A Marine To Be

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Open contract means enlisting without a guaranteed MOS and letting the USMC decide what your MOS is going to be. That's how they get bodies for the jobs that no one wants (every cook I ever met came in open contract). A lot of open contracts do wind up in a combat arms MOS though, because they always need folks at the tip of the spear. Hopefully the recruiters will do right by him (fingers crossed).

If he wants to be an officer then they are doing the right thing looking at Navy ROTC, especially if he wants an engineering degree because he can get that at the Naval Academy and still be a Marine officer when he graduates. If he intends to make a career out of it the Academy is another plus because those guys tend to get promoted ahead of the officers who go through OCS at Quantico.

The worst thing about MCRD San Diego is that it's right next to the airport. Laying in the rack at night listening to those planes taking off every couple minutes can be a little rough if you're the type to get homesick.

He'll get to visit the beach when he goes through rifle qualification at Pendleton, but it probably won't be much fun :happy-very:.

trickpony1

Jones-
I thought ROTC was a program offered at many colleges to already enrolled college students.
I think she said her son was 18.

Sammie-
What were the results of his battery of aptitude tests? I would think the military would try to build upon his obvious aptitudes? If your son shows an obvious aptitude or abilitiy the Marines may send him to a school that encompasses his skills. Try to get an MOS that is applicable in the outside world.
Howitzer operator or tank crew member isn't in high demand in the outside world.

Sammie

Jones-
I thought ROTC was a program offered at many colleges to already enrolled college students.
I think she said her son was 18.

Trickpony,

My little person is still a high school senior. And if there's any involvement in ROTC it will begin after he leaves in July; my
understanding is that it entails Uncle Sam paying for him to attend a
4 year college near Pendleton.

But once again, ROTC is highly competitive. You know what happens when you start countin' them chickens too early...

Sammie-
What were the results of his battery of aptitude tests?

He took a series of nine separate tests, his cumulative score being an 88
out of I don't know what would be 100%, or there even is such a thing. He was then given the list of jobs and told to pick what he wanted. But all he wants to do is Kick A** and Take Names. Which I'm told isn't unusual for people during this war on terrorism who could make different choices. (Which also brings to mind people like Pat Tillman who had the world by the tail...)

I would think the military would try to build upon his obvious aptitudes? If your son shows an obvious aptitude or abilitiy the Marines may send him to a school that encompasses his skills.

This is probably one of the few choices the kids will be allowed to make;
how they'll spend their time in the service. He wants to be the one kicking down the doors (special forces) and nailing the bad guys.

Try to get an MOS that is applicable in the outside world.

Thank you!!! Exactly what the recruiters and I have been trying to hammer home. That's why they're stressing the engineering and this shot at the ROTC.

Howitzer operator or tank crew member isn't in high demand in the outside world.

My two nephews, who are brothers, scored well in the marines during Desert Storm but decided against any free college courses and focused on Reconn instead. Fine and good at the time, but now they'll be changing tires every day at Discount Tire for the next 30 years...

av8torntn

They're also trying to enroll him in the Navy ROTC program (even though he joined the marines???) but that's highly competitive and not a for sure. Wish I knew more about these acronyms but military info is Greek to me.

:

This is a very good program and if he gets the chance he should really give serious thought to it. The Army had something similar to this when I was in.

bigbrownhen

hello, i'm new to the site, but felt the need to reply. I also have a son in the military, he is a " tanker" currently stationed in South Korea. It is his first duty station, just got out of boot camp in August. I was a military wife to an Army grunt in the Gulf War so I had a little experience with how it all works, but it is different when its one of your kids. He is 20, but they are always your babies. Lots of good advice in this thread, but Mom to Mom, it will scare the daylights out of you sometimes, thats normal, just dont let them see it too often, we have to be strong, so they stay focused. The ROTC is a good program if he wants an education or be an officer. My youngest son is going to the Navy ROTC this fall in college. It can be a great experience for them either way. I suggest he talkes to some vetrans or current military soldiers if he knows any. They will offer the best advice. All for now, sorry if it was too long.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Sammie, Congrats and I know you are proud. As well you should be.
Its tough when they leave the nest, especially when he goes away and you may not be able to talk to him for weeks. I was physically sick when I could not talk to my son when he went to basic.
You watch over them all your life and suddenly you have no control. Instantly, the apron strings are cut.
In one split moment you have no way to contact your child to see how he is.
So on the Mom aspect, thats how it feels. So prepare yourself.
He was the same when he got out, just a little more mature. And i have always been proud. He is doing a very brave and respectable thing. But boot camp is pretty hard on Moms, the kids do fine!! :sad-very: