A.M. Time Allowance

local804

But if the preload isn't finishing their job and I am loading, I prefer to put it in my board that way so MY AM time doesn't become a topic of discussion down the road. I guess I am just a stickler for not falsifying my "time card". If your manager is telling you to put a certain "left bldg" time in your board whether you have left or not, that is falsifying your records. With all the time stamps we now have on deliveries, UPS knows how long it takes to get to your first stop every day. Putting in the REAL time you leave the bldg. covers you in case down the road someone wants to know why it took so long to get to your first stop. Honesty is the best protection, or is that supposed to be policy?

There is one problem I have with your solution house. You choose to sugarcoat your am time and I will not. When the building manager looks at his report the next day and notices that you have 10 minutes am time and I have 30 but we use the same loader we have a problem. I am doing my job correctly, you are not, and I look like the bad guy. Thats where the eyes shift to me, I get followed to see if I am using proper methods, grabbing the hand rails, putting dates on pickup logs ect ect.If you do your job correct like myself and the other driver in the loop, they see the problem as a preload issue and will follow methods like what pretzelman said. They will audit the loader, maybe move a bulk stop to a van to give the loader more time to work ect ect.
Do the job correct and dont sugar coat anything. Your name wont be a topic of discussion for doing the job right but it will be when they notice how many times you use your other key.

We(in my center) have been instructed many times to not put anything under "other work" without prior approval, PERIOD. When I exit the building, I note the time and put that in the DIAD as my "left building" time. If this blows the AM time allowance, it's not my problem, it is honest reporting of my left building time.
All of the allowances are THEIR numbers. As far as I am concerned they are digging the hole that preload finds themselves in every morning and I don't feel the urge to worry about it. The problem is that they want to bitch and moan about US being over allowed on this or that when it's the unfair adjustments in THEIR numbers that create the situations, again not my problem. Shoot, according to THEIR numbers I am anywhere from 15-45 minutes over allowed when I leave the building each day.

Tony31yrs

They would always be on us about A.M. time, but we would just go about our wrapup in the proper way and on the clock. If the preload supe would get in our faces about "his" A.M. time, we would just tell him to get the cars loaded on time so that we could get out in the 12 minutes allowed by IE. I wasn't about to eat building time and make incompetence look good.

Mike Hawk

There is one problem I have with your solution house. You choose to sugarcoat your am time and I will not. When the building manager looks at his report the next day and notices that you have 10 minutes am time and I have 30 but we use the same loader we have a problem. I am doing my job correctly, you are not, and I look like the bad guy. Thats where the eyes shift to me, I get followed to see if I am using proper methods, grabbing the hand rails, putting dates on pickup logs ect ect.If you do your job correct like myself and the other driver in the loop, they see the problem as a preload issue and will follow methods like what pretzelman said. They will audit the loader, maybe move a bulk stop to a van to give the loader more time to work ect ect.
Do the job correct and dont sugar coat anything. Your name wont be a topic of discussion for doing the job right but it will be when they notice how many times you use your other key.
So your supes actually care about how well your loaders do? Odd...Our loaders only get written up for 5 or more misloads a day, 20 a week, horrible stop order, and needing drivers to wrap is fine with our supes. I guess you have it good.

New Englander

In all honesty though there are lot's of guys who stand around and gab or go through their load or drive over to their personal cars all prior to leaving.

Thats the real problem.

H

hseofpayne

We will both have the same "left building" time you ******! We will have the same total AM time, mine will just be accurately split between jobs performed. Only difference is, I am smart enough and HONEST enough to record my time just how it is being used. I charge my time I spend loading my car to the preLOAD cause thats what da hell I am doing, loading my car. The only difference between you and I ; I prefer to be honest when recording the description of the work I am doing! So since you falsify your timecard, maybe you are the BAD guy, or at least the guy not smart enough to cover his own ARSE! Months down the road when they ask you about particular days where your AM time was 30 minutes, you can show where 20 of those minutes were spent loading your car.

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't have paid breaks. We have one hour meal time, to be taken "preferably" by the (I think) 5th hour. In the Diad under Meal/break there are 4 lines if we want to break it up instead of taking it all at once. All time in this area is deducted from the total hours from punch in/punch out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our preload was having a really hard time making its numbers so our center manager instructed us that our leave bldg time was to be the same as our start time. This lasted for about a week due to the resistance with which this new directive was met by the drivers, especially when we would spend 10-15 min wrapping up our pkg cars and were still told to put 8:50 as our left bldg time and to make up this lost time on the road.

H

hseofpayne

Our preload was having a really hard time making its numbers so our center manager instructed us that our leave bldg time was to be the same as our start time. This lasted for about a week due to the resistance with which this new directive was met by the drivers, especially when we would spend 10-15 min wrapping up our pkg cars and were still told to put 8:50 as our left bldg time and to make up this lost time on the road.

Exactly, if you record exactly what you are doing with your time, it gets charged to the correct group, in this case the preload. If you absorb the time into your own AM time as you were being told to do, the preload doesn't have to worry about being wrapped up, but you can bet you will have to worry about being over allowed. Just common sense stuff.

Mike Hawk

I never could understand why managers would sacrifice driver numbers for preload numbers. Our preload costs roughly 200 an hour in employee pay, the drivers get paid about 1300 an hour on OT, which they will all be on at the end of the day, so any extra time is on OT. HMM, pay 200/hour for preloaders to wrap or 1300 for drivers, such a hard business decision. If I ran the show and wanted to save money I would have cheap preloaders doing everything possible to reduce expensive driver OT.

New Englander

Exactly, if you record exactly what you are doing with your time, it gets charged to the correct group, in this case the preload. If you absorb the time into your own AM time as you were being told to do, the preload doesn't have to worry about being wrapped up, but you can bet you will have to worry about being over allowed. Just common sense stuff.

No...you absolutely don't understand this. The Preload gets hit with ALL of our AM time unless it's put under safety meeting etc.....it doesn't matter how you code it.

Pretrip, PCM and sort load are all the same when it comes to charging the preload.