A Marine To Be

Sammie

My 18 year old enlisted in the Marines last week.
Any Marines out there?
Any inside tips or info for parents?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Marines make great neighbors. We are right next door to Camp Pendleton and we love our Marines and take great satisfaction hearing them practice on the artillery ranges. Different neighborhoods will adopt Marines for having them to holiday dinners or other events......or get presents for their kids at Xmas time.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but I wish great luck to your son and you can be very proud !!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If your son will be stationed in the States and doesn't already have one buy him a cell phone and add him to your plan. Most major carriers allow you to add a line for $10 or so per month and all calls between you and him will be free. This may or may not be an option if he is sent overseas--check with your provider. Care packages and mail--I was stationed in Sicily for a year in the early '80s and mail call was the highlight of the day. Of course, that was before the Internet.

Your son will leave a boy and will come home a man.

Hillboy

My son was a Marine. Basic will be really tough on a recruit who is not ready to surrender to the rigors of boot camp. It is probably more important to be prepared mentally than physically. Likely, he will come to hate military life, yet love the Corps. He will gain many strengths from the experience. My son was a grunt, he was a machinegunner in Iraq and was decorated for performance under fire. He now has maturity and drive and will finish every task. Support at every phase of his hitch will make it easier for your son. Going to his graduation from boot camp will be one of the highlights of your life. His transformation will be incredible. Sadly, most are not willing to make the sacrifices that your son will make. Fortunately, we have some that will. Give him my highest regards and respect. God Bless, Hillboy.

Sammie

Thanks, guys. His cell phone, I pod and all that I will have to send him
after boot camp and combat training; not sure if a cell phone purchased
here would work overseas.
Congrat to UpstateNYUPSer and HB's son for their time served. I'm already planning out my boy's care packages and he doesn't leave home until July! Typical Mom stuff, I guess...
We have every intention of attending his boot camp graduation and
I also understand that the Marine birthday parties (formal balls) to celebrate the Corp's beginnings every November is also a pretty big deal.
The next four years should be interesting...

smf0605

Sammie,
As a mom that is about to welcome her son home from Iraq - all I can tell you is this - be very proud of the man you raised.

satellitedriver

My brother joined in 65' at the age of 18.
He lived in villages in the Indian country of Nam northwest of DaNang.
I have no wisdom, except to relate what my parents did.
They worried, they prayed, they wrote weekly letters.
One thing that my bro told me that meant so much to him was receiving a coffee can full of my mothers homemade chocolate chip cookies.
I helped my mother to bake and pack them very carefully in an old Folgers coffee can, so that they would arrive in perfect condition.
By the time he got them, they were a month old and nothing but crumbs.
He told me it was just like being home when he opened that can.
Times have changed since then,
email, video links, ect...., but one thing never changes,
and that is the knowledge that Home is still there for him and waiting for his return.
So, pray, support and be proud.
I will do all three for him.

trickpony1

Sammie-
Is he leaving immediately or delayed entry?
If delayed entry, have him wear the shoes/boots he is issued now in order to break them in. Blisters can be disabling during boot camp.
Also. if he has time, try to physically prepare for the rigors of BC, like jogging. sit ups. chin ups, weight lifting etc.

Sammie

Sammie-
Is he leaving immediately or delayed entry?
If delayed entry, have him wear the shoes/boots he is issued now in order to break them in. Blisters can be disabling during boot camp.
Also. if he has time, try to physically prepare for the rigors of BC, like jogging. sit ups. chin ups, weight lifting etc.

Thank you Trickpony -
Delayed entry but they've yet to issue him a shoe string...:dissapointed:
He found a Total Gym a few years back on E Bay for nearly nothing, has been involved in MMA for about a year and we all belong to 24 Hour Fitness. The recruiting office is starting to call him in for info; he came back today with a booklet on how long it should take to run 5 miles, etc.

On the radio today I heard that one of the biggest problems recruiters face these days are the number of overweight, out of shape people, teens in particular, who want to enlist. This won't be much fun for them!!!

trickpony1

Sammie-
I would suggest he ask his recruiter what footwear he will be issued and when it will be issued.
I don't know if the Corp issues tennis shoes for the physical aspects of boot camp but I can tell you from experience that blisters can cripple during boot camp.
A well broken-in pair of shoes/boots will prove invaluable in boot camp.
Being able to run 5 mile jogs will help also.
Good luck.

Another hint for boot camp:

if it moves, salute it!

Sammie

Sammie-
I would suggest he ask his recruiter what footwear he will be issued and when it will be issued.
I don't know if the Corp issues tennis shoes for the physical aspects of boot camp but I can tell you from experience that blisters can cripple during boot camp.
A well broken-in pair of shoes/boots will prove invaluable in boot camp.
Being able to run 5 mile jogs will help also.
Good luck.

Another hint for boot camp:

if it moves, salute it!

They're issued NaDa anymore. They just show up with ID and the clothes on their back. But I will give him your tip on wearing a pair of boots when he runs and works out this summer.

Reveille, Get up! Let's go! Get your A** in gear! Reveille! Get up Reveille!

Can you imagine if we tried to talk to our kids like that and how they'd respond? Ha!

hdkappler

My 18 year old enlisted in the Marines last week.
Any Marines out there?
Any inside tips or info for parents?
:happy2:i was in the navy.you should be proud.his first 3months will be hardest.remember if you thinks ups sup's are bad these di's would walk circles around any center manager's.and you can't talk back.good luck.be proud.:happy2:

hdkappler

:happy-very:to the proud father of the marine.he will have free medical and denital.free benefits plus 30 days vacation.better than brown.pay isn't as good as brown.but if he stays 20 years he can retire.:happy2:doesn't have union dues to pay either.some of the young guys would be smart to go into the armed forces.if i was 18 worked for brown with the economy the is.the best way.:peaceful:if he gets married i think they take care of your housing also.somethings are better than brown.when i was in back in sixtys.it wasn't as good as it is today.any upser who has kids in armed forces i wish to say thankyou.:happy2:

rod

Retired 22 years
While your in the service you think that it is the worst mistake you ever made in your life. After you get out you look back on it with fond memories. Even though I was drafted (1968) I still have many good memories of my Army days. :peaceful:

Sammie

:happy-very:to the proud father of the marine.he will have free medical and denital.free benefits plus 30 days vacation.better than brown.pay isn't as good as brown.

Pay isn't as good as brown....:please:

That's what I surmised until I discovered that his STARTING salary is what I earned after nearly 30 years as a UPS admin....:faint:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I received my Social Security earnings statement a short while ago and I was shocked at how little I made while I was in the service. I think my highest year was slightly over $20K; however, as was mentioned, everything is taken care of, especially if you are single. Medical, dental, housing and meals are all provided for if you are single and live on base.

On a separate note, I would love to see every 18 yr old male not enrolled at least half-time in college be required to serve 2 years in the military. That is my personal opinion.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
San Diego or Parris Island, and what's his MOS? Hopefully he didn't get conned into an open contract by a sneaky recruiter :wink2:.
Do not mail him any candy, snacks, etc. during boot camp, or he will pay dearly. Take a good pair of running shoes with you.
I'm sure a lot has changed, but the important things are still the same. Good luck to him.

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't think they even have KP anymore--- and the Drill Sargents can't hit, kick or spit on you like the "good old days":peaceful:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think they even have KP anymore--- and the Drill Sargents can't hit, kick or spit on you like the "good old days":peaceful:

No, they can't go Full Metal Jacket on you, but they come awfully close.

When I was in basic, the DI did not care for the way in which 2 of my classmates had made their bunk beds so he flipped them both at the same time and we then had 5 minutes to work together to put them together and make them.

Basic, at least in the Air Force, was a big mind game. The goal was to break down the individual to make them part of a team. I throroughly enjoyed my 7 1/2 yrs and at times regret not staying for 20.

Sammie

San Diego or Parris Island, and what's his MOS? Hopefully he didn't get conned into an open contract by a sneaky recruiter :wink2:.
Do not mail him any candy, snacks, etc. during boot camp, or he will pay dearly. Take a good pair of running shoes with you.
I'm sure a lot has changed, but the important things are still the same. Good luck to him.

Thanks Jonesy,

Not allowed to take anything with him but a drivers license. He
signed a 4 year contract with 4 additional years as a reservest. Not
sure what an open contract is.

His MOS is still in the works and as this whole process just began Christmas Eve, his preferred occupation is engineering; the recruiters
are checking out what slots are available for that. They're also trying to
enroll him in the Navy ROTC program (even though he joined the marines???) but that's highly competitive and not a for sure. Wish I knew more about these acronyms but military info is Greek to me.

Applicants living west of the Mississippi go to San Diego. East of the Miss., Parris Island. Women only attend Parris Island. We're in Colorado
so it will be San Deigo. Pendleton is right across the highway from the
beach; what a tease that will be. Kind of like the inmates of Folsom Prison
in Northern Calif who would jump into Folsom Lake from their complex if they only could.....:sad-very:

Funnily enough, my guy has already had a taste of what isn't even the beginning. For his physical, he stayed overnight in a hotel and they got him up at 3:00 am for an exam that lasted til noon. A nine hour physical which usually takes 10 minutes. Lesson #1 in Hurry Up And Wait.

We later went with him for the swearing in; he and the others sat in a room for about 5 hours waiting...and waiting. Early on, one of the kids fell asleep so they had to finish the wait standing at attention, and they hadn't even been sworn in yet! Sadly enough, we were the only parents there...

P.S. - Really appreciate the feedback from you all. It certainly lightens
the load!! :bigsmile2: