A Message to UPS Teamsters From Local 89 President Fred Z

Congratulations to all of our Brothers and Sisters of Local 89 for standing up against UPS and this terrible contract offer. We will continue to fight whoever stands in our way to achieve a contract we deserve. Our vote has rejected the Central Region Supplement and has protected every member in the Central Region from a terrible contract. You should be very proud of that. Air District members have sent a strong message to the Company and the IBT that we will not accept a concessionary supplement forced on us by the IBT. We have shown everyone the POWER of the VOTE. Going forward we will continue to fight until we achieve a contract we deserve.

The IBT says the National Agreement has been "ratified". That is not accurate. Although the National Agreement passed by 53% of the vote, it is NOT ratified until all of the supplements are ratified. We will continue to fight to maintain our benefits on Health Care.

For all the members in the Central Region who feel the same as we do...Local 89 saved your bacon once, join us and continue to vote NO until we succeed.

To all of our Local 89 Members...Our last NO vote was outstanding. Talk to all of your Brothers and Sisters who didn't vote and explain to them the Power of the Vote and encourage them to vote.

One last point...Rumors say Local 89 endorsed this agreement and the IBT sent a flyer stating that. Let me be perfectly clear. Local 89 did NOT endorse this agreement. Unless you hear me say that, don't take anything for granted. We had posted our Vote No recommendation on our website many weeks in advance of the IBT sending that flyer. They very well knew our position. Let's continue the fight.

In Solidarity,

Fred Z

Inthegame

Congratulations to all of our Brothers and Sisters of Local 89 for standing up against UPS and this terrible contract offer. We will continue to fight whoever stands in our way to achieve a contract we deserve. Our vote has rejected the Central Region Supplement and has protected every member in the Central Region from a terrible contract. You should be very proud of that. Air District members have sent a strong message to the Company and the IBT that we will not accept a concessionary supplement forced on us by the IBT. We have shown everyone the POWER of the VOTE. Going forward we will continue to fight until we achieve a contract we deserve.

The IBT says the National Agreement has been "ratified". That is not accurate. Although the National Agreement passed by 53% of the vote, it is NOT ratified until all of the supplements are ratified. We will continue to fight to maintain our benefits on Health Care.

For all the members in the Central Region who feel the same as we do...Local 89 saved your bacon once, join us and continue to vote NO until we succeed.

To all of our Local 89 Members...Our last NO vote was outstanding. Talk to all of your Brothers and Sisters who didn't vote and explain to them the Power of the Vote and encourage them to vote.

One last point...Rumors say Local 89 endorsed this agreement and the IBT sent a flyer stating that. Let me be perfectly clear. Local 89 did NOT endorse this agreement. Unless you hear me say that, don't take anything for granted. We had posted our Vote No recommendation on our website many weeks in advance of the IBT sending that flyer. They very well knew our position. Let's continue the fight.

In Solidarity,

Fred Z

PS Even though I silentlly sat on my hands at the two-man, as did my brave agents, now we've found our voice. Even though I was booted off the National Committee (where I fully endorsed every prior Hoffa agreement), even though I was stripped of the Car Haul Directorship, have been ignored at panels, I hold no grudge. One more thing...please make your $2000 check out to "Zuckerman for General President 2016".

stink219

PS Even though I silentlly sat on my hands at the two-man, as did my brave agents, now we've found our voice. Even though I was booted off the National Committee (where I fully endorsed every prior Hoffa agreement), even though I was stripped of the Car Haul Directorship, have been ignored at panels, I hold no grudge. One more thing...please make your $2000 check out to "Fred Z for General President 2016".
Lmao!! Much more accurate than the OP.

ogrelord

Ground Down
As long as they have a heart beat, i'll vote for them over Hoffa. same thing at my local, the status quo is over. this contract was a give back by Hoffa. 177,89,396 i'm proud of those locals, it gives me hope that in 5 years my stupid local will get on board for what's fair and fight for us.

Local 385 said it was the best they could get. I'm watching and waiting to see how much better these guys get. I hope they get the best contract ever. The No vote still has my support, even tho we took the scraps .

Last edited:

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Rumors have it local 89 par timers only pay $22 a month in dues and the IBT told them no longer! your members need to pay the same dues as everyone else. Pissed them off and so they went out and spread the vote no message to get back at the IBT! Not sure of the validity of any of this information as it comes from a line of he said she said, but I could see it happening!! If that's the case, they definitely put the hurtin on Hoffa!!

Let me say, I do agree with local 89's position that part timers only guaranteed 15hrs a week should not have to pay $70 a month in dues!

Last edited:

Inthegame

Let me say, I do agree with local 89's position that part timers only guaranteed 15hrs a week should not have to pay $70 a month in dues!

In order to pay $70 a month dues that part timer would need to make $28 per hour, which would mean they're high seniority, which would mean no one below them should be working more than the minimum. That would be by choice or it wouldn't happen. That $70 a month dues payer would (at a minimum) average $1820 a month, with complete benny's including pension for pt work.
Now if that "harmed" employee quit he/she would need to find a $27 an hour non-union (no dues) job with those same perks to break even. Lot's of those around.
When you spend a minute doing math in changes the perspective, mon ami.

@Inthegame:

Hey "In the Game"....before you try to dazzle everyone with your "math", you need to do a little research to back up your little "word problem". First off...Air District part-time Teamsters are only guaranteed 3hrs per day (not 3.5...3 hours) with the exception of the "6hr" classification which numbers less than 600. Second, here's a little word problem of my own for you.

In the Air District there are roughly 8800 union employees. Of that number less than 1000 are full-time. Less than 600 are part-time employees with a 6 hour guarantee.

So...take a minute, or an hour, or a day or hell, maybe even a week, to figure that out. More than 6000 workers are only guaranteed 3 hours per day. The increases in dues are a tremendous hit to their paycheck. Further, it takes about 17 years at this point to reach full-time in the Air District. Do the math, and you'll see why a lower dues rate is extremely important to part-time Teamsters, not only in Local 89, but the rest of the country.

Hey "In the Game"....before you try to dazzle everyone with your "math", you need to do a little research to back up your little "word problem". First off...Air District part-time Teamsters are only guaranteed 3hrs per day (not 3.5...3 hours) with the exception of the "6hr" classification which numbers less than 600.

Second, here's a little word problem of my own for you:

In the Air District there are roughly 8800 union employees. Of that number less than 1000 are full-time. Less than 600 are part-time employees with a 6 hour guarantee.

So...take a minute, or an hour, or a day or hell, maybe even a week, to figure that out. More than 6000 workers are only guaranteed 3 hours per day. The increases in dues are a tremendous hit to their paycheck. Further, it takes about 17 years at this point to reach full-time in the Air District. Do the math, and you'll see why a lower dues rate is extremely important to part-time Teamsters, not only in Local 89, but the rest of the country. The current dues rate under the IBT Constitution disproportionately affects part-time workers. Had full-time jobs been a high priority to in negotiations, your argument might have had more validity.

Last edited:
If you would like to read Local 89's continual requests for dues waivers for part-timers please visit:

Teamsters Local 89

Follow the link below to read requests for dues waivers dating back to Summer 2012. You'll also find Ken H's poor attempt at using the dues increase, which he imposed, to distract Local 89 members from voting against the National Master, Central Region and Air Supplement. This just made the membership even more angry with the IBT and ignited the Vote No Movement. Didn't work. 89% voted NO!

Teamsters Local 89

We are glad, however, that ST Ken H did finally see things our way...be it politically motivated or not.

Billy Boxtosser

In order to pay $70 a month dues that part timer would need to make $28 per hour, which would mean they're high seniority, which would mean no one below them should be working more than the minimum. That would be by choice or it wouldn't happen. That $70 a month dues payer would (at a minimum) average $1820 a month, with complete benny's including pension for pt work.
Now if that "harmed" employee quit he/she would need to find a $27 an hour non-union (no dues) job with those same perks to break even. Lot's of those around.
When you spend a minute doing math in changes the perspective, mon ami.

I'm a part timer making $23.59 an hour and my dues are $69 a month. It's pathetic that a driver making $80k or more a year pays the same as me who barely made $25k!!

Inthegame

For some of us, simple math isn't dazzling. I was responding to a specific post in which someone claimed $70 dues per month was too high. My math is accurate but the point you've obviously missed is that guy is the exception, not one of the 6000 you mention. Actually I agree that the rate (2.5X) for pt air work with a 3 hour guarantee is excessive and should be lowered exactly as Fred was allowed to do years ago (when he supported Hoffa). That was a good move. He should start making them again. But if Freddy boy was soooo concerned with excessive dues for pt's why didn't he push for a Constitutional Amendment in 2011. Oh that's right...he was pushing Fred's agenda to advance his career.
One more question, how many of the 6000 didn't know what the dues were when they applied for the job? The rates went up a long time ago partner so most pt's knew the deal going in. Those around when the increase came in 2002 are making a negotiated wage today sufficient to pay those dues, as was the point of the post.
PS. Stay off of T-Net, the posts here are usually much more thoughtful... well not always...

Here we go again...

Inthegame. As I said in the previous reply, get your info correct before you post some "slam" on Fred Z. Now I know you're really into the idea of our most economically vulnerable members having their paychecks gutted once a month, but you need to quit letting your undying love for Ken H blind you from what is just and responsible.

Had you actually checked your facts, you'd know the dues increase was forced on us in 2012. Prior to that, part-timers at Local 89 had paid the reduced rate, approved by Tom K, which they had enjoyed for over a decade.

Convention:2011
Dues Increase: 2012

Again, do the math.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inthegame

Here we go again...

Inthegame. As I said in the previous reply, get your info correct before you post some "slam" on Fred Z. Now I know you're really into the idea of our most economically vulnerable members having their paychecks gutted once a month, but you need to quit letting your undying love for Ken H blind you from what is just and responsible.

Had you actually checked your facts, you'd know the dues increase was forced on us in 2012. Prior to that, part-timers at Local 89 had paid the reduced rate, approved by Tom K, which they had enjoyed for over a decade.

Convention:2011
Dues Increase: 2012

Again, do the math.

Reread my post, or have someone with a modicum of comprehension skills read it to you, as you not only failed at math but reading/understanding seems to be lost on you. I specifically stated I believe dues for pt's with limited hours should be lowered. Did you miss that somehow with your blind allegiance to Fred Z who never thought enough of ANY part timer to bring that legitimate matter to the IBT 2012 Convention floor?
I know that is tough to answer, and embarassing to realize you're now being duped by this "savior".
Anyway sparky, the special convention to raise the dues rates to 2.5X for +$11.00 wages was in 2002. That's what I was refering to, sorry I assumed you knew that. The increase in 2012 for L89 pt's was the result of the "politically" motivated IBT audit (co-incidentally done to nearly every non-Hoffa supporting local) which is business as usual in IBT land and these practices were well known by Zuck before he joined up with Gegare in 2011. And he was surprized by the new GST's actions? Right.

govtmule

Rumors have it local 89 par timers only pay $22 a month in dues and the IBT told them no longer! your members need to pay the same dues as everyone else. Pissed them off and so they went out and spread the vote no message to get back at the IBT! Not sure of the validity of any of this information as it comes from a line of he said she said, but I could see it happening!! If that's the case, they definitely put the hurtin on Hoffa!!

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/...cal-89-president-fred-z-351083/#ixzz2XYLYnHvY

From my conversations with other members of local 89, they have indicated that the increase seemed unfair. They based this on the fact that many of them make very little take home pay. I have not gotten the impression that the vote no movement has any connections to dues increases. The vote no movement seems to steam from UPS's blatant disregard for simple requests to improve working conditions and give more people the chance to make a living wage or full-time pay. Since I am in Worldport each day, I can say that more young people that did not vote last time are getting involved. I feel the vote no movement and participation is starting to grow.

Billy Boxtosser

I agree totally.Strange though I make $24.59 and my dues are $15.25 a week or $61 a month.How can you be paying more?

It's different everywhere. The day I transferred here from Cleveland, OH to Maine my dues went up $12 a month, for far less superior representation.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
These central states cry babies are in for a shock. Lets say you get the rest of the country to pay your bills with a new supplement. When Hoffa gets his bill passed in congress that will allow the Teamsters to cut already accrued pension benefits and even for those already retired you see what a real hair cut looks like.

Keep spitting in the wind you revolutionaries.