did you not read my post? Let me try again. Anybody who is in progression prior to Aug1 will get a .70 raise. Also they CAN NOT make any less then the new rate. 1 year seniority is $11.50. 2 Year is $12.00 Please go back and read my post again it came right out of the new contract

upschuck

Did you not read my post? Let me try again. Anybody who is in progression prior to Aug1 will get a .70 raise. Also they CAN NOT make any less then the new rate. 1 year seniority is $11.50. 2 Year is $12.00 Please go back and read my post again it came right out of the new contract
That is for a skilled position..most positions are not a skilled position, and OP is evidently not in a skilled position.

Quigley

That is for a skilled position..most positions are not a skilled position, and OP is evidently not in a skilled position.
Then his starting pay is wrong or he is confused about his starting pay There is no $10 starting pay. Its either $8.50 or $9.50 for the first 90 days then it either goes to $9.50 or $10.50 When he said he was making $10.50 I assumed he was getting skilled pay. Can we agree that a person who is under the old progression is entitled to .70 raise and cant make any less then the new rate?

MNUPSER

With the pay increase I got AFTER the contract got pushed through (4/25/14) my rate of pay is only $11. No, I am not in a skilled position. I work in Small Sort.

upschuck

Then his starting pay is wrong or he is confused about his starting pay There is no $10 starting pay. Its either $8.50 or $9.50 for the first 90 days then it either goes to $9.50 or $10.50 When he said he was making $10.50 I assumed he was getting skilled pay. Can we agree that a person who is under the old progression is entitled to .70 raise and cant make any less then the new rate?
Yes, a PT employee can not make less than a new hire with same YOS.

Quigley

With the pay increase I got AFTER the contract got pushed through (4/25/14) my rate of pay is only $11. No, I am not in a skilled position. I work in Small Sort.
Ok so unskilled pay is: Start $8.50, 90 days $9.50 1 year seniority $10, 2 year $10.50 plus .70=$11.20
I was confused on your starting date regarding my previous posts, so I apologise for the mistake.

upschuck

You are getting the right pay, see my post 4 for an explanation. That used to be a skilled position until the bins light up like a Christmas tree now.

MNUPSER

8/1/11 I started at UPS making $8.50/hr. 11/1/11 When I hit seniority I got the $1 raise. The paycheck issued on 8/10/12 I got a raise of $0.50 putting me at $10.00/hr. The paycheck issued on 8/9/13 my pay went up to $10.50. That last $0.50 raise, according to my union steward, has nothing to do with the new contract and said that I "should" be expecting to get the $0.70 raise that was due on 8/1/13 that nobody was getting until the contract passed. Now that the contract passed the paycheck issued 5/2/14 my pay was increased by $0.50 putting me now at $11.00 an hour. That is the same rate of pay (according to the contract) as what a new hire would be making once they hit seniority ($10/hr to start +$1.00 upon hitting seniority. This is why I am very confused. Having been with UPS for going on three years, I am at seniority plus two years as of this moment, with the pay increase I am supposed to be making the same as a new hire who has hit seniority?

upschuck

Ok so unskilled pay is: Start $8.50, 90 days $9.50 1 year seniority $10, 2 year $10.50 plus .70=$11.20
I was confused on your starting date regarding my previous posts, so I apologise for the mistake.
Let's say the contract started Aug 1. The $11 would of been more than the 70¢, so would of gotten the $11, and not both. Should get retro for all hours worked below the $11.00 pay rate.

Quigley

8/1/11 I started at UPS making $8.50/hr. 11/1/11 When I hit seniority I got the $1 raise. The paycheck issued on 8/10/12 I got a raise of $0.50 putting me at $10.00/hr. The paycheck issued on 8/9/13 my pay went up to $10.50. That last $0.50 raise, according to my union steward, has nothing to do with the new contract and said that I "should" be expecting to get the $0.70 raise that was due on 8/1/13 that nobody was getting until the contract passed. Now that the contract passed the paycheck issued 5/2/14 my pay was increased by $0.50 putting me now at $11.00 an hour. That is the same rate of pay (according to the contract) as what a new hire would be making once they hit seniority ($10/hr to start +$1.00 upon hitting seniority. This is why I am very confused. Having been with UPS for going on three years, I am at seniority plus two years as of this moment, with the pay increase I am supposed to be making the same as a new hire who has hit seniority?
A new hire in unskilled position is $10 not $11 However I do think you are entitled for the additional .20 to make up the .70