A little confused about back pay

upschuck

8/1/11 I started at UPS making $8.50/hr. 11/1/11 When I hit seniority I got the $1 raise. The paycheck issued on 8/10/12 I got a raise of $0.50 putting me at $10.00/hr. The paycheck issued on 8/9/13 my pay went up to $10.50. That last $0.50 raise, according to my union steward, has nothing to do with the new contract and said that I "should" be expecting to get the $0.70 raise that was due on 8/1/13 that nobody was getting until the contract passed. Now that the contract passed the paycheck issued 5/2/14 my pay was increased by $0.50 putting me now at $11.00 an hour. That is the same rate of pay (according to the contract) as what a new hire would be making once they hit seniority ($10/hr to start +$1.00 upon hitting seniority. This is why I am very confused. Having been with UPS for going on three years, I am at seniority plus two years as of this moment, with the pay increase I am supposed to be making the same as a new hire who has hit seniority?
There is no seniority raise anymore. You have to work a year before you get any raise.

MNUPSER

There is no seniority raise anymore. You have to work a year before you get any raise.
Okay, I was not aware of that. That is one issue taken care of. However, before I ask any other questions, what is the difference, exactly, between an increase from progression and the annual GWI or are they the same thing?

Quigley

Okay, I was not aware of that. That is one issue taken care of. However, before I ask any other questions, what is the difference, exactly, between an increase from progression and the annual GWI or are they the same thing?
Only people that are in the old progression will get both. New hires after Aug 1 only get the progression not the annual. They wont get that till they get full scale.

upschuck

You are in a weird situation since your seniority date is Aug1. Most PTers in progression will get two smaller raises one on Aug 1, and one on seniority date(if that is higher than what they are at). You will just get one larger raise on Aug 1.