A.M. Time Allowance

J

justgetthejobdone

AM time is high priority because the preloader is on the clock and so are you. Y pay to people. excess cost needs to be offset by cutting runs. your time and the preloaders time affects the inside pph. 11-15 mins is more than suffice to get your supplies and get out of the building.

J

justdoyourjob

You can do this on the screen with your left building time. If I have to finish loading my truck it goes on preload time. If I have to unload at nite it goes on local sort time.

you dont charge that to local sort youalready are getting credit for unloading your car by putting in your recovery packages from your pickups. you are jsut creating a problem for the reload the ors and the center manager which in turn will eventually make its way back to you.....is that really worth it

you dont charge that to local sort youalready are getting credit for unloading your car by putting in your recovery packages from your pickups. you are jsut creating a problem for the reload the ors and the center manager which in turn will eventually make its way back to you.....is that really worth it
BS...The only credit you get for recovery packages are the Air, Hi Val and Haz-mat and that is only if you put it in the correct field. Besides that, if a driver has to unload their p/u packages the local sort should be charged for that time, they would be charged for it if a unloader did the work. Some of us believe in recording with integrity, obviously you don't.

mathematics

I never could understand why managers would sacrifice driver numbers for preload numbers. Our preload costs roughly 200 an hour in employee pay, the drivers get paid about 1300 an hour on OT, which they will all be on at the end of the day, so any extra time is on OT. HMM, pay 200/hour for preloaders to wrap or 1300 for drivers, such a hard business decision. If I ran the show and wanted to save money I would have cheap preloaders doing everything possible to reduce expensive driver OT.

AM time is about making sure the preload is wrapped so drivers who make a lot of money aren't being unproductive by not delivering packages. we wouldnt want a driver walking all over the place to find supplies, or go get a hand truck that is locked up somewhere (should be locked in the car). AM time is the preload's problem. The preload has to be wrapped before driver's start in order for the preload to be productive, and to not waste expensive driver time. If a driver has 30 minutes of AM time, then some of his/her overtime pay will be because of the preload and not because of his job of delievering packages. Why would we want to pay a driver overtime rate when the extra time isn't because of his route (well the 30 minutes of it, at least)?

Last edited:

mathematics

Why does UPS want to pay us overtime anyways?

drivers have to start at a certain time to get out air and service the customers. it doesnt do much good to come back to the building after 9 hours (9-1 for lunch) when the local or twilight sort doesn't start up yet. that's why overtime is planned in. plus, a lot of business plan pickups later in the day. that's why OT is planned.

drivers have to start at a certain time to get out air and service the customers. it doesnt do much good to come back to the building after 9 hours (9-1 for lunch) when the local or twilight sort doesn't start up yet. that's why overtime is planned in. plus, a lot of business plan pickups later in the day. that's why OT is planned.
That's not the answer I get when asking why so much OT. They tell us that it is much cheaper to pay overtime than to put another driver on the road.

J

justdoyourjob

BS...The only credit you get for recovery packages are the Air, Hi Val and Haz-mat and that is only if you put it in the correct field. Besides that, if a driver has to unload their p/u packages the local sort should be charged for that time, they would be charged for it if a unloader did the work. Some of us believe in recording with integrity, obviously you don't.
you are a service provider not on the local sort. It is not your job to unload your package car except for air, hv, int., and exceptions. If you code that out it effects your o/a. Performance-which then your ors will get on your case

J

justdoyourjob

That's not the answer I get when asking why so much OT. They tell us that it is much cheaper to pay overtime than to put another driver on the road.

it is cheaper now, after 200 reports we have to promote another full time driver, which in turn we have to hire another preloader. Now we have to pay full time benefits(about 400 dollars a week. Now we have another full time driver and more benefits to pay and now we dont have enough volume because of the economy and there is not enough work for everyone, by the way you can lower your o/a by following this 340 method. as soon as you break trace you are on lunch, you only get 1 mile to travel for your lunch, .5 mile there-.5 mile back. and dont try and hide it. we can now watch you.