A Little Nervous, Pardon my Venting

MassWineGuy

Well, after two weeks of hearing nothing, I got a message this morning from a supervisor at my center asking me to call in. Maybe he just wanted to know how I was doing. Maybe he wanted to award me the Powerball jackpot. But more than likely, he probably wants me to come in tomorrow and drive. Distancing myself from it in my mind, I feel fine. I'm a good driver (even though a package car will take some adjusting) and I think I understand the other aspects of the job. Still, I'm somewhat nervous and maybe a little scared, as this is new to me.

As a friend of mine who drove a package car for 20 years told me, the most important thing to UPS is don't get in an accident because then their profit margin goes to zero. I'll keep that in mind.

thatsmypackage

You will probably be going out with a supervisor to learn a route... hopefully an area that you may already know well. :) You'll make deliveries and learn the DIAD at the same time. After a few days you'll get the hang of it. Biggest thing is sorting... learn to use the number system they have on the truck shelves. Before you know it, you'll be on your own... and THAT'S when it gets better.

At least you got a call... I'll probably be called to turn my uniforms in. LMAO. :)

MassWineGuy

It did cross my mind that maybe they called just to tell me to return the uniforms. It's been pretty danged cold here in New England lately. I need to get a UPS brown wool cap (not necessarily issued by UPS).

upschuck

Once you start driving, the nightmares start coming as well. Every driver I know has had them; 11 o'clock still have bunch of airs, 5 pm still have a full truck, that kind of thing.

Just so you know.

MassWineGuy

Once you start driving, the nightmares start coming as well. Every driver I know has had them; 11 o'clock still have bunch of airs, 5 pm still have a full truck, that kind of thing.

I'm sure that will happen, though I'll try my hardest to get all the airs delivered by 10:30.

MassWineGuy

Yeah, those caps were too damn tight. I'd like to get one of my own. I could use it, anyway. Or I could ask my wife to knit one.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Well, after two weeks of hearing nothing, I got a message this morning from a supervisor at my center asking me to call in. Maybe he just wanted to know how I was doing. Maybe he wanted to award me the Powerball jackpot. But more than likely, he probably wants me to come in tomorrow and drive. Distancing myself from it in my mind, I feel fine. I'm a good driver (even though a package car will take some adjusting) and I think I understand the other aspects of the job. Still, I'm somewhat nervous and maybe a little scared, as this is new to me.

As a friend of mine who drove a package car for 20 years told me, the most important thing to UPS is don't get in an accident because then their profit margin goes to zero. I'll keep that in mind.

It's been three weeks since my week long UPS training. The phone rang at around 7 this morning but I let the machine get it. It was the center calling me in for work for the first time. Later I spoke to the center manager who told me not to sweat it and come in tomorrow at 9.

Not that I agree with Dave very often, but I'm having a little problem justifying these two posts.

It did cross my mind that maybe they called just to tell me to return the uniforms. It's been pretty danged cold here in New England lately. I need to get a UPS brown wool cap (not necessarily issued by UPS).
When I first started I was so depressed. My first peak felt like it took for ever. It was worse then being in boot camp. Then it got better. Started learning routes, then got my own route. Started to but it in cruise control. It gets better year after year after year. If you like the job it's worth staying.

Last edited:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
My first peak I was running almost 300 stops a day. I was only driving for like 6 months. I was getting whooped so bad I didn't have time to tell myself how bad it sucked. Itll be hard at first but you just got to suck it up. Take little tiny mind breaks and get yourself together soldier. A little self meditation goes a long way to ease your mind and soul. Sounds dumb yes I know but trust me you will find yourself having to get your self together more than you even know or understand. Cant do this job if your mentally weak. All about survival when you start driving. Every driver has been through the first rough part.

kingOFchester

When I first started I never had nightmares at night about delivering. I had nightmares about being back on preload. Still have those every now and then.

Peak season clocking in at 12:30am, when I am use to going to bed at that hour still sends shivers down my spine. As bad as driving can be at times, it isn't as bad as loading 4-5 trucks with 300+ stops each for 8 hours.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
When I first started I never had nightmares at night about delivering. I had nightmares about being back on preload. Still have those every now and then.

Peak season clocking in at 12:30am, when I am use to going to bed at that hour still sends shivers down my spine. As bad as driving can be at times, it isn't as bad as loading 4-5 trucks with 300+ stops each for 8 hours.
1230? We were in between 11pm and midnight last peak.....out by 930. Exhausting....but nice fat paychecks lol.

MassWineGuy

I once applied for a local sort job. Permanent, 6:30 pm to around 10 pm. I took one look at the guy loading the feeder trucks and decided to forget it.